1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Brady suspension for 4 games upheld

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Joe, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:

2. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

3. wpete

wpete High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

4. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband is in computer security, and he has insisted that we destroy cell phones, hard drives, and anything that could possibly have personal information on it for years. I am honestly surprised that everyone doesn't do this.

It makes me sick to hear Goodell talk about integrity. The NFL is an embarrassment thanks to his lack of leadership. He finally chooses this battle to make a show of strength? Ridiculous.

5. Funkhouser

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:

7. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    watching the press conference from gillette... it's like a SNL skit...
    Kraft admitted he fucked up trusting goodell.

8. Funkhouser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I just read some more facts of the case which are pretty interesting:

The NFL had asked to see the phone's text messages but lacked subpoena power to force Brady to comply. Now the text messages are gone and cannot be retrieved, according to a letter from the football star's cell phone provider.

His representatives turned over requested cell phone records and emails, Brady said, and tried to obtain text messages from his old phone from the cell phone provider. Only the phone numbers related to the text messages could be obtained.

Brady was given the opportunity to go thru his phone and hand over select text messages himself, but he declined.

During the 10-hour-long appeals hearing at NFL headquarters in New York, Brady said the phone had been destroyed (On the day he was interviewed by league investigators) because it was his usual practice when he got a new mobile phone.

Sorry Tom, things don't look good in the court of public opinion.

9. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hehehehe....do you know how texting works? A copy of his text shows up on the other phone, so there would be a record of any incriminating text.
    But they went through the two phones of the actual ball guys, and they found NOTHING. Those are the facts, you can look it up in the Wells report and on the Interweb.

10. Funkhouser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you just proved my point. Is Brady guilt of deflating balls or failing to cooperate with a league investigation? I think Goodell has grounds to suspend him, and unfortunately the league and fans will suspect him of being guilty for destroying evidence that could in theory have cleared him of any wrong doing.

A reasonable person would look at this and ask, Why Tom didn't you just volunteer to hand over any texts between you an coaching staff from your phone, when given the opportunity? He says his lawyers advised him not to.

11. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What point did I help prove for you?
    Do you agree that a text message does not exist in isolation, that the receiver has a copy of the text? Brady gave them a list of the phone numbers he had called and texted. Were any text messages unaccounted for? The answer is NO. So where is the evidence?

12. Funkhouser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your defense of Brady is the following I think. Since no text messages were on the recipients phones, then no communication took place correct? Thereby Tom never attempted any communication via his mobile device with the equipment staff, My point is, and I believe the NFL Commissioner was right here. Volunteering to turning over text messages (or ones thru other applications)or allowing his phone to be searched by NFL head office, Would do nothing to incriminate him so in an effort of good faith to cooperate with investigators Tom was given an opportunity to cooperate with the league, but chose to refuse to do so, thereby implying he had some involvement in the matter. Maybe he had naked pictures of Gisele Bundchen or embarrassing photos of himself. I don't know. The NFL is business, so the commissioner has full authority to level any action he feels is in the interest of the organization or its owners.

I equate it to same scenario if you get stopped by a police officer who noticed you left the scene of the crime, and asks to search the trunk of the car or asks you to tell whats in the trunk and you refuse. That cop is going to detain you and get a warrant regardless your innocence. Lack of cooperation can be construed as implication of guilt. NFL fans will question Tom Brady's sincerity and truthfulness, which thereby damages the image of the NFL and the Patriots.

BTW I just saw this article online, which I think articulates Brady's situation pretty well. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/tom-brady-lawsuit-let-it-go-deflategate-suspension-accept-it-new-england-patriots-deflategate

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  13. yoyoseven

yoyoseven Grizzled Vereran

Trips to Las Vegas:
    C'mon Joe, you know the Pack's in it to win it this year.

14. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let's go with your analogy: the cops pull you over, you refuse to let them search the trunk. They detain you, get a warrant etc.
    NOW, once they open the trunk, and they find NOTHING, they LET YOU GO FREE!
    The footballs were NOT deflated at the beginning of the AFC Championship game, so there was no crime, so he needs to go free.

By the way, you can cite all the online articles you want, I can match them with just as many supporting Brady and damning the NFL and its incompetence.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/full-text-patriots-owner-krafts-statement-brady-152641179--nfl.html

By the way, you haven't addressed my original point that if there was an incriminating text, they would have found it without Brady's phone.

15. Funkhouser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TP,
    I don't think we can establish the fact whether there was or was not an incriminating text, since the NFL admitted they did not have a list of everyone Tom contacted. See below Goodell comment.

Look I get it, you are a die hard Pats fan. Tom would be proud. Your going to defend your team no matter what. This is just a case of the big mean old NFL commissioner picking on Brady.
    I am not arguing for or against Brady's guilt. I am just saying IMHO the punishment fits, maybe cut the suspension to two games. BTW you are being equally evasive in your defense of Brady by not answering the question
    other NFL fans are asking. Why did Tom destroy his phone the day he met with league investigators (Tom claims it was broken).

I think the answer lies below. Anyway I am done with this thread, simply because I don't really care and have made up my mind. IMHO Brady should just let it go and move on, nothing he does at this point is going to improve his public image to NFL fans (except Pats fans.

Tom Brady
    "I also disagree with yesterdays narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells investigation, that failing to subject my cell phone to investigation would result in ANY discipline." (Toms not letting anyone look at his phone, too bad it could have provided inequivocal evidence of his innocence)

'Brady told the NFL that he had his assistant destroy his Samsung phone and SIM card on March 5 or 6 -- the day he was interviewed by the NFL's investigative team about "Deflategate." The NFL reached out to Brady's cell phone carrier, which confirmed that the text messages on his phone couldn't be recovered' (Tom said his phone broke on investigation day, ohh too bad Tom)

'In an arbitration hearing, Brady's representatives offered to provide the league with a spreadsheet identifying all of the people with whom Brady had exchanged text messages during the period in question. Brady's agents suggested that the NFL contact the relevant parties and ask them to provide texts sent by Brady.
    NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said that would have been "impractical." ' ( Translation, F that Tom's lawyers, were not wasting NFL resources on that bullshit)

16. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's all just entertainment!

17. Funkhouser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I get it. I should have probally used a couple of smileys. The problem with online posts is its hard (at least for me) to always convey your tone.

18. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]....one for each Super Bowl!

19. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As one who has no dog in this fight but who gets the anti-PT side from one of my best friends who is a very close friend of Jim Irsay, all I can say is my take is Goodell is a TOTAL political animal who sees his role as one of promoter and cash flow generator with, like a true politician, virtually no cares for what is "right" or "just" but only what he thinks will protect the way the NFL prints money. And he is as apt to screw things up as he is to help the league and himself.

20. NickPapageorgio

NickPapageorgio OG of the Sal Sagev Hotel

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The in thing is to hate on Goodell. Take a step back and look at not only his personal level of success but the development of the NFL under his direction.

Nick:beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.