1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Buying Points on SWA

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by bluesdude, Oct 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluesdude

bluesdude High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So has anyone purchased SWA points? They had a deal if you purchased points, they would add a certain %, whatever you qualified for. I qualified for 40%. The offer ends November 1st. I just purchased 28,000 for $550 (20,000 + 8,000 bonus points). This was the equivalent to an impulse buy, but it seemed like a good deal. We will be using these in at a later date. Was this a good deal? Dumb move? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just checked fares and a flight that costs me $402 was 23,894 points. So 1.68 cents/point. You paid $550 for 28000 points or 1.96 cents/point. So you paid more than they were worth.

Golden Nugget
    Wynn
  3. greekjim

greekjim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea I have always noticed that unless you need to buy like a only few hundred points to get enough for a ticket, it isn't worth it.

4. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buying points is never a "good deal" for the reason that Hogman stated. Even during promotions, they will always charge you more than what the points are worth.

That said, I have done it a couple times in the past in certain scenarios when an expensive flight is involved. Say I'm flying home for the holidays and flights each way are around $300. Also say that I'm 1800 points shy of being able to pay with points. In this scenario, I'll most likely buy 2000 points for $50 or $60 or whatever, even though it's not a good value. I'll do it so I can pay with points, rather than pay $300 for the flight.

If SW allowed you to pay for a flight using a mix of cash and points, then there would never be a reason to buy points.

5. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buying points on southwest isn't a good deal because the points are only worth about 1.7 cents each no matter how you use them.

Buying points on other airlines (such as AA or UA) can be very smart since you can use them to buy international business class tickets at a big discount. Also buying points with the hotel chains can be good at times as well.

7 Stars Signature Event
    New Years Eve in Vegas
  6. bluesdude

bluesdude High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bummer. I had a feeling i was going to hear something like this. Live and learn.

7. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At worst, you lost $100 on the deal.

That's one blackjack bet for you, or perhaps one hooker.

7 Stars Signature Event
    New Years Eve in Vegas
    • Like Like x 1
  8. bluesdude

bluesdude High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that is funny!

I should really know better. After reading some of these posts, I think we have talked about this before in the forum. I don't know if it makes it any better that the CC I used I get 1.25 points per dollar for.

9. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it is rarely a good idea. you would have to be really close to a certain threshold that you need to get to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.