1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Books/authors suggestions

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by vwhiten, Jan 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am a mystery book person. I am fascinated with the Southwest. Love Tony Hillerman but a few years ago discovered James Doss. He is a combination of Hillerman and Janet Evonovich. I am re -reading Grandmother Spider- probably my all time favorite by Mr. Doss.

I have Kindle unlimited and just love the opportunities for free/discounted books they offer. I'm not a self help: biography non fiction type person, I read for sheer escape entertainment. Not mocking those who do. Any favorites or suggestions?

I am a fan of Bosch on Amazon but have not read any books in the series and can't wait for the next season.

I did read A Walk in the Woods- cannot remember the author. The movie with Robert Redford absolutely stunk compared to the book. Sadly Mr Hillerman and Mr. Doss have both passed away.

40th Wedding Anniversary if we make it that long
  2. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Val, if you like Bosch and are an avid reader then I would definitely recommend you read the Bosch books by Michael Connelly. They are fantastic. If you do read them make sure to read them in order.

:peace: :beer:

Birthday Week in the Tower Suites
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. greekjim

greekjim VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am also a Bosch fan of Amazon without reading any of the books. I am mostly in James Rollins, Vince Flynn (R.I.P.), and Daniel Silva with their thriller and espionage books.Good luck in your hunt

4. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Mike. I think after I finish Grandmother Spider I will read the first Bosch and then re-watch some of the 1st season Bosch. The Vegas drop backs on some of the episodes are wonderful. Very well acted show for an older crowd. Absolutely love that show.

40th Wedding Anniversary if we make it that long
  5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry, I love mysteries but tend toward cozies (MC Beaton, Carola Dunn,Elaine Viets) or archaeological/espionage (David Gibbons, Steve Berry, Raymond Khoury) or historical (Oliver Potsch, Lindsay Davis, Steven Saylor, Stephanie Barron, Karen Harper, Kathy Lynn Emerson, Elliot Roosevelt). Oh, and forensic - love Kathy Reichs and still read Patricia Cornwell but haven't enjoyed the last few, and Linda Fairstein.

I have a super long word document, 8pt font of my reading list so I can keep series in order and remind myself to check for new releases every so often. I should switch to an online method but it seems too overwhelming at this point to transfer everything, so old school it is :)

6. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Getting a series out of order is the worst. I finally got all of my Jack Ryan/Jack Ryan, Jr. novels in correct chronological order thanks to Wikipedia. I re-read a few of them just to maintain the flow. Funny how when you have the background of a series and re-read a book, it makes so much more sense.

Michael Connelly is another example with the Bosch series. I read Angel's Flight first and although I enjoyed it, I decided to try them chronologically with The Black Echo and that revealed a lot I didn't know. Of course, the Amazon series takes place in present time, so Connelly had to toy a bit with some of Bosch's back story, but it makes sense if you read the books.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. lowsmith

lowsmith Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really like all of the Michael Connelly books (Bosch, Lincoln Lawyer, etc). I also really like the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Speaking of Michael Connelly I think his best book, The Poet, a non Bosch book, is his best. A definite must read for any mystery/thriller fan.

:peace: :beer:

9. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Echo everyone's Connelly comments. I picked up Concrete Blonde years ago at an airport pre-flight and loved it, have read all his books now. Also I am from So. Cal. originally so I like the geography in his books.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

Bill Hodges trilogy. Good page turners. No spoilers please!! I've only finished Mr. Mercedes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought the first one was a good read too. I hadn't read a King book in about 20 years and really enjoyed it. Thanks for reminding me I need to read the next one.

I was reading the Cross books from the 1st one last year. I'm a bit burned out on them right now though I made it halfway through 7 before I needed a break.

12. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't agree enough on Michael Connelly and Lee Child.

I didn't care for the Bosch series on Amazon even though I like the actors. I think my problem is I read the books first.

The Jack Reacher series is my favorite. I hated the movie too btw. Cruise was an awful choice.

I'd also like to recommend John Sandford (the Prey series with Lucas Davenport) and the Virgil Flowers off shoot series.

And finally John Grisham

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What's up Rocky? Its good to see you back here on VMB. :peace: :beer:

• Like Like x 1
  14. RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa Front Line Winner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Mike - good to see you as well!

Hope you've been doing well!

Headed out for SB, MM and a couple other trips. Hope to catch up with you!

15. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definite yes to Grisham. Just finished Gray Mountain. Great story. Man, he has written some great books!

• Like Like x 1
  16. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Two of my favorites: Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiassen. Leonard is just a classic and you have probably seen multiple movies based on his works (although sometimes they change the names from those on the books). Hiassen includes a lot of twisted and dark humor in his books. It also helps if you like Florida, as there is a lot of south Florida culture in his novels.

I have not read, but my sister is a big fan of, Nevada Barr. I do not know if her stories are set in the southwest, but I believe the recurring main character of her books is a park ranger

• Like Like x 1
  17. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great lists, everyone. I have read all of the Connelly, Grisham, King, and Sandford. I am currently working my way through the Lee Child books, about a dozen in. I recommend them all.

Here are a few more authors that have a great series of books:

Clive Cussler--Dirk Pitt series
    James Grippando--law series a la Grisham
    James Patterson--Alex Cross series
    David Baldacci--government conspiracies
    Sue Grafton--private detective series
    Patricia Cornwell--forensic pathologist crime solvers
    Janet Evanovich--female bounty hunter laced with comedy
    Harlan Coben--sports agent turned crime solver

1st Time at Cosmo
    Open the VP bar doors, HAL
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ruralhipster

ruralhipster High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently discovered a dozen old John D Macdonald "Travis McGee" novels at a thrift store and I and really enjoyed them. To be honest I have found the quality of most of prolific authors like Patterson Cussler etc to fall off as the years go on.

Has anyone mentioned the Spenser books by Robert B Parker yet? Usually a good solid read.

19. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, it depends on how much I like the "co-author" ;-) For the Clive Cussler novels, I tend to enjoy most of the "co-authors" (you know, the ones who are actually doing the writing ;-)

TriggerMN - if you like Clive Cussler, I think you'll like David Gibbins.

I've tried most of the authors mentioned so far, many of whom didn't hook me. I'm glad I've at least tried! And that it doesn't look like I've overlooked anyone obvious....

20. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hoya I agree about the co-authors. It seems to me that Patterson will pimp his name out to anyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.