1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Big B's Texas bbq or John Mull's Meat & Roadkill

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by ScoobyDoo, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will be in town and only time to try to do 1 bbq. Any recommendations on which one we should hit up?

In the past I've only managed to eat at Rolling Smoke which we enjoy but would like to try a different one on this trip since we will have the use of a rental car.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard that Ellis Island has " . . . the best Texas BBQ in town", mind you, I'm hearing this second hand.

I've also heard good things about Mabel's BBQ at the Palms.

Well, Canada and Massachusetts are closed, back to Lake Tahoe
    Oh what the heck, I've got vacation and myVegas points to burn. . . .
  3. vegasnsidenout

vegasnsidenout Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is my BBQ advice and for reference its my opinions but...my fiance is from Texas and we have traveled around the country so we love and know great BBQ.

That said Ellis Island BBQ is good but nothing great, I generally love their ambiance (college hangout for me), their new patio looks cool and with its proximity to the "Strip" I think its a good bet.

I take it you have transportation since you are looking into Big B's and John Mull's.I personally like both and they are VERY different from one another.

Big B's- smoked over oak, I believe he (Brian the owner) brings the wood in from his family connects in Texas. The food is good, they have some fun specials and when they do their Beef Ribs on Saturdays they are awesome! I only go to the original location on St Rose and have not been to the new location on the Westside. Their beans and potato salad are awesome!

John Mull's- I love their butcher shop and the Road Kill Grill is a plus! I believe some of the meat he does not adhere to traditional smoking methods but it is still very good! Note you have to take it to go or eat outside so the weather might play a factor. I have only been to the original location, the second location is much further in the Northern end of the valley. If you stop by John Mull's Big Dogs is a local brewpub close by that is worth stopping by.

Jessie Rae's- one of my favorites in town. They are off Valley View on the opposite side of the 15 from Mandalay Bay. Check out their Fortress special!

We have some chains out here Lucille's (meh), Virgil's (good location).

• Informative Informative x 4
  4. ScoobyDoo

ScoobyDoo Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for your detailed review. I guess where we are driving around town when we are feeling like BBQ will determine if we try John Mulls or Big B's since they seem to be pretty equal.

5. salukidean

salukidean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Would agree with pretty much everything said here. Jessie Rae's is a hidden gem and definitely worth checking out. Also, Binion's downtown has good ribs I highly recommend. John Mulls is good (not great) BBQ but you get a lot of food for good prices and the beans and mac n cheese are fantastic!

6. BellaBlvd

BellaBlvd Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard great things about Jessie Rae's fortress and we will for sure be trying it out in 2 weeks when we move from Mandalay to the Wynn

7. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love where I live. Some things reinforce that feeling.
    Like when the weather man is relating what is going on in the rest of the country. (brrrr!)
    And threads like this that talk about where to get good bbq. Just a fact; it's hard to get BAD bbq around here!

Sorry I can't help with the question. I have never eaten bbq in Las Vegas.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.