1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

August 15 - 20. MGM, Craps, and Food!

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by musicmcb, Aug 23, 2021.

1. musicmcb

musicmcb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Husband and I spent 5 nights at MGM Grand and this forum has been so valuable I'd like to contribute my account of our trip. I've really enjoyed the live reports lately, but just couldn't commit so here it is after the fact. Instead of a day by day, I'm going to divide it into categories throughout the week. Hopefully some will find the information useful....

MGM Grand Check In and Pool
    We LOVE MGM Grand. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it is our home base for most trips. We are low rollers and like to play craps so its proximity to Excalibur is key. Plus, our low rolling keeps getting us 3 night comped, plus $50 resort credit here regularly. Also, we are pool people so the pool complex and the lazy river here are hard to beat.

Mobile Check In
    • I'd never done it before and I decided to take our chances, but I was still worried we would end up on a low level room facing a wall. Figured worse case scenario I'd go to the check in desk to ask what else might be available.
    • Plane landed at 10:10 am and as soon as I turned off airplane mode I got a notification saying our room was ready - 13th floor.
    • High enough to see over the lower roof and we had a strip view!
    • We were unpacked and at the pool with a margarita in hand by 11:45 :)

MGM Pool
    • No issues getting a chair and day of the week, but Lazy River prime seating took a little extra effort.
    • Busiest on Sunday.
    • Biggest complaint.....only one pool towel. Never had that happen before and really disappointing from a customer service perspective.
    • Poolside Pod - $60 reserved in April when I was concerned about capacity limits. I almost booked for a second day at that time and really should have as prices skyrocketed to over $400 by the end of July!
    • Ended up reserving 2 chairs for $75 each at the end of June. Had planned to cancel them, but we decided to splurge and that having a comfortable, dedicated spot on the lazy river was a luxury we were willing to pay for on our last full day.
    • Food portions are generous and good!
      • Nachos
      • Chicken Tenders
      • Burger - double patty - least favorite of the three
      • Drinks are stupid expensive but we ordered them anyway :)
    I'm working on writing up craps and restaurant info....will try to get some more posted in the morning.

• Like Like x 5
  2. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You had me at craps…. Following!

January 8th - January 11th
    July 23rd - July 27th
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  3. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    January 8th - January 11th
    July 23rd - July 27th
  4. Dancingkookie

Dancingkookie Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hooray!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. musicmcb

musicmcb Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Craps
    We are low rollers and have really only played $5 tables. How low a roller, you may ask? Bankroll for this 5 night trip was $300 each. I also was able to turn some freeplay into actual cash so that gave use some cushion as well.
    • Excalibur was the only $10 table we saw. We checked MGM, NYNY, ParkMGM, Mandalay Bay, PH. We did have someone tell us they found $10 at Luxor. Excalibur was $15 on Monday night and we never bothered to check again.
    • $15 -$25 everywhere else.
    • MGM had mostly $25 table all the time, but there was a $15 crapless table open most nights.
    • One morning the table minimum at Excalibur was raised from $10 to $15 during our session but they grandfathered us in.
    • Tried $10 Roll to Win at Planet Hollywood - I got the dice quickly, rolled and lost quickly. It just didn’t feel right so we left and never tried again.

• We played every morning at Excalibur for a couple hours starting around 9 or 10 am. Always started with a $200 bankroll each and only once walked away with less that $100.
    • Learned to play a $10 table and really enjoyed it. Primarily focused on placing the 6 and 8. I had occasional field bets and husband occasionally played the pass line. This allowed us to have a similar amount of money on they table as if we were at a $5 table but being able to choose our own numbers I think helped maintain the bankroll.
    • I had planned to use my freeplay to bet a bit more aggressively but apparently I have fairly strong loss aversion. I did finally get more action on the table (field bets and pressing the 6 and 8) during our very last session and that was a lot of fun. I was down to my last $25 and managed to get up for awhile and then finished close to even.
    • There were always great people at the table and we had a few really fun and exciting sessions. My favorite was when I had the dice and rolled five 7s in a row on the come out. What made that even more interesting is that they entire other side of the table was playing the dark side....
    • I continued to have a pretty good run once the point was set on 8 and then one of the guys at the other end of the table cashes out in the middle of it. Took awhile and we were complaining to each other about disrupting the flow of the roll. Next thing I know someone bets big on the hard 8 and another player hops the 8. Must have been some good luck because I hit the hard eight on the next roll! Fun morning :)
    • Tried Bubble Craps one evening at Palazzo to kill some time before a show. Won a little and had more fun that I would have thought.
    • We ended up at $5 Bubble Craps at Park MGM another evening before dinner reservations and really enjoyed ourselves. Even had some "table" camaraderie. We ended up there most evenings the rest of the week. Loved that it was smoke free and the atmosphere was perfect for us. Just lively enough but not too loud.
    • We were prepared with a strategy to play $15 tables in the evenings, but had such good $10 sessions each morning that playing $5 bubble was a nice way to manage the bank roll and end the evenings. Plus we were enjoying it much more than I ever would have guessed.
    • During one session my husband got down to his last $4, so I gave him a buck to put in the machine so he could make one more bet. Ended up clawing his was all the way back to even ($100).
    • Returned from the trip up $16 inclusive of all gambling and tips. The freeplay made that possible. I didn't keep really good records of my daily wins and losses (something I want to do better in the future) but my husband did. He knows he was down $90.

• Like Like x 8
  6. HornHighAceDuce

HornHighAceDuce Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice job and thanks for the post trip report. Always nice to read detailed craps sessions to tied us over.

7. BoVegas

BoVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for TR, Craps is a fun game.