1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best quarantine Amazon impulse buy so far???

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Wallew, Apr 3, 2020.

1. unomas

unomas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I attempted to buy a Virtual Reality headset however the Oculus Quest VR system was out of stock! While I could pay twice the price on through 3rd party sellars, I will just wait until they are replenished!

2. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well I didn’t shop Amazon however I did buy this the other day...I think it was $120. 715546FB-99BF-4A5B-9DB2-64BEF5BF1D8C.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  3. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anytime they have a deal on good coffee for under $5 a pound. If we run out of food in this pandemic, we can live on caffeine!

• Like Like x 4
  4. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, Walmart Grocery pickup now blocks me from editing my pickup order because I've edited it too many times. So Walmart has officially called me out on too much shopping!

On top of that, hubs mentioned if I buy more kitchen stuff, I'll run out of space and will have to get rid of some.

So, apparently I think this means I'm overdoing the whole online shopping thing! :whistle:

But, one item was a birthday gift for myself with an Amazon gift certificate. I'm slowly getting rid of Pyrex bakeware for nicer. (Pyrex is great, I'm just personally moving away from it, like a new pretty dress... Not better, just different!)

I wanted a cast ironed enameled piece baking dish like Staub, Le Creuset, etc, but they don't have the big size I want for lasagne etc. (Without paying well over $200.) If it's not enameled cast iron, I'm a little more hesitant to pay a ton, especially since some of the top brands are no longer produced in the original country.

Well, being a touch OCD, I have been building my kitchen supplies slowly for over 10 years, all black, charcoal or gunmetal. (I just bought black silicon spatulas, heat resistant to 500* and they have a metal core, LOVE them!)

Sooooo, I found a brand, Emile Henry, still family owned from 1850 on, still produced in France, solid reviews, oven safe to 520*, 10 year, warranty, and just what I wanted on size and color! I'm like a kid... I'm so excited, I hope it's as pretty in person!

Screenshot_20200429-230947_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
    • Love Love x 1
  5. HOUtoLAS

HOUtoLAS High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been going hog wild on buying things, but to my credit some of the things I am replacing is over 20 to 25 years old.

New refrigerator and it is running in my entry way/ dining room. Still have the old one in the kitchen, as I have no help to get it into the garage. New dishwasher. My old dishwasher was leaking. Waiting for this to be delivered and installed.

Counter top ice maker, love it. I bought this before the new fridge. I don’t use the old built in ice maker as freezer iced up to bad and then thawed out too bad to long and didn’t stay cold. I had to manually unplug it and thaw every 6 months if I put too much liquid unsealed in it.

Lots of cookware as I hadn’t cooked in many years. A few slide out shelves for the kitchen that work great. Water purifier and replacement filters for a year or two. Works well with my ice maker, plus I use it for cooking.

New Mac mini computer for remoting to work.

Exercise bike and an Apple TV in same room for my workouts while streaming.

Hair clippers. Crew cut!

And a mask that still has not arrived yet.

• Like Like x 4
  6. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A month after I ordered it from China, I got a 9h hardened glass protector for my “'Casioak' Craps watch”. Didn’t fit perfectly, so I had to recenter it twice, but I got 3 for $10ish so I’m ok w it.

I can't wait for when someone asks me the time, and I can say "5 till Green". ;)
    it's really a Christmas model but I'm calling it my craps model.

[​IMG]

Also got some spices for Peruvian green pollo alla brasa chicken sauce.
    and a "used, like new" Alton Brown everyday cookbook.

Last edited: May 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  7. ca.toolguy

ca.toolguy Tourist

not from amazon, but got a new Dodge Ram truck

• Like Like x 2
  8. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would like to ad to this thread, but I'm still waiting for items on the order I placed on April 8 still have not arrived.

9. rdwoodpecker

rdwoodpecker Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

That looks great! Does it just have a plug-in heater runs on 110? Electric bill may skyrocket, please re-post after a couple months.

10. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Amazon has actually been helping me curb my splurging inclination by deprioritizing my whimsical flights of fancy in favor of essentials for the community. Everything I look for on Prime seems to be a few weeks out, although it is getting better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I posted earlier that I have the DJI Mavic Mini drone on my Amazon wish list. Well, I decided to pull the trigger and placed the order a few days ago. Surprisingly, it arrived this morning which is a couple of days earlier than expected! :woohoo: I'm in the process of charging the batteries, so I won't be able to set it up in the app and do a test flight until later today.

Mavic Mini.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  12. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have actually been really good on not splurging, but I broke down and bought an adjustable laptop stand for when I am working and can move around a bit during the day in between calling into meetings, as I think I might be working from home longer..
    I am getting back into watercoloring again and bought a blank watercolor sketchbook that I am waiting on.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Mudhen

Mudhen VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's alive.

I went through the alignment (with a dummy load connected), and everything seems to be working. I don't have a resonant 40m antenna up at the moment, so I haven't actually had a chance to get on the air with it. I'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Crappy picture...lots of glare on the screen.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Before you dump all your Pyrex, you should be aware of how older Pyrex is less shatterprone than more recent, at least to know there is value in gifting them to someone that would appreciate it vs "dumping" em.

Le Creuset dutch ovens are kind of worth it too, IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi AyDee, always love your posts. This is very helpful, as my Pyrex IS at least 10+ years old. Recently reading they can shatter even without temp shock didn't please me, so your post helps. (I cook a lot, so will just keep all then.)

I have a big Wolfgang pick Dutch oven, enameled cast iron, that I've had for 10+ years..... total workhorse.... I love it. Not Le Creuset or Staub, but it's done amazing, I love the color (gunmetal) and it is still kicking, so I'm not looking at Dutch ovens until this one is a gonner.

This piece is just for lasagna/enchaladas, etc. Since it's not enameled iron, I didn't want to pay through the teeth, but I wanted good quality and a color I like.

I don't have it yet, and I've never bought this brand, so only time will tell, BUT your Pyrex info was huge. I'm getting rid of some of my intro cookware (pots pans I haven't touched for years) but will now keep my Pyrex.... So thank you!

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another good use for Pyrex is in the microwave. Tomato based foods tend to discolor most microwaveable plastic containers, so for storing/reheating those types of dishes I use Pyrex.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! If you assembled that yourself, you did a GREAT job! I'm envious. :)

18. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not Amazon, but EBay/Online Hobby Shops. This is my haul over the past 4 weeks. I've 2 more on the way from the UK, and so far, the Wife hasn't grumbled too much. These will join my collection of 400+ other kits lol.

5otLJw+PS+KIHf%RXcgOJQ.jpg

IPMS USA National Convention
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  19. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    We took our first road trip in the new ride yesterday. We met halfway at Checkpoint Magic Mountain to do the social-distancing handoff to my uncle. After 13 years in a Ridgeline it felt nice to stlll be in a Ridgeline, though this one is decidedly higher tech. The look isn't as Pontiac Aztek -- you know, nothing personal, but something that, well, is an acquired visual taste -- as the original but the bits we loved are still there. And it will be nice to switch to a hitch rack for our extended excursions. My wife seemed to have more separation anxiety than I did. Or maybe I just got it out of my system earlier in the week. He was our war horse for many a great experience and many years.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Vegas is Fabulous When You Degen Responsibly ;)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    G-d help me - I do *not* need to be spending nearly $3,000 on gaming pc stuff I almost certainly wouldn’t use, I just don’t - save me from my cabin fever-afflicted behind :blink::confused::cry::haha:

• Funny Funny x 1