1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Book Recommendations

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by jgates8, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Mom is holed up in the nursing home for 3 to 4 months waiting for a hip replacement (had to take out current one).

She loves to read & has normally at least half dozen library books out at one time. Consequently she has gone thru many authors & series already.

Currently she is partway thru CJ Box & really enjoys this author.

Anyone familiar with this author and any others that would fall into the same genre'???

2. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never read his. My mom read a few and liked them. I think Nevada Barr, Tony Hillermann, Margaret Coel would be similar I've read all the Hillermann books and I think his daughter has taken off where he left off. I haven't read any of the Longmire books but love the show.

3. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    vwhiten - is Margaret Coel Tony's daughter or is she writing yet under his name?

I know she enjoys some of James Patterson but she can't remember which series she read lol. She said she thought the main guy was located in Washington. (No help from me since I only read the Women's Murder Club and a few odd pieces here & there like Sam's Letters to Jennifer and a few others. Not sure which series they were in. I need to do a little digging on his characters to see if I can eliminate one series.

4. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also have seen but haven't read the Blanco County series Ben Rehder which features a sheriff and game warden. Amazon says it is like Hiaasen set in Texas. I just saw I can get book #1 free on my kindle. I have Kindle unlimited and love it.

5. lvasap

lvasap Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As far as the James Patterson series, sounds like she read the ones with Alex Cross.

6. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks lvasap - I know JP has a couple of other series at least so I will focus maybe on the Michael Bennett group from there. I'll make a list from the authors suggested above & start having the library order in what they don't have.

Thanks guys!

7. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have several Of the James Doss series Charlie Moon- setting around Ute Reservation in Colorado- he is my all time favorite. I am putting all my favorites on my kindle. I think I have about 7 or 8 of them. He is like Hillerman with a sense of humor. I would be happy to box them up and send them to you. I end up giving most of the books I read to my local SPCA resale shop or the library.

I don't know much about Margaret Coel. I have read at least one of her books a long time ago and enjoyed it. Just never got around to reading more. Her bio says she was born in 1939.

I heard on the radio that paperbacks are making a comeback. And boy are they expensive now days. Maybe we should start a VMB book club.

8. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you, I will message you tomorrow night and try and arrange something.

Mom definitely still loves the feel of paper in her hands, well I don't want to read anything other than my kindle.

9. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what the report said about people wanting to feel and tournaments pages. I love my kindle too.

Will look out for the message.

10. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my bad, OP was looking for recommendations similar to a current author that I'm not familiar with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.