1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Baseball fans

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by CaptCampion, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptCampion

CaptCampion VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Favorite MLB ballparks (atmosphere and price/availability of good seats). Remove Mariners, Rangers, Angels, A’s, Tigers, Astro’s. Make your case.

Considering a trip for our 16 year-old son who loves baseball. Doesn't matter so much who to opponent is, I'm just looking for a fun ballpark.

2. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Miller park but it may have a new name now in Milwaukee,

3. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fenway has great atmosphere, but tickets can be pricey

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. greekjim

greekjim King Gyro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And if you do miller park, you’ll be only be about an hour and a half from wrigley field

5. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wrigley and Fenway are the two best, but if you're a baseball fan you already know that They certainly do not tick the price and availability of good seats box, though.

So I'll go to bat for nearby Kansas City. It's an old school stadium in its own way (being over 40 years old). They've done a nice job pumping life back into the place, and the fountain makes it quite unique (as well as the CF scoreboard). Good seats can always be had (tougher when the Red Sox, Yankees or Cardinals are in town), and if you go on a weekend night the atmosphere is still good (since the team is dreadfully awful the place can be kind of a morgue during the week). Make sure you arrive early, though, because a big part of the atmosphere is the tailgating in the parking lot. These fans aren't going to let a little bit (read a LOT) of bad baseball keep them from having fun!

6. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guaranteed rate where the sox play is a great place to watch a game. Best ballpark food around.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could hit AT&T and the Coliseum

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't throw rocks but Padres Petco Park, San Diego is a great place to watch a game.
    StubHub has plenty of decent choices for tickets. Friar Franks and a beer...pretty dern good.Ballast point on draft is a good choice. One of my favorite ballpark venues.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could do a neat little tour starting with NYC for the Yankees and Mets. Take your son to Ground Zero while there for a great emotional experience.

Down the Jersey Turnpike to Philly for my hometown team, the Phillies. Grab a cheesesteak at Pat’s or Geno’s or both.

Jump on 95 South for the ride to Baltimore and the Orioles. Get a great dinner in Little Italy.

Back onto 95 South to D.C. and the Nationals.

5 teams, 4 Cities. Could easily be done in a week.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And now Manny Machado.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like the Phillies will be the team to beat this year. It's gonna be a good one. Batter Up!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Come to Vancouver - Nat Bailey Stadium. Blue Jays affiliate. Great little ball park, voted one of the most scenic in North America. Great atmosphere, lots of fun ... and you get all that Vancouver has to offer!

GG

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Petco. Fun stadium. Great location and weather. Fantastic city and area. (And a really good beer town for papa.)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mudhen

Mudhen Always in Dutch

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I were going to travel to see a ballpark, it would probably be Wrigley or Fenway. Old school ballparks, with a lot of baseball history. I haven't been to either one, but as a baseball fan, they appeal to me. Rumor has it that they can get a little rowdy at times, though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Plus the short walking-bridge between The Omni Hotel and Petco Park makes the whole "commute" sweet. My son and I go almost every year.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a Yankees fan, I have to vote for. Yankee Stadium of course. But other stadiums I’ve enjoyed are Camden Yards, Skydome, or whatever it’s called now, Target Field, and Citi Field. Didn’t actually care to much for Fenway, it seems like a total dump, and I’m not saying that as a Yankees fan.

17. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wrigley & Fenway are the two best I’ve been to and it isn’t particularly close. As others have said, neither park/city is going to check the affordability box.

For a more affordable trip, I’d suggest Pittsburgh. Having been there in person, the view is unexpectedly stunning day or night.

9F2B707C-F7AC-4EC4-9512-FCC49057DB76.jpeg 66B902F2-0FA2-4253-B641-462A94FC8010.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  18. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did a little road trip from Philly to Camden Yards to PNC Park in Pittsburgh to Cleveland catching a couple of Sox games and a couple games of convenience. PNC Park was far and away my favorite, and it was very inexpensive. Philadelphia was nice enough, Camden Yards was fun for us because it is considered to be Fenway South with all the Sox fans, and Cleveland was fine. Total driving time from Philly to Cleveland was around 7 and a half hours, so it was a breeze really. It was a really fun little trip and I keep thinking about doing another ballpark trip, but somehow I always end up in Vegas or the Caribbean - go figure.

19. HHFan

HHFan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We’ve hit a lot of parks in the last few years, and hoping to clear 3-5 more this season. Got New York, DC, and Atlanta on the to-do list so far. I’ll give my top five full reviews and do quick hits for the rest.

1. PNC Park (Pittsburgh)- Easy to see why this one is always so high on the list. Beautiful park, great views, cool pregrame atmosphere, and cheap tickets. F&B options weren’t the greatest of the parks we’ve visited, but no real complaints. Pittsburgh is a cool city too.

2. Petco Park (San Diego) - Wife and I were really surprised by how much we enjoyed our night here. Really laid back atmosphere so if you want to be surrounded by hardcore fans this isn’t the spot. Tons of vendors/special events going on, cool history museum, lots of different seating options, and great F&B with a variety of hangouts right outside the park. Tickets weren’t the cheapest for a summer Friday night, but weren’t top dollar either.

3. Fenway Park (Boston) - Price and viewing are obvious big red flags here, but the history and atmosphere are undeniable. I was pleasantly surprised by how fan friendly the park was, much nicer to walk around in than Wrigley is. They did a great job with the upgrades here. You’ve got to be real careful picking your seat here, and you’ll be paying super high prices to guarantee the better seats. I think I paid $60-70 face value each for right field seats 20 rows up from the wall. Our seat mates were super welcoming season ticket holders, which made for a positive experience. I wasn’t impressed with Boston overall though.

4. Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Baltimore) - Super cheap, lots of local flavor, and the ballpark that created the modern baseball experience. Negative would be the small crowds (though the folks that show up certainly know their stuff) and lack of open concourses. Surrounding bars create a cool pregame atmosphere, there’s some cool history in town, and it’s easy to link this one up with a trip to DC/Philly/NYC.

5. Coors Field (Denver) - Beautiful setting, lots of good values for tickets, great atmosphere surrounding the park, and maybe the most in game entertainment of any park I’ve visited. Games are generally more exciting with the elevation and scoring, not as likely to sit through a 1-0 slog here. The negative is that Coors is essentially treated like a bar/hangout spot so a lot of the fans have zero interest in the game. I lived in Denver for a while and it was rare not to sit near groups that couldn’t have cared less about what was going on.

6. Wrigley Field (Chicago) - Great history, poor seating, super expensive, not easy to get around.

7. Citizens Bank Park (Philadelphia) - Excited fans, great food, love the Phanatic, location is garbage.

8. Guaranteed Rate Field (Chicago) - My memory is that it was run of the mill all around, but haven’t been in 15 years.

9. Miller Park (Milwaukee) - Good fan base, cool tailgate scene, Bernie and sausage rave are a plus, baseball in a airplane hangar is sad.

10. Angel Stadium (Anaheim) - 4th oldest stadium and it shows, lots of crappy cheap seats but the decent ones were real pricey.

11. Marlins Park (Miami) - A pretty building where the game feels like a funeral.

12. Tropicana Field (Tampa) - An ugly building where the game feels like a funeral.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:

I love the Padres because they're super-underdogs (my adopted team because hubs loves the Dodgers and I love the park and the Friar Mascot) and I'm a transplanted New Englander. ;) Hardcore Padres fans? I can hardly wait til they win a bunch of games in a row. Seriously.
    I'm generally stuck amongst Dodgers and Angels fans when we visit. Still good venue, food and beer, though. ;)

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.