1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Boston, Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by bubbakitty, Jun 20, 2021.

1. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife is going to Boston @the Godfrey Hotel in the theatre district within walking distance of the Freedom Trail, Boston Common, Public Garden, and Downtown Crossing.
    Any advice on what not to miss and what to avoid (questionable areas after dark?). She is going with her sister and two nieces. Very willing to take mass transit and walk.
    Any suggestions welcomed. Going October 14-18(return early am). She likes lobster
    (If in town those days you may want to stay home or go on a trip!!:nono:).

Tirement party over again…..poor thing.
  2. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Following...Boston on my list of cities to visit.

3. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You’ll love it (don’t wear packers fear) depending on the season (pick spring…;)). I’m following too. :)

4. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Things to avoid: Boston.

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not that ambitious, so I would just use the two full days in the middle.

I looked at the website for the Godfrey Hotel to see exactly where it was located and that first frame of their video - that is pretty much the only two blocks of that area that looks like that.

Downtown Crossing in its heyday was the big retail/department store area but it's a shell of that now, it's taking forever to rehab it.

Day A, I would do a guided Freedom Trail walking tour - those step off a block away from the hotel, on the Common. Either that or a Duck Boat tour. Those leave from the New England Aquarium which is about a 15 min walk from the hotel.

Same day, either before or after the tour, walk through the Common and Public Garden, then up Newbury Street to Copley Square. Then walk back via Commonwealth Ave. That's about 2 miles point to point. They can take a Green Line trolley either way Park Street <-> Copley Sq if they don't want to walk both ways. The Park Street station is near the Freedom Trail tour meeting place. That's kind of a lot of walking though, maybe tack the Copley Square hike onto Day B.

Day B, I'd probably take a Red Line subway from Park St to Harvard Square and putter around, have lunch somewhere, take the train back. That train/route goes over the bridge they used to show on TV all the time.
    [​IMG]

Harvard Square is more Boston-y looking than downtown Boston is.

Lobster is lobster, you can get it anywhere, no reason to get it one place instead of another other than ambience. Union Oyster House near Faneuil Hall is an old-school place, it's walking distance from the hotel and near Fanueil Hall which they'll see if they do the Freedom Trail. Legal Seafoods has a location a couple of blocks from the hotel.

Hopefully the weather will be nice those days, it makes a huge difference.

As for after dark, that whole area isn't really the greatest, there's a few restaurants scattered here and there but otherwise it's pretty sparse. What remains of the real theater district proper is several blocks away. I would recommend cabbing it at night if they're gonna go somewhere more than a few blocks.

You'll probably get more tips from someone who's been recently and did a packed trip. I mean there's plenty of places to go, museums, etc., but it's a matter of how much you really want to do.

You can wear Packers gear Joe, we don't pay attention to the NFC (well, one team maybe) and we suck now, so nobody's saying shit to anybody anyway.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  6. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have plenty of insurance. I’M not going and there’s no stopping her. :confused: So you roll the dice. :headbang: So to speak.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She mentioned a lot of places you noted. We’ve already discussed after dark. She’s pretty aware but aged and somewhat distract able. We’ll see. Thanks for the day-day venture. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always recommend the Gardner Museum to visitors. There's really nothing like it, and it's cool to think that it was once someone's house! They have concerts there too sometimes so it's worth stalking the schedule to see if there is anything of interest.

[​IMG]

A low strip trip? Could be….
    Using up comps walkabout! Fingers crossed!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LOL! :)

I spent many weekends in Baaaaston in my undergrad days, crashing at friends' apartments, but I have not really been there much in a few decades, not to show my real age. One friend had a fairly nice apartment on the "wrong side" of Beacon Hill and it was an easy walk to the Boston Common and everything around there.

The only place I remember to avoid, and it was a running joke about who would have the nerve to go drinking in what they called the Combat Zone (don't even know if it's still around) which was back then the area with adult theaters and very very trashy bars and such. This was on the other side of the Common, kind of southeast of the main Common area IIRC. If we could get a couple of real jock-ish guys to go with us we would occasionally chance it! They had recently lowered the drinking age to 18 there and the regulars did not appreciate a bunch of college kids invading their turf and one place just told us to get the {f-bomb} outa there. LOL, it's prolly all gentrified by now.

Now the North End (north and east of the main Common area) used to be VERY nice. Lotsa nice Italian restaurants and a number of bars that were fun. I used to love sampling the Italian sodas that the street vendors would sell back then. LOL, the oldtimers would tell us stories about the Great Molasses Flood. Ask about it! :) Good conversation starter.

The Allston area, along Brighton Ave, used to have quite a few very nice restaurants as well. I don't know if that's changed or not. The Back Bay area used to have bars and restaurants as well.

Just keep in mind that this is many years ago, so YMMV.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tarstarkas

Tarstarkas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Go to Fanueil Hall Marketplace....great place to see and shop. Go to ye older Union Oysterhouse ......oldest restaurant in USA....great food...tour USS Constitution (old ironsides)...Go to Bunker Hill monument (don't shoot til you see the whites of their eyes)...get a duck boat tour....Go to Boston Common....ride the swan boats....so many things to do

Wsop...here I come
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you like apples??

• Like Like x 1
  12. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im not going.

13. Dr Nostron

Dr Nostron High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree on freedom trail , union oyster house and duck boats

We took one of those ghost tours (mainly to satisfy the kids) - ita a great way to see the city at night - we had a great guide

14. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 A Diamond in the Ruff

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don’t know if this helps, or if it’s even relevant anymore. Back in 1990, I lived in Boston for 2 months, training for my new job at the company’s main office in Charleston (suburb of Boston?). Right down the street (Main St.) was a place called Sullivan’s Pub (Sully’s!!), and in the back was a counter that served food (they went by a different name, but can’t remember what that was). At the time, they served THE BEST cheesesteak sandwich I have ever had, even to this day!!! We had many a lunch there, while having food coma for the afternoon!

Been meaning to get back there at some point to have another sammich, but still have not made it. Looks like Sullivan’s is still there, but don’t know what their food service is like these days.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And remember, in Baaaaaston, the loaf-type sandwich is properly called a grinder (pronounced "grind-aah") and if you call it a hero or hoagie or sub or (if you dare) a po-boy, you'll be rightly pegged as an alien! :)

• Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. bubbakitty

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks everybody. She’s reading various articles on line which reinforce many of your suggestions or vice versa. It should be a fun trip if the weather cooperates. :)

17. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depending on what the group likes to do, the Aquarium is nice as well (from memory at least, it's been a few years). And definitely get some coffee from a Dunkin in the morning, and when you exit the Dunkin, see if you can spot the next one :)

It also looks like the Langham Hotel is opening back up this month. Check to see if they are bringing back their Saturday chocolate buffet, I'm not a chocolate fan, but I've heard great things. It's also a nice spot to stop in for a drink.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mike mc

mike mc High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If they gamble they can take the Encore shuttle from Long Wharf pier . High speed yacht to Encore pier was 7 bucks each way 2 years ago