1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bruce Boudreau Out As Wild Coach

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Breeze147, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Game Of Musical Coaches continues.

This is just to plant a seed: Shayne Gostisbehere from the Flyers to Calgary for Johnny Gadreau.

• Like Like x 1
  2. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel bad for Gabby. I wonder if this is it for him. He is a good coach but, has had trouble getting his teams over the hump multiple times. Scary thought on age, I remember watching him in junior (I was young though)! He was a great junior and minor league player but, could never stick in the show.

3. Calder

Calder High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm no cap-ologist, but I'm not sure that trade fits under the Flyers limit -- they have to absorb another $2M+. May have to do some juggling or get Calgary to retain some salary.

Everybody seems to like Boudreau. I wonder if that's the problem. (Along with some awful contracts)

4. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight King of no media

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not an NHL expert, but I didn't sense there was a lot of civil unrest here in MN with Bruce as coach. I'm sure he had his critics, but it didn't seem like he was viewed as the problem. When Mike Yeo was gassed four years ago, it seemed like there was more finger pointing at him than there was at Bruce. As was pointed out to me via talk radio today, the less-than-spectacular record of the Wild didn't bode well for Bruce, given the GM seat has been musical chairs since Bruce's initial boss, Chuck Fletcher, was turned loose nearly two years ago.

Every GM has to have their guy, and a claim as to why Bruce wasn't gassed last season under Fletcher's immediate predecessor was that he had a contract running through this season, and ownership didn't want to pay for two head coaches for 1.5 years.

Final year of the contract, second GM since Fletcher was cut loose: It's not so much of a surprise Bruce is out of a job. But on Valentine's Day! (That was noted on sports talk radio today.)

5. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Ramblin' Gamblin' Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fletcher will always be remembered for one of the coolest gestures in sports history. Wish the Blackhawks would replace John McDonough and Stan Bowman with solid people like Chuck Fletcher.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020 at 6:51 PM
    First Ever Leap Year Day Vegas Trip! Viva Retirement!!!
  6. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    they'd also need to find some actual talent to send back beyond Gostisbehere. It's not a realistic trade.

Also, FYI, you're not really doing the cap how it works, you'd pro-rate cap hit by what portion of the season is left. And Flyers have some LTIR credits they could use.

7. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will forever hold a little black spot in my soul for the Minnesota Wild. Mainly because their owner, Craig Leipold, was out in front bitching about NHL player contracts then signed two guys to $9 million contracts when they most certainly didn't deserve them. THEN the NHL had a lockout, mainly because of stupid contracts like Leipold gave out.

http://www.htphockey.com/2012/07/craig-leipold-hypocrite-or-hero.html

Let's try this Thanksgiving thing again
  8. tallsamoan

tallsamoan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lol, keep dreaming, would be a bad trade for cowtown.
    Flamers still suck, though, with or without Johnny Hockey.

Screw it, why not??
  9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really want to unload Ghost. I believe he is holding the rest of the defense back. He has really taken some major backwards steps. Maybe it's time for him to get a change of scenery. Okay, Ghostibehere to anybody for a 3rd and a 4th rounder.

I will always want to somehow get Gadreau on the Flyers, since he's a local guy.

Meanwhile, Tyler Toffoli to Canucks. This could be huge.

10. tallsamoan

tallsamoan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok, don't disagree. He could use a change of scenery. May be a decent fit on the soon to be mighty Oilers.
    Local? As in New Jersey?? Slightly overrated player. Streaky scorer with a wee bit of an attitude, but nothing else. Could develop into a Taylor Hall II, which is not a compliment.

Screw it, why not??
  11. waverunner

waverunner ------VEGA$------

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, i called it, just after Tyler scored a hat trick. He will help the Nucks.
    And, get ready to hear Alec Martinez getting traded from the Kings also. He is not on the roster for the Jets game tonight.
    Alec is a fine young defense man and will help a playoff bound team to shore up their roster. Playoffs means one thing only.....hot goaltender and stable defense, which allowed the Kings to win 2 Cups. So long Tyler and Alec, both Stanley Cup champions, god luck in your future endeavors.

12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He grew up and went to high school in the Philadelphia Metro area. His Dad owns a rink. He grew up rooting for the Flyers.

13. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Martinez is a 32 year old bottom pair caliber D under contract for next year for $4 M. He's the kind of guy you trade for and go, huh, last time I saw him play was in 2016 and he was a lot better then.

Toffoli was the one you wanted to trade for.

14. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When it comes to the playoffs, all bets are off. If you had told me last season that Jay Bouwmeester would be part of the shutdown pairing for the Blues in the playoffs, I would have laughed at you, but that's what happened. He probably is a top 4 d-man for Vegas right away.

Let's try this Thanksgiving thing again
  15. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Blues survived the Jay Bouwmeester experience because they put him next to a top 20 NHL D-Man who covered up his weakness. Teams should be focusing on acquiring good players, not players who can randomly be passable for two months at a time. He's been a press box caliber hockey player for multiple seasons now. Alec Martinez has been something similar in 2020. Teams should not be trading for him. The three defensemen traded yesterday are all much better than him. Those are the guys you wanted. And it's no coincidence that their ages all begin with a 2 and not a 3.

This is a common hockey trope, but the truth is a lot of teams overplay bad/mediocre old D like Jay Bouwmeester or Alec Martinez with some misguided logic that they know how to shut things down, when all they are doing is shutting down their own team's offense because they can't get the puck out of their own zone. A lot of defensive D are terribly overrated. We think they are good because we see them playing lots of defense. But really good defenders are generally the ones who are spending tons of time moving the puck through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone, like Pietrangelo. They are doing so because they are controlling play and creating many more chances for your team than they are allowing defensively. Someone like Jay Bouw puts your team in "hold on for dear life" mode, where you're simply trying to minimize the chances that you give up a goal.

• Love Love x 1
  16. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, but Martinez HAS experienced Cup runs and owns one of the most iconic goals in Playoff history.

17. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Six and eight years ago on a team with 18 other guys playing.

If all you want is LA Kings rings and experience, Willie Mitchell is a free agent.

It has been all of 8 months since a team won the Cup with basically all of their decent players (Tarasenko, Binnington, Petro, Parayko, Schenn, O'Reilly) never having won a cup or even having played in the finals. This stuff is so overrated. Play the best players you can put on the ice, not guys who have jewelery from over half a decade ago and who had a good highlight once. There are probably teams he can help a little as an insurance policy. But that's about it. He's not Dillon or DeMelo.

18. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, that’s a very valid point.

However, I would say never downplay experience. The Flyers would not be fighting for a playoff spot without Matt Niskanen, Justin Braun and Kevin Hayes bringing that experience and veteran savvy to the locker room and having huge influence on guys like Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, Hagg, Farrabee and others.

And I believe Brian Elliott has provided great mentor ship to Carter Hart.

I think Martinez can bring that to Vegas.

IMHO, the Blues Stanley Cup is like the Eagles Super Bowl, a very nice surprise that should not have happened.

19. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Blues were a good team for a number of years. It takes some luck to win but they were a good team from 2015-2020 or so who made the playoffs a number of times. You only have to get hot once!

Martinez could fill in for Vegas as a third liner, although, yeesh, maybe don't make your cap situation so bad that you have to trade away Colin Miller and Erik Haula for peanuts to then turn around and spend more than each of their cap hits on a worse player.

20. tallsamoan

tallsamoan Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ahh...understood! Go Oil!!:woohoo:

Screw it, why not??