$20 Horseshoe (was Bally's)

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Tonyfromjersey

Tonyfromjersey High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Trying to decide wether to even try this. I'm going solo and it's my first trip in 6 years, I'm kinda leaning to No. a clean room will be just fine

2. dreric

dreric Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rather than just sticking the $20 out there, just have it casually in your hand and ask nicely if there are any 'complementary upgrades'. If you know you want high floor, etc., just ask. If they are able to succeed, hand them the $$ as a thank you for great service, if not you have it out for the machines.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Strongly agree. I have it folded up in my hand on the counter while checking in, making sure the agent can see it in my hand. Ask for what you want. The agent knows what's going on. And it avoids the awkward situation when the agent can't upgrade you and has to hand back the twenty.

The $20 sandwich thing is kind of stupid. Why try to hide the $20? The first time I did the stupid sandwich thing, she dropped the $20 into the slot between the desk and her keyboard and had to fish it out. Awkward and pointless.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  4. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just came back from a 3 night stay using the 20 dollar trick. Room 1133 was a suite. 3 nights in total was 185.93 including resort fee.

5. THE FLYING V

THE FLYING V Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just stayed at Ballys Sept 8-11. Had a standard Jubilee King room, strip view fully comped. Because of my TR Visa card, I had VIP access to use Diamond check in. Handed the sandwich, ask for any complimentary upgrades...ended up with a Jubilee Junior Suite, 6635 (high floor) with a great view of both the Eiffel Tower and the Bellagio fountains. She also threw in a coupon book for a bunch of discounts at both Ballys and the Linq, which we actually used ( I'm normally not a coupon type of guy) All in all the "sandwich" has been successful for us probably 85% of the time at both CET and MLife props.

6. Bryan84

Bryan84 Hard six coming out! - Vegas Vacation

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are headed to Bally’s June 7th-11th to celebrate our wedding anniversary. I will give this a shot. We are in a Jubilee King room. Hoping for a junior seeet with a nice view!

7. archie1959

archie1959 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm heading back in August. Have a newly renovated resort room (Indigo tower) Right now price had doubled for 3 night stay from last year. See in 20 dollar trick works.

8. james400

james400 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back from Ballys, 4 days comped. Originally had a Jubilee Jr. suite booked with two queens because that was the best they had when I booked it. Arrived at the Diamond check in and asked if they had a king available. She did in the new tower, but we prefer the Jubilee side as it's closer to the front door and Nosh (we fill up with water at the self service soda fountain). She left for a few minutes, came back and gave us a king bed suite (the ones with the jetted tub in the middle of the room). No $20, no sandwich, just a polite request. It was a beautiful room on a non smoking floor.

FYI, we are CET Diamond card holders through Founderscard and definitely not high rollers who normally get a suite. Upgrades are based on availability and not how much you tip the person at the counter. A good attitude and polite request carry a lot more weight than a $20 tip.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Bryan84

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I are 22 days away from arrival. I’m counting down the hours at this point. It’s going to be nice to get away and be able to do what we want when we want for a few days. Only thing we have planned is a massage the morning of our anniversary and dinner that night.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AndrewJ

AndrewJ Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will I have any problems doing the $20 trick for an upgrade to 2 queen beds? I booked a single king for 2 guests but now my kids are joining us so we need 2 queens. I don't plan on telling the hotel of the extra guests, just that I want 2 queen beds. Will I be pushing it if I also ask for a room upgrade (strip view)?

11. WelshBlonde

WelshBlonde Wishing I was in Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would try that request, its very resonable and $20 should be more than enough tip. Obviously if its super busy or if all the queens are taken it may not happen but otherwise deffo worth a shot!

12. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a $10 trick at Ballys in 2008 and got upgraded to one of the weird old suites with the bathtub in the middle of the room :)

13. Bryan84

Trips to Las Vegas:
    June 7th asked at check in nicely for the best view possible. Was given a pretty good view of the tower and the fountains. No $20 needed.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Jaydub

Jaydub Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked in to Bally's on the 8th for a 3 night stay. Was not sure if it would work, because our resort King room was "comped" as part of the Total Rewards special, with us only paying $40/night in resort fees. Picked my guy at the desk, handed him the sandwich, told him we were in town celebrating my 40th, and asked if there were any upgrades available. He put us in a Resort Executive Suite, with the tub in the middle and the two-way walk in shower. Had a slight fountain view, and none of the noise that the Jubilee tower is known for. We were at the end of the hall, too, so halfway noise was minimal. The wife had never seen the trick before, so she thought it was smooth as hell. A++, would try again.

• Like Like x 2
  15. stlrocker

stlrocker Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LMFAO

Tried it once, didin't get much at felt I started with a $20.00 loss.. Will try to just show it in the hand this time.

16. Luv2cruise

Luv2cruise Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just got back from Bally's from a 5-night stay using the 20 dollar trick. Arrived late (our flight was delayed coming in LAS), we checked in at past midnight on a Wednesday (2/6), picked a clerk (woman) at the front desk (did not used the Diamond check in counter), handed her the 20 $ sandwich, told her we were in town celebrating my husband retirement and no view necessary, just a quiet room. Kindly asked her if a complimentary upgrade would be available. Got upgraded to room 1298, an executive suite. Had an Eiffel tower and slight fountain view + quiet room. We were at the end of the hall of the resort tower. Originally booked a king resort room, 5 nights in total was 215.60 with taxes (resort fees were waived and valet parking was free beeing Diamond).

• Like Like x 3
  17. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ooohh...think we will give it a shot this time. We are in town for our 25th (albeit a few weeks early--I can't control school spring break!)--we were married in Vegas! (Candlelight Chapel).

We came in for our 20th & were booked at Caesars & mentioned our anniversary & were bumped from Forum Tower (then unrenovated) to Augustus--nice move.

18. dfense072

dfense072 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    $20 Trick = successful! We arrived Sat 3/16 around 9:00pm. I wedged the cash between my credit card & ID, asked if any complimentary suite upgrades were available, and the agent found us a Resort Tower Studio Suite.

I didn't take any pics, but we were both very impressed with our digs. It was more like an oversized room than a suite (think Rio standard suite). All new furnishings, a comfy king size bed, two leather chairs, a 55” flat-screen TV, his & hers sinks on either side of an oversized walk-in shower, and a huge soaking tub. I was hoping for that one-in-a-million upgrade to a massive Penthouse suite with butler service & private helipad, and we didn't have any sort of a view, but Room 661 was well worth the extra $20.

• Like Like x 5
  19. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did the $20 trick at Bally's at Diamond check-in at it was successful. I got upgraded to a Jubilee Tower Studio Suite. It was great and definitely worth $20.

• Like Like x 1
  20. K-9treatbaker

K-9treatbaker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello Vegas Peeps,

I hope I am posting this in the correct place.:confused: If not, I apologize.

I have a reservation for Sept. Sun.-Thurs. in a Jubilee Premium Strip View King room.

What room type would be above this one? I am going to ask upon check in, if any complimentary upgrades are available. Will show a 20.00 bill as well. :)

From reading post on here, it seems like it is wise to know room types and what to ask for, when asking for an upgrade.

Thank you in advance for suggestions.