1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Budget vs Payless?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by nurs1963, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nurs1963

nurs1963 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Budget vs Payless ????

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We rent cars often, but never in Vegas. Personally, I don't think there is much difference among the majors. We generally take the best deal we can find.

Some reason you are only looking at those two?

3. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We use Hotwire or Priceline almost exclusively, (much cheaper than the company's own websites). The only bad experience out of nearly 100 rentals in Las Vegas was with Budget. Literally stood in line for an hour when there were three people working and only four people in line ahead of me. Counter people were giving everyone the hard sell for full coverage and for vehicle upgrades and for ever other possible thing there was. The man next to me at the counter when I finally got there finally told the lady to "just give me the $%#@ keys and shut the $%#& up! My guess is that they were short of cars and were stalling people at the counter.
    If you don't feel comfortable without insurance added, check out the website, insuremyrentalcar.com which is much cheaper for you if you rent more than 10 days a year. I learned about it here on VMB (I think from dmr), and it's a good deal.

4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I consider Budget (little sister of Avis) higher on the pecking order.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. 21wins

21wins VIP Whale

One thing you may want to consider is renting off site and taking an Uber/Lyft to the rental office. You usually can save $80 or more on the rental.

I currently have a reservation with Dollar(on Swenson) for our August trip. booked it a couple weeks ago (9 days for $184 all in). Same car thru Dollar or other carriers at the airport is currently $285 or more for the same rental.
    BTW there is a Budget on Tropicana just past the Orleans.

I am aware that prices should drop as my date gets closer (and I'll rebook if I can get a better deal on an airport or offsite rental with a major company). But my opening price wasn't so bad. Just have to keep checking.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  6. nurs1963

nurs1963 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not especially ..he was just going through AARP

7. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have a Costco card check Costco travel under rental cars and you should find some very good rates. Happy travels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I absolutely hate wasting my Vegas time standing in line at the rental center. Dollar is my usual go-to company, since I am an "express" member and can head right out to the garage, jump in my car and be on Las Vegas Blvd in a matter of minutes. I'm pretty sure some of the other major companies also have free membership for their express programs. You'll also read on VMB how important it is to keep checking prices and re-book whenever you can save some money.
    Safe travels and good luck!

9. djslots

djslots Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally I have Budget with Fastbreak, they already have my selections of what I want, which is nothing on insurance and return without filling up. In the past though, I have battled some long lines with Budget but after getting Fastbreak and skipping the lines, well worth it. Free as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hmmmm ... I was not aware that Payless was owned by Avis as well.

12. daveg000

daveg000 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used Budget through AARP our last trip, (9 Days) got a new KIA Minivan with 450 miles on the odometer, for $325 - this was $300 less than we normally pay with Thrifty. The Key was going through AARP. Yes I had to spend a 10 minutes more in line instead of just walking to the car, and take a twice as long walk to the car, but for $300 less it was worth it. Now, I have used AARP to book non Vegas hotels and have saved a bunch, over the other prices I could find on the Internet..

13. MTMONGO

MTMONGO High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have rented through Payless 4 or 5 times in LV, not 1 issue. Read contract before you sign, that goes for all rental companies.

14. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We rented from them for the first time last trip and we were upcharged about 25%. Thanks to this forum though, I was aware this wasn't an uncommon practice. So my g/f refused to sign the contract. They came back and gave us an upgrade to the next class for about 10% less than what we were quoted on priceline. After that it was fine.

15. mcmann14

mcmann14 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Traveled a lot for work the last year and I've always rented from Budget. Never had a problem.

16. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Who owns who?
    1. Hertz - Dollar - Thrifty - Firefly (Hertz used to own Advantage, but sold it when they acquired Dollar/Thrifty)
    2. Enterprise - National - Alamo
    3. Avis - Budget - Payless - Zipcar
    4. Advantage - EZ Rental Car
    Stand alone's
    5. Sixt
    6. Ace
    7. Rent a wreck
    8. Fox
    I think this covers most of the territory.

• Informative Informative x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.