1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Ask to share a ride with someone using Uber or Lyft @ the airport?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by bubbakitty, Jul 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would like to ask an awkward question but if I stood near the pick up point and would offer to pay cash (let's say 20$) to share a ride downtown town would that be weird to those waiting a pick up? Never sure of wax schedule and would contribute to get there more readily. Thanks (and please, mimnimal judgement, I can only offer my cc to so many apps / websites).

It can’t be a rodeo without the bull
  2. UKFanatic

UKFanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, if you're talking about offering the Lyft and Uber drivers that, it won't work. They only drive up to that level of the airport parking garage when they already have a fare waiting on them. If you're talking about making that offer to another passenger waiting for their driver, it might get awkward only because you have no idea whether they are going downtown or somewhere else. So you might get stuck asking a lot of strangers whether they want to take you up on your offer. And if you're trying to get DT more readily, then you just wasted a lot of time asking strangers for a ride with no guarantee you will get one. you may want to re-think this plan

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nah it actually wasn't a plan more then a proposal. Happy with the 2$ wax but just wondered. Thanks. (Never been in the bowels of the uber/lyft pick-up area).

It can’t be a rodeo without the bull
  4. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wouldn't bother me.
    I'd take someone up on that offer if there was an extra seat in the car.
    There were about 5-6 groups of people standing around waiting for cars last week when I was there.
    Just walk up and ask out loud if anyone is going downtown and has an extra seat available in exchange for covering 1/2 the fare. That would be about $10-$12.

• Like Like x 1
  5. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you showed me the cash up front and agreed to get out at my stop, probably. It's not like sharing a cab where one person splits fare at their stop and the other person keeps going. Also, half the point of ride share is no cash, no wallets, no rob me.

6. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Empty wallets in Vegas are more applicable to rides back to the airport. :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a driver I would never accept any offer for a cash ride under any circumstances. It is against Uber and Lyft policy and if caught the driver can be deactivated.

8. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just use Lyft line. Shared ride with up to two people. Even if no match, still charged cheaper price. I would not use from airport if more than carryon luggage.

9. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a good point, using LyftLINE or UberPOOL to and from the airport, with luggage, has created quite a few headaches.

I've had to cram passengers luggage into my trunk to the point they complained about the way I was handling their luggage. Got a low rating from the passenger and of course no tip either.

Then the protesting from the first passenger I picked up because I have to make an additional stop to pick up the second and sometimes third passenger along the route. They are running late for their flight and don't have time for the additional stops yet they request UberPOOL or LyftLINE anyway.

10. Ckspores

Ckspores Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the issue was that they didn't want to/couldn't use their credit card in the app, so wouldn't be able to request a ride in the first place.

I would not consider this from a stranger. I don't use Lyft Line to begin with but I would be suspicious of someone trying to pay cash for a ride share ride by soliciting people in the pickup area. I think it would creep me out and annoy me at the same time.

If you can't or won't enter your credit card number to use the service then stick with other forms of transport that meet your needs.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also there is the risk the driver takes that a person soliciting a cash ride is an undercover TA agent. We know for a fact that the TA in Nevada has undercover agents that solicit cash rides to unsuspecting ride share drivers.

If the driver accepts the cash ride offer the undercover TA identifies himself and issues the driver a citation. The cited driver has to appear at a hearing with the TA, most likely loses that battle, and is deactivated by Uber and Lyft.

I've been approached a few times by people offering cash for a ride, I've turned all of them down. Not worth the risk of being deactivated for a few bucks.

Also the insurance risk, if a driver agrees to a cash ride, Uber and Lyft's $1.5 million coverage is not in affect. Doing a cash ride is giving a ride on the drivers own personal insurance policy.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. pirviii

pirviii Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It doesn't sound like this person wants to give cash to the driver, justs wants to split the cost with someone else who is already heading their way.

13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first ride with Uber was a pool ride from O'Hare to the McCormick Place, traffic was so bad heading in that the driver turned down several pickup requests and I was by myself. When in Chicago, I did two other pooled rides and they were fine.

But if were going to the airport, I would never request a shared ride due to possible delay.

14. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As a passenger I wouldn't accept an offer like that either. Because as a passenger I'm responsible for what I do to the drivers car. If I get sick in it, mess it up and trash it the driver takes pictures and reports it to Uber/Lyft. My CC gets charged for the cleaning fee that is paid to the driver.

Take an offer for cash from another passenger, that I have no idea who they are, to ride along with me and that person trashes the drivers car, the charges are on me because the driver cannot report the damages to the undocumented passenger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's a valid point.
    I wouldn't mind sharing but sure don't want to be financially responsible for someone I don't know.

16. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought they have that feature? You can pick if you want to share. Am I wrong? I think I would do it for a longer haul. One night went went from Golden Nugget to Tropicana. There was already 4 of us though. I think if it was just me or me and my husband, I would do it.

17. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you miss the Wax, take the 108(it's frequency is far greater), it'll get you downtown almost as fast.

18. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think he was going to offer it to the driver.

I agree.

How often does your car get 'trashed'? If I ever split a fare with a fellow rider it won't be with some drunk off his ass dude.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Las Vegan Cajun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That feature is UberPOOL and LyftLINE. When using them the other party requests UberPOOL or LyftLINE through the Uber or Lyft app and the ride is shared. When it's done that way all parties are covered by Uber and Lyft insurance policy's and the other rider can be held accountable for any mess or damage done to the drivers car.

20. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does it cover the luggage damage caused by the driver?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.