1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Bacchanal Buffet

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by shawn_d, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shawn_d

shawn_d Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got managed into going to this place last night and had to share a few observations...

1) getting in the door is a fiasco - they sort you based on size of the party and for some the announced wait was 1 to 1.5 hours. Only took us 40 minutes to be seated.

2) they come around taking pictures of people in line... there's nothing more memorable of a Vegas trip than that time I stood in line for an hour for food... Said no one ever!!!

3) This brings us to the food... if you favor quantity over quality this is definitely the place for you. There is a lot of selection; better than most buffets I have been to and covering an array of cuisines.

Let's start with cold seafood - oysters maybe... if you adore them as much as I and demand them by name then you are going to be very sorry... gritty and flat tasting was my recollection of it.

So move on to the paella - you know the aroma and flavour? Turns out, someone at Caesars missed that memo! A lot of the food was single dimensional.

The lamb was seasoned well but cooked wrong...

Asian food? If you like Panda Express (and no disrespect to PE) then you are in for a treat... something fundamental like noodles in soup was done wrong.

4) At this point I was at the limits of what I considered acceptable so I went for the dessert table. The plates were hot, not just warm to the touch but warm enough to melt the chocolate off some of my choices. There wasn't anything inspired among the choices.

5) I summoned a manager and voiced my disappointment in the quality of food and the plate situation. He apologized the standard canned response involving multi directional finger pointing and an offer to return.

I learned a long time ago a smart man knows when to leave the table in Vegas. The highlight of dinner was a creation my brother assembled from other dishes - it was an adventure in flavour. I don't usually hold a buffet restaurant to any high degree of standard but in a town with as many choices as LV, this is worth calling out. Save your time and your tastebuds...

Redemption will hopefully be found in one of the fine establishments in V/P later today.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Let's start with cold seafood - oysters maybe... if you adore them as much as I and demand them by name then you are going to be very sorry... gritty and flat tasting was my recollection of it"

They must've been pasteurized. Many of the buffets that serve raw oysters are starting to do this to avoid food borne illness.

Hmmmmm, I found the Asian selection to be good. Not as good as a Chinese restaurant, but above average for a buffet.

But, then again, I don't eat there often, just when I have guests that have never eaten there before.

Another NGO trip. QQQQ/NYNY
    • Like Like x 1
  3. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Buffets are for variety. I've found the quality to be excellent. Where else can you get oysters, prime rib, Chinese food, pizza and a taco all in one meal?

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Food tastes are subjective, quite a personal choice. Saying "the best this" or "the worst that" does not make a complaint.

However, when you venture into safety issues such as dirty dishes, spoiled items or infestation - then the complaints are legitimate.

The beauty of Vegas is there are a million choices!

5. YukonSloMo

YukonSloMo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am surprised that they take pictures without consent....that is intrusive. I don't know about confidentially or sharing personal information stateside, but taking pix without your approval strikes me as being unlawful....

6. AndyAkeko

AndyAkeko Time magazine's 2006 Person of the Year

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our last two trips to Bacchanal we noticed a sharp drop in quality from our initial trips. Wondering if that's the norm in Vegas ... open the buffet to rave reviews and coast on the reputation for years. That's certainly our theory with the Spice Market Buffet!

7. PlanetMark

PlanetMark Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoyed the Bacchanal on my last trip, I have an allergy (Celiac) and they found someone to walk me along the stations to offer advice. Mostly obvious, though having someone to ask for the 'maybe' items certainly gave me more choices. Compared to the other places where the staff have never even heard of gluten, this was a big plus which I was genuinely grateful for!

Overall top notch... was a Brunch special over xmas, no queue at the time.

8. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taking your picture in a public place without your consent is not unlawful. If it was the entire paparazzi business wouldn't exist or at least would spend most of their time in legal fights. I do agree though that it is bothersome and I'm not a fan of places with roaming photographers who take my picture without my consent for the purpose of trying to sell it to me later. Who still buys prints anyways??

9. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    no picture - tell them your Amish

10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The singular time I was there, one of the guys in our party was Diamond and we got right in. Party of 6 IIRC.

One of the most annoying things I can think of is where they have a captive audience, take photos, and try to sell them! :(

Now I admit, back in Old Vegas {tm} at the production shows they would have a wandering photographer who would go from table to table, asking if people wanted to be photographed with a "no charge, buy the print only if you like it" thing and I thought it was fine, even classy. Of course you dressed for a show back then. Nowadays it's while people are waiting on line somewhere (show, Lake Mead Cruise, Paris tower) and it's like mug shots. But at a buffet line? Excuse me???!!! Jeesh! :(

There was a lot of selection I admit. Nothing, IMAO, was memorable. I can't really remember what I ate there.

LOL, sounds like one of those "I dare you to eat this!" things some of the guys used to do in the high school cafeteria!

IANAL, but I am a photographer (IAAP ???) :), so this is not legal advice. :)

In the States, under most circumstances, it's legal to photograph people in public places. The buffet line would be private property, and as long as they are doing this with the approval of the management of said property, it's most likely 100% legal. There's a lot of case law out there on the topic of photographing persons in public places, most of it supporting the photographer. Researching this will be left as an exercise for the student. :) YMMV in other countries. :)

When we went to the Caesars buffet they were definitely NOT photographing people waiting. I'm sure if they are doing this, they are getting plenty of complaints about it.

11. file1040

file1040 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have to agree that the quality at the Bacchanal Buffet has gone down. The AKC was frozen and quite watery. No flavor. Hot plates are OK if you are getting some foods. I don't like a hot plate for my salads or sushi or desert. I realize they constantly are replenishing but come 'on figure something out. Aria wins out again and no photographer!

12. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never had a desire to go back either.... nothing impressed me much. We do go to the Wicked Spoon at Cosmo once per trip.

13. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ate last summer & the summer before & always enjoyed it. But we always go for late breakfast/early lunch. No lines.

Always felt the food was above average (while buffets in general are too often mediocre at best). I agree no standouts--but I cannot think of ANY buffet that has provided me with "standouts".

14. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Here is what happens at many a buffet (Vegas or elsewhere) - when it opens for the first time, there is an excitement among the employees, management and diners. After awhile, that buzz wears off for the employees and the management doesn't stay on top of things either. The Bellagio is a prime example of a buffet that has become "tired".
    In the food biz, it is much easier to get burned out (bored) working on a buffet than in a sit-down establishment.

15. DDB

DDB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate there last year and thought it was superb.

Tried it again this year and it was just "meh", considering the price.

Will give it another try on my next trip, but only if I have enough RC to pay for it.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just ate there for the first time on July 4th. I am a regular Joe with no special status etc.

Wait times were ridiculous for dinner and ranged from 100-140 minutes based on the kiosk. This was before you could even get into the line to pay.

A word of warning for people that use the TR app. It does give you estimated wait times and you can technically check in online but this feature is buggy and not consistent as I had used it and the woman in charge of the line did not see my name/number on her Ipad/tablet. I had to show her my phone with the text until she would let us in. Safest bet is to get a paper ticket from the kiosk.

Price was pretty high (~$70) for the holiday pricing. After getting in line to pay, you then wait to get seated. I did see the photographer asking to take peoples pictures while waiting in line. Some people actually bought photos. Kind of lame to be honest but anything to make a buck I guess.

Unless you have status, the wait time, especially for peak hours is annoying.

Food quality was reasonably good overall. The plates are heated which doesn't really work for cold foods etc.
    The lines inside the buffet are equally annoying. The line for shrimp/crab legs took nearly 5-10 minutes as people were going nuts trying to find their perfect crab leg. This line bled over into the carving station etc and made it difficult to get around.

I will say the desserts at the Bachannal were fantastic. A good amount of variety including creme brulee, flan, gelato, and difference cheesecakes.

Service was average. Took awhile to get drinks refilled and plates cleared.

I don't feel its worth the $70 price. I know this was the holiday price but even the regular price is too high for the quality and dealing with the crowds.

I honestly had a better meal at the Wicked Spoon (less variety but I thought quality was similar).

17. Gmoney10

Gmoney10 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We tried it this past trip at the end of June and my wife and I weren't impressed by the food especially for the price. I wouldn't go back to this buffet with so many other Choices in town. Sounds like Wicked Spoon might be our next choice to try.

18. rgrif57

rgrif57 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have seen it hit or miss, the prime rib is usually very good and the brisket has been great, as a whole the carving area has a lot to choose from. We are not seafood eaters but we have taken our daughter and son in law who enjoy crab legs and some seafood and they really enjoyed. We enjoy the Italian and Chinese The desserts are good. Do you get your moneys worth, well we can go to a good restaurant (like Grand Lux or Planet Dailies) and spend 30 or more each not counting a dessert, or a top notch steakhouse or Italian and spend $150 or more for a couple. We usually eat there every other time we are in town and are actually debating on eating there this time. If so will give a report..............Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.