1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bar Rescue

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by 44inarow, Apr 24, 2021.

1. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 4
  2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's not just on Paramount+

I went to www.paramountnetwork.com and used my Spectrum cable credentials to log in. I'm now able to watch live TV.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. Vegas Erica

Vegas Erica VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Paramount is currently doing a marathon of Las Vegas Bar Rescue episodes leading up to the new episode tonight at 9pm CST

Vegas birthday trip!
    Viva Las Vegas!
  4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in the day we watched that show a lot. Seems he rarely rescued a bar to the point it became successful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. rourou

rourou Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Informative Informative x 3
  6. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He did one in our town about five years ago, owner was very belligerent and hated every change except for a patio dining area. He changed everything back to his way a month later and closed after that. I used to enjoy the show until they employed ‘the formula script’, now every episode has the exact same elements.

Reno Junket!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They've done a few local segments here, none of which, IIAC, were successful.

The one was a really bad trainwreck! The O Face Lounge (I'm sure it's available) and the local Powers That Be ordered the owners to a hearing to show cause why their liquor license should not be revoked, due to the antics on the show. Their "cause" was that the show was scripted and none of it was real.

• Like Like x 1
  8. comfortablynumb

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I watched part of tonight's show and quickly got bored with it. Seems too fake now. The bartenders who were taking shots on camera and not ringing them up seemed 100% staged to me.

Last edited: May 2, 2021 at 8:18 PM
  9. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I missed the show tonight as I was out at a bar...the Man is smart and knows what he is doing but when people cant change and resort back to what didnt work because you think its better, you are doomed to fail...I dont go in the french quarter much anymore but a friend wanted to go, we checked out "Spirits on Bourbon" every time we went it was crazy packed.

10. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As someone that spent many years in the business, I've watched the show from time to time for chuckles. Taffer has a great record in the REAL world. Unfortunately, reality tv isn't real. So much is laughable about the show, from his histrionics to bartenders that have been there for years that don't know the most basic of drinks. I always loved the fact that they'll have 4-5 people behind the bar and no one on the floor!

A few years back, I did a little research on his success rate. Not very good. Some revert to original name and/or concept and some just go out of business. This is realistic though. If you have a floundering business, no one can come in for a few days and completely turn it around. He may be a talented consultant, but he ain't no magician!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Maxbet

Maxbet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He's done a few bars where I live. The Olive Pit, remains a pit.

Punk Rock Bowling!
    LL probably still will not be open by September
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if they will be revisiting Club Platinum on East Flamingo, they featured on the show some years back. I go in there when I'm in Vegas and I find it a good place for a late night drink. Obviously the drama is fairly staged in these types of show and one of the staff in there was telling me about when they filmed there.

13. steveks225

steveks225 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate at Lawry’s across the street two weeks ago tonight. Club Platinum looked closed to me, as Lawry’s didn’t have valet parking available and I had to park in the lot between the restaurant and Flamingo.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Hollywood31

Hollywood31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone seen John out and about the town? It seems like it would be impossible for him to just venture out without a crowd.

15. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is that the Gentleman's Club? If so, I think that episode was on Sunday before the new one. Looked like all Sun episodes were Vegas locations, leading to the start of his saving LV bars this season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. We too were pretty steady fans of the show early on and I lost interest about 2015 or so. We did, however, watch this past Sunday for the Vegas "hype." My son constantly reminds me of the poor success track record thru his Google searches.

Having been in a similar business (pizza/beer/wine) for 20 years in my younger days, it brings back many memories. Most have no business sinking their money into these types of operations. You can put a fresh coat of paint on the joint, some new tables and POS system, but as is said here often, "you can't fix stupid." In many of these failed properties, the owner allows the employees to basically run the place, but the owner pays the bills. After we sold our small chain, I consulted for a couple years and found many, many operators who were completely unprepared for the long-hours and under-capitalized. Many had no experience either, but happened to inherit $100,000+ or cash in a 401K and wanted to "be their own boss."

@dmr mentioned O-Face... that was indeed a memorable episode!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. marcianofan

marcianofan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, they’re all the same. As soon as he starts yelling I turn it off, tho I may watch the vegas ones, can’t help myself when it comes to vegas...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a shooting there a number of weeks ago. It was the lede on the local news but quickly dropped off the radar screen. Yeah, I know, something bad happens at the O Face is very much a "dog bites man" story! :)

19. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've visited two LV Rescues. The Sand Dollar (can't remember the new name) that has returned to the original name and concept. It's on Spring Mtn. I think a new owner bought it a few years back. I had a beer and saw nothing exciting going on. Anthony Curtis recommended better paytables for VP, which was done as of taping. Must not have lasted long. What I saw in the quarter denom was what you'd see on the strip for nickels.
    The other I saw was the former Kerry's Sports Bar that morphed into the Bacon Bar. It's on Rancho out towards the Santa Fe. With thousands of cars traveling past during the day plus a fair amount of commercial in the area, lunch was a timeframe they wanted to go after. With that in mind, I got there a little after noon. When i got there, just one other at the bar and only one two top in the dining area. Another two top came in during the hour I was there. BT served me quickly, but went right back to texting, which she evidently practices every afternoon. My food came out in a timely manner and was good. I had to ask for another beer to replace my almost empty one.
    All in all, you didn't see much actual work occurring. You won't be paying many bills with the business volume I saw that day. Reviews I just googled are 50/50 and they are still open. How they achieve that feat is beyond me.

20. comfortablynumb

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. I worked in the restaurant industry for about five years in high school and college and I always found the best ran ones were the ones where the owner/operator was very involved. Not to a degree of micromanagement, but involved.

• Agree Agree x 1