1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Being a witness for "quickie" chapel weddings in Vegas?

Discussion in 'Vegas Weddings' started by notfromconcentrate, Mar 17, 2019.

1. notfromconcentrate

notfromconcentrate High-rolling diner. Low-rolling gambler.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, the title basically says it all.

For some context, I'm planning on taking an afternoon on my upcoming trip (it will be either a Sunday or a Monday) to tour the stretch of wedding chapels between the strip and downtown. Sheer curiosity, just poking my head into each one. Possibly even Talk of the Town too.

Anyway, as part of the experience, I'm fully open to the idea of playing witness to one or more weddings on the day I go. In fact, I'm not just open to it... I specifically WANT to do this. Reasons being an equal balance of (i) Doing a favour for a stranger, something that propels me through life, (ii) Getting a more in-depth look at how these "quickie" weddings work, and (iii) Having the cool anecdote of "I got to be a couple's witness at a wedding in Vegas!", along with the inevitable selfie I'll take with the newlyweds.

So, on that basis, my question is pretty simple. I want to be a witness for one or more weddings, and I'd like to arrange it in an efficient manner that doesn't involve me holding up a cardboard sign that says "Please let me be your witness". Any ideas as to the best approach here?

Side note... anyone know if any of the wedding chapels have video poker/slots? This would be an amazing addition to my "weird places I've gambled" list, probably topping my early-morning video poker session at a grocery store in December.

Sky Suite!
    Downtown/Sapphire Pool for a weekend, Laughlin, then more downtown!
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Marilynfan

Marilynfan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have no suggestions and wish you luck. I just wanted to comment that I can't imagine there are a ton of couples who are interested in a stranger sitting in on their wedding. It may be a novelty thing to you but it is still their wedding to them. The Chapel provides a witness. We got married at Chapel of the flowers. If you want to see how weddings work you can watch them in their website.

Mom's Birthday Trip
    Gaga Ooh La La
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. notfromconcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great points. Many thanks!

From Google searches there seemed to be enough past interest on message boards on both sides of the equation (e.g. stranger wanting to be a witness, and couple wanting a stranger to be a witness), for this to be a “thing” even if it’s rare.

I do know that chapels offer witnesses, though I don’t know if these are employees, or random witnesses such as myself that they procure through some “Hey tourists! Wanna witness a Vegas wedding?” type of thing. Seems like an easy enough way to get witnesses for free, that they can then charge the couples an extra fee for.

For all I know it could be worth calling around to the wedding chapels, but I thought I’d seek out opinions and ideas here first.

Sky Suite!
  4. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just get yourself an Elvis costume and hang out on LV Blvd around Little White Wedding Chapel. You may not get to witness a wedding, but I'm sure you'll witness something.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. BuckeyeOH

BuckeyeOH Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Married @ Little Chapel of the Flowers 25 years ago. Their limo picked us up at hotel, took us to get license, to chapel and back to hotel. The limo driver was our witness on paper - he didn't actually stand with us. Am curios to hear what your experience in trying will be.

6. JuliaNPete

JuliaNPete Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well--feel compelled to mention we were married at Chapel of the Flowers 20 years ago...
    LOL We would have been glad to have you as a witness/guest/whatever --we were sooo happy and the more the merrier...

20th Anniversary !
  7. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Show up, and ask. I don't really see a way to set this up in advance. You'll want to get the go ahead from the proprietor and the couple. I "witnessed" many a Vegas wedding when researching my wedding guidebook.

Don't overthink this.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You beat me to it. Video poker in wedding chapels? Why – they already have the highest of high-stakes gambling!

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Young and stupid, I got married in 1989 at the Las Vegas Wedding Gardens.

The marriage didn't make it through the end of that summer. Now I treat it like a funny anecdote of when I was, well, young and stupid.

10th Annual POKER trip!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Emerson

Emerson Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We plan to tie the knot Oct 19. Come witness ours.

Wedding Date is Oct 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  11. notfromconcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I'll be in the city around then, I will most definitely take you up on that! :)

Sky Suite!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Make sure that you bring a present!!! :clap:

June Silver Strike Event - QQQQ, but staying at the D
    GGWU Event . . can't pass up the points
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Marilynfan

Marilynfan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is a great idea but I'm not aware of any chapels that do it. Usually it is an employee. Here is a long shot but you could check out The Knot wedding forums. They have a vegas forum that I used to plan my wedding. You'd find lots of people planning their vegas weddings on there.

Mom's Birthday Trip
    Gaga Ooh La La
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. mr.vegas

mr.vegas Peace sells, but who's buying?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When Mrs.Vegas and I tied the knot in the nineties in Vegas the witness was owners wife it came as part of the package at the Little chapel by the court house it was just a cross the street after we got are license.

15. Emerson

Emerson Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am going to try to talk wifeyt2be to try to be part of any wedding going on while scoping venues on our August trip. We will dress appropriately and ask to witness or be a part of a wedding or two. Maybe...

16. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it is not a bad idea.
    there are probably plenty of couples there that don't have a group of friends and family in tow.
    it would just be part of your Vegas wedding tale. "this random bloke was a witness at our wedding"
    I have never been married in Vegas, (nor anywhere else), but I have made many temporary "friends" just hangin out and I have plenty of fun and memories and stories to tell.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Wabashabi

Wabashabi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Stand in the drive through wedding chapel lane with your thumb out hitch hiking.

End of Pool Season =(
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Informative Informative x 3
  19. Emerson

Emerson Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get what you are saying.

I suspect in our case since we are legit casing the places to choose our venue we shoudl appear less threatening.

20. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you should practice the accent a little, take off your glasses and just barge in and pose as Eddie from The Hangover.

• Like Like x 1