1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Baseball or no Baseball this year????

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by rooster42000, Jun 13, 2020.

1. j52chips

j52chips Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From a fan standpoint, I'm really missing baseball, hockey, & if it doesn't start up, football. I was a 10 year partial season tix holder for the White Sox, had 20 years season tix for the Bears. I'm retired & watching sports is a big part of my life. So, I do miss it daily but getting tired of hearing about greed from owners and players. I think we all have to realize our sports will be changed because of the greed and money (owners & players) than even before. I think that if players do not feel safe playing, don't, for reasons of health & families not because of money. Everyone in sports has to put everything in prospective. It will be different and I think the $300,000,000 contracts will now end. In the future who will support it? Baseball has to realize the game has been passed by the younger generations. What does the average age of baseball fans (57) tell us? When the boomers are gone there won't be enough of the other generations supporting the sport. Less interest, less fans,less money means a change. I miss it more than most and if I'm getting along without it, just about anyone can. Also, fans don't know what to believe anymore. One group claims this and the other claims that. Which is it? When this world situation is cleared up, I have a weird feeling baseball will lose a lot of their base & they may never get them back. Baseball is in trouble.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Michael Smith

Michael Smith High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, when I travel to spring training in AZ and have to pay $50 a seat to see a practice game (not to mention $8-$10 beers and $7 hotdogs) I know who's paying for it. I usually see five or six games a year at various venues around Phoenix—got there the day it all shutdown this year.

But I'm definitely on the side of the players here. The owners should take a loss for the good of the game and get on with it—it's not like their lives will be impacted much if they lose money this year. They should have done whatever it took to get live baseball on TV for Fourth of July—think of how much it would have meant to the country.

But, anyway, whatever happens I'm still a fan and will hopefully be sitting in Scottsdale Stadium watching the Giants next March.

Breeder's Cup, baby!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No telling what the final agreement will be, if there is one, this year. In any event, the result will be like Vegas today...not the normal vibe and sterile from a total experience perspective if going to the ballpark. I'll watch a little on TV but will likely not attend any games this year if there are any. The season and stats are already an asterisk in the record books and it would not bother me if they cancelled the season and make next year something special.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. j52chips

j52chips Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Michael Smith, it's good to hear your still a fan. I am too but I believe major changes are coming. Both my kids, 31 & 35 are major fans but both of their spouses could give a damn. Yes,younger generations will watch but I don't think future generations are going to draw 3 million fans a year that owners say they need to survive. As far as being for the players, I can't say it.Both sides are just as greedy. Or maybe the agents are the greedy ones. I just want a settlement and baseball. We'll see. Hey Michael, how about a shortened season world series of the White Sox and Giants.

5. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every time I see Scott Boras name, I cringe. What now?!?!

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Michael Smith

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the Sox have quite a bit better chance to get there than the Giants. My team has fallen on hard times since all the glory. Jury still out on the analytics thing which the GM subscribes to. Maybe in a few years when some of their younger players—Barton, Bishop and the guy they just drafted mature. So guess you're a White Sox fan—I grew up in the same town as Robin Ventura, although I'm quite a bit older than him. I thought he would be a good manager, but not so much.

Breeder's Cup, baby!
  7. j52chips

j52chips Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was a pleasure watching Ventura. A very good baseball player but he wasn't mean enough to be a good manager. He was too nice to manage. I'm glad he was on my team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Baseball is the only sport I watch. I’m a very casual football fan, usually just watch the Super Bowl. While I want baseball to return, at this point there’s going to be an asterisk on the season. I’m hoping they can start next year with fans in attendance.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The MLB owners need to focus on a long term vision for their business. All entertainment and hospitality is suffering financially but if you are in it for the long run suck it up and keep your business afloat.

Most of Vegas is sucking it up and losing their butts in the short term but are open by thinking LONG term.

No wahoo.jpg

Final Attempt for 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You take your loss years with your amazing profit years for the good of the game. Or not. Then you’re outted. :eek:
    Look at football. The commissioner (who works for the owners) says thing one, NOTHING to confirm for the owners....hmmm? Good will will be lost if a stalemate persists for now in upcoming negotiations

At last, and finally it's close.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Michael Smith

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Manfred saying there may be no baseball this year. Well, was hoping it would come back, but maybe it's best if they call it a day and try to come back next March. Hopefully, both the owners and players will be a little hungrier (for lack of a better term) next year.

Breeder's Cup, baby!
  12. mjames1229

mjames1229 # of visits includes only trips w/ hotel stays

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its starting to become more known that Manfred is not able to keep the owners united. There are reports of 6 to 8 owners who want to shut down the season. Manfred is just a puppet trying to speak for multiple factions within the ownership group.

Super Bowl / Poker Trip Combo Platter
    Bowling the USBC National tournament, I hope.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wasn’t that already obvious when he handed down that bullsh*t Houston Astros punishment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. rooster42000

rooster42000 Brady # 1

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. Michael Smith

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks Rooster. Sounds very promising. A 60 game season might be pretty fun—of course old school fans will hate it. I think talent will rise to the top right away and I'm predicting today that the Dodgers win it all—spoiler alert: I hate the Dodgers and am a lifelong Giants fan. But my first bet when I get to Vegas in August will be on LA. Hopefully the odds will be decent.

Breeder's Cup, baby!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

No............I don't think so.......
    If it does ?
    It will be a " Travesty To The Game ".
    MLB will " experiment" with rule changes ( that they want to install in the future )
    and make a mockery of the 162 game schedule.
    There will be no reason to play 162 games after this non sense they talk about installing.
    It will be THE FUTURE of MLB that 162 games and HALF the league will make the playoffs - that's what the owners want.
    That's why I call the NBA REGULAR season......".The Exhibition Season " - that's all it is -
    NBA Playoffs start the REAL season.
    We have to separate our FANDOM from reality
    Players - team officials - support personnel ( and ALOT of them ! ) - families, etc
    How are they to function in a PANDEMIC.....that is STILL RISING in USA ?
    We want our sports !
    We love our sports !
    How do think America dealt with WW II ?
    This is how we should be UNITED ,

17. poidawg

poidawg Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think this gets done. At 60 games maybe my Padres have a chance if they get off to a hot start! It's gonna be a crap shoot with all the rule changes, potentially no fans or home field advantage, and maybe some players sitting out. Dr Fauci advised that the season not go past October but I think some baseball is waaaaay better than no baseball.

18. fasbman

fasbman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even if their is only a 60 game season, I predict that the Detroit Tigers will still manage to lose at least 100 games!

• Funny Funny x 5
  19. Michael Smith

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully. I'd love to see a runner automatically placed at second base in the top of tenth. Like I said, old schoolers will hate it, but I seriously doubt the 162 game season is in jeopardy in the future. Simply too much money involved.

I do agree with your "PANDEMIC" fears, but, you know, we have to trust that players and management will be smart. South Koreans have been playing baseball for over a month now without incident. Of course, in that country EVERYONE wears masks.

Breeder's Cup, baby!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. LVRaiders

LVRaiders High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The title with the * next to it - 2020 60 game champion

Labor Day Wknd