1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Blue Man Group @ Monte Carlo --

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by Tellafriend, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tellafriend

Tellafriend MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry folks, I know this will upset some of you, but its just my opinion/thoughts after having seen it last month. Yes, I am a fan, but not a huge mark. I have seen them at the V and on television. I actually purchased one of their music cds.

So, I'm in Vegas with a group of friends. I'm goign to treat everyone (or Mlife is) and I decided that overall this would be better than Mystere or a comedian and it would give everyone a flavor of LVS. Some of my group were newbies or neophytes.

Anyway, all of the advertising including the never-ending dribble from MLIFE tv inside our MLIFE room bragged about the show was completely new and different. Let me tell you something, it wasn't. I'd guess 70% of the show was either the same or a close cousin. I was honestly disappointed. Particularly when they went so far out of their way to tell me how new it was. Plus, the smoke blowing drums aren't as cool as you'd think.

Sorry, but I think you will agree. We should have gone to see Carrot Top!

2. GREGRIO

GREGRIO VIP Whale

Well, ya can't beat CARROT TOP...Scott's Show is ALWAYS lots of fun.
    And YES...I agree that BLUE MAN's new Show is over hyped. There are many
    of the same gags in the new Show and I think I prefer the Venetian Show over
    this one BUT...it's new theme and a few surprises does make it worth a visit...
    just don't expect a TOTALLY, all new Show.
    My review (some where around here...) has a little more detail.

3. ah6tyfour

ah6tyfour High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry you didn't like the show =(

I'm a pretty big BMG fan and thought the show was excellent. You're right that it's not a completely new show, but I'm okay with that because it still needs to represent the Blue Man Group experience. Gumballs and Marshmallows, Twinkies, Paint drumming, Drumbone, and Pipes are classic BMG pieces that have been in every version of their show since its creation. Not keeping them as part of the show would be like going to watch Gallagher and him taking out the watermelon bashing (does Gallagher still perform?).

Those pieces probably do take up 45 minutes of their 90 minute show, but they're necessary parts of a Blue Man Group show. Although I could definitely see them removing the Twinkie bit to use those 10-15 minutes for something more large-scale. I've always disliked how long that Twinkie act goes on.

There is one fatal flaw with the show which might explain why it's not quite as good as the older shows. Instead of coming into the theater with an empty slate and designing something new, they took their touring show and plopped it into the new theater. The touring show, by necessity, is smaller in scale (due to having to load in and out of theaters quickly and having to be trucked to various cities). So they took something smaller in scale and figured out where they could expand on it to make it be a "fit" for Vegas. It would have been better had they started from scratch and designed the show for that theater.

I do think the finale is stronger in the new show. It's less messy and more interactive. It awes and surprises and leaves you with a great last impression. The old finale made you spend the whole time dealing with the paper and unable to really watch and enjoy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.