1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Booking excursions while on a cruise?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Happygirl21, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi guys,
    So my daughter and I are going to take a cruise to Bermuda and want to do a few excursions. Do you usually book in advanced, through the company (Royal Caribbean in this case) or do you wing it and go with a local when you get to port? We are planning to do the bell diving, so I know I will book that in advanced, but I am wondering about island tours etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!:beer:

My boy's 21st Birthday count down is on!
  2. ducc

ducc Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have not been to Bermuda, but have went on many many cruises. I would say since it's your first time on a cruise I would book through the ship as it can be a little intimidating on land by yourself. That being said booking on the island is much much cheaper. Sometimes you can Google what you want to do and it'll pop up with the cruise company actual partner they book through but at half price or better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The best excursions fill up fast. I recommend booking ahead. Highly recommend any of the catamaran trips that offer lunch with beaches and snorkeling with sea turtles or other marine life.

4. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On a small and civilized island like Bermuda I'd definitely book them myself. Other poorer islands I would play it safe and go with the ship. For comparisons sake google Bermuda tours etc. and see how much money you can save.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can book once you get onboard. BUT - they sometimes sell out.

I would strongly suggest checking out cruisecritic.com as they offer lots of great advice. Also, find the ROLL CALL for your cruise while you are there.

6. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On our first cruise we had our dolphin encounter and trip to Stingray City (Grand Cayman) and Bamboo Beach Club (Ocho Rios, Jamaica) booked before the cruise.
    The couple in the cabin next to us waited until we got into port and booked those on shore, with significant savings compared to what we shelled out for the experiences.

We considered booking onshore on our family cruise to the Bahamas, but with travel advisories in effect for Nassau at the time we decided to book ahead of time just to be on the safe(r) side and for peace of mind...

RICHARD

The Alperts Take Polo Towers!
  7. LucyR.

LucyR. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi, I would prefer to book with the cruise line because you want to go 'diving " that can be a dangerous ocean sport.

The locals don't care if they lose a tourist in the ocean because they are dirt poor and in a different country. Your family can't sue them for money they don't have.

I just saw a movie yesterday on a couple of divers were left behind and they ended up drowning in the ocean. It does happen to some people in the caribbean islands. Lucky they get found. Some die from stink rays biting them or.... get wrapped up with sea weed that is hard to get out of. That happened to me and I was in very deep water close to shore. I panicked but I knew it was my fault for being alone on the ocean with no partner. I was able to get loose. The tour boat was close by but not keeping an eye on me. Accidents can happen in the ocean.
    I have lots of proof.

I have been cruising for many years and it is always best to play it safe if you are going to an ocean sport. Land tours are okay to book if you will be with a tour company.

EXPERIENCED Cruisers know how to find a company that will keep you safe. But you two ladies
    have never cruised before. Play it safe and book from your ship company ahead of time. LucyR.

8. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happygirl, I would book in advance through the cruise for those you really want to do for sure. Just don't feel like you need to book an excursion every single day - it can get tedious to have to be on the clock every day. Plus so many leave early in the morning - your relaxing vacation goes out the window, and it gets to be like work having to get up & rush be somewhere at a certain time.

Also some places lend themselves to walking, so often the best times are when you wander around on your own in port if the town is close to the ship, or take a hop-on hop-off tour.

9. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've done Caribbean cruises, not Bermuda but with the cruises I went on booking excursions via the cruise line would guarantee the ship would wait for you if your excursion was late getting back for any reason. If you go off on your own or book with a non cruise line affiliated company there is no such guarantee. Get back late and you've missed the boat. And it happens every cruise.

10. mafig

mafig Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bermuda is very different than the Caribbean. Their standard of living is much higher.

One of the reasons to book with the cruiseline is so if your cruise is late the ship will wait for you and not leave. Since in Bermuda you will be staying a few days, that is not a problem. Also, Bermuda is a very easy island to get around. Why not spend some time on Cruise Critic. Visit your roll call; there may be others with more experience than you who have done all the research for you and have found local tours. It'll be much cheaper and you'll be in a small group rather than a large bus. Again, you can see Bermuda on your own. My advice is book the bell diving though the cruise line and do the rest yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You guys are terrific! Thanks so much for all the info, I appreciate it!

My boy's 21st Birthday count down is on!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.