1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Been playing around with PioSolver

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by MiamiDave, Jul 10, 2018.

1. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm working on my GTO game, which is quite the adventure.

It's difficult at times adjusting to such drastic changes in theory, such as checking monsters on the river when you want to extract value. Applying GTO can be difficult sometimes because checking your rivered nut flush in a lower buy-in tourney against a weak-passive player that checks back top pair or bottom 2 but would call with them if you bet just eats away your value.

I also had a weird situation I'm trying to wrap my brain around regarding blockers:

BTN opens and we 3b the BB with like a top 5% range (for this example I'll specifically use QQ or JJ) and the BTN flats behind. Flop comes QhJh6s, giving us top or middle set. We cbet and the BTN flats. Turn is a 9s putting a 2nd flush draw on the board. We bet again and the BTN flats. River is the 8h (completing the flush possibility and the 4-card straight on the board) and we check. BTN jams for 3/4 pot. The solver has us basically snap calling with QsQd or QsQc, but it has us snap-folding QdQc. On the flip-side, it has us usually calling JsJd or JsJc but basically snap-calling JdJc. Holding the Qs would reduce our opponent's bluff combos, not increase them. Also, why would QdQc be a snap fold but JdJc is a snap call? That seemed weird, too.

2. vetsen

vetsen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would think it's because BTN could be betting with top pair if you've got JJ but it's very unlikely if you've got QQ.

3. MiamiDave

MiamiDave You Can't Handle the Truth

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not having us ever fold QsQd or QsQc, though. It's basically 100% call with those hands. It's only a near 100% fold with exactly QdQc. My poker pro buddy said it's because when you hold the Qs you're blocking one of the few likely value combos V can hold here, QsTs, which he would float the flop with (while the other QT combos should be folding the flop) while all the JJ hands block all of the JT combos, and all of those would float the flop as well but they're far less likely to appear when you hold JJ.

4. TRN

TRN WSOP-bound

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The correct play is clearly a shove on the flop.... GTO can GTFO :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No matter what, we are talking a tiny amount of combo for villain for this line, so small differences mean a lot. With the Qh Jh blocked, the flushes villain doesn't 4 bet pre, fold pre, or semi bluff jam before the river are very limited, as are the hands with a T. There really aren't many pure bluff combos either. The best bluffs would have Ah or Kh blocked, but not many of those (unsuited) see it through to the river. Maybe AhJx AhTx.

So I assume what it comes down to is they have JTs rarely continuing past the flop, but AJs and maybe KJs seeing the turn more and then drawing. So it is a card you don't want to block, because it will show up more in bluff combos but few/no better value combos.

But QTs can play this way and beat you on the river. And AQs is WAY less likely to value bet or bluff against your range. And even KQs is not a lock to bluff. These hands have more showdown value than the jacks, but can't ever be called by worse, so a fair number of them x/c and may occasionally x/f the river.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quick sneek peak, jam pre and pretend you didn't even look. #TonyG...TO

• Funny Funny x 1