1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

As we talk about travel ...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by ken2v, May 14, 2020.

1. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    ... do they want us?

I've seen a number of counties/areas not yet keen on "outsiders" showing up. Much of the ne part of the state -- not seeing in the first place why they were included with the strictest measures -- have been saying "please don't come in quite yet, outsiders" as they transition locally.

And I just go this from Bend tourism:

https://www.visitbend.com/blog/2020/05/14/4-ways-not-to-mess-this-up-as-bend-re-opens-for-business/?fbclid=IwAR0tAN5Kq8LoKpUo0Yhs4JQt_ukGwC2PFywNlWLBf-_aGLMph_a_FvKBSc4

Essentially it says "we look forward to seeing you ... later."

I have friends who spend half the year in Sun Valley and they said a lot of the "truer" locals were pissed when metropolitaners flocked in when it really started to hit the fan.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hawaii is still trying to figure out how to welcome visitors to the state and still have safety measures in place.

Right now with a stay at home directive still in order and the majority of retail, tourist attractions, parks and beaches either closed or severely restricted, visiting the 50th state is really not worth it.

In my opinion it would be better to save money and come when there are things to do and things to see along with open attractions, beaches, dining and retail outlets.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michael Smith

Michael Smith High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Anyone know if you're still required to fill out a survey when you enter Utah? Truckers were upset about it and the governor had to walk it back for them, but not sure about regular tourists.

Breeder's Cup, baby!
  4. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our county sent this to second home owners.

https://www.pacificcountycovid19.com/uploads/5/8/7/9/58797525/4.13.20_letter_to_2nd_home_owners.pdf?fbclid=IwAR12bgYseVAAr3xlKmbo7G7E5x_FZEmd1bOiVjvZchs6yEPVQGYfERWv_Dc

And, yes. Many locals are NOT happy about having visitors at this time. Things are easing a little, like opening every-other car parking on beach approaches three days ago. Most businesses are closed, except take-out food, service stations, hardware/building supply stores.

5. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know back in March that parts of NC weren't happy about this (the mountains & the beaches...) I don't think the mountain locations were able to take any actions but some of the beach counties weren't allowing anyone in without the right tags (which most beach homeowners have for hurricane evacuations....) I don't think they're doing that now.

6. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is one of the new problems we face now. A rural area with low volatility or a state for that matter, opens only see an influx from a high volatility area spells trouble. The solution will not be easy.

7. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, this is the next shoe. Or let's say it's one of the shoes in the closet.

8. Gus

Gus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    for awhile according to my brother in hawaii any visitor was to be put in 14 day quarantine.. they just started to "limit" residents beach access.
    I don't see traveling being anything close to what it was till we get a cure.

9. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Florida Keys are restricted to mostly locals...if you can't prove why you need to be there, you are turned around at a checkpoint.

I am not sure how they will plan their reopening since it is a tourist location. Restricting every outsider is easy; keeping the numbers down while reopening will be harder since large numbers of people come in from South Florida over weekends and for longer vacations.

We stay in a rental house when we go, but we do go to stores (for food mostly), bait shops, gas stations ( I buy fuel for the boat we rent from them; Rec 90 is much cheaper than on the water and it isn't too hard to fill up the boat from gas cans), and sometimes go out for meals. We can easily limit the outside contact a lot by eliminating meals. That is a bit different from tourists heading into Key West, staying in more densely populated locations, and frequenting the local bars and restaurants.

10. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I remember early on when some states (including Florida and Rhode Island) were turning people back with NY or NJ license plates, including people with dual residencies and who in any other time are a big reason why a local/small community is economically vibrant.

As someone who has been strictly adhering to CDC guidelines, I support states wanting to be careful with EVERYONE -- residents and tourists alike -- but reopening quickly from a local perspective (I still can't get out of my mind pictures of packed Florida beaches with spring breakers in late March) and at the same time saying we don't want people from a certain state, well, IMO that is not a particularly considered policy, especially when some of those states -- and especially their businesses -- will be spending God knows what in marketing dollars begging folks from NY, NJ, etc. with disposable income to return to visit and spend $$$.

What I do or don't do as an individual isn't going to make a difference, but I do have some states at the top and bottom of a visitation/spend/support list in my mind and am factoring in how some of these states rolled early on and how they continue to manage the crisis.

Edited to add: For the time being -- and for likely at least another 6 to 8 weeks -- I expect to be doing what I am now, which is staying at home. I want to start getting walks in though, fully protected, in the early morning.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Celebrating Life, Family + Friends in Our Beloved Vegas + the Great SW
    • Love Love x 1
  12. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In one hand I do want to go somewhere, but but I feel like I would be disrupting a fragile ecosystem. I think if things start to normalize, I would be happy staying at a hotel or a vacation rental for a few nights. Even if there's nothing to do, I'll be away from home.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're thinking that same thing. Drive over the Sierra, bunk at a Marriott or Best Western or whatever, shoot through Death Valley then come home over the southern Sierra portal. Take food, get takeaway, we won't actually be congregating with anyone. But then we ponder, is that really the thing to do right now? It's really no different than going out once a week to grocery shop or support a local business with takeaway dinner, right??? I guess if we had an RV it would be a done deal.

14. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a time when my kids were literally snot nosed kids....
    We didn’t take them to visit relatives (or friends) when they were sick.
    We never visited if it was reversed.

We were isolated until things passed.

How is this any different????

• Like Like x 1
  15. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You were being polite, respectful. And logical.

Think about the asymptomatics out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. LB9

LB9 PH Blackjack Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I were hoping to visit Panama or go back to Costa Rica (we went there during our honeymoon), I'm hoping they still welcome visitors come next year. We took Avianca last year, but it looks like we'll have to find another airline now =/

Bally's Nov 6 - 9
  17. JaDubya

JaDubya High Roller? Nah...just a Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Early in 2020, we considered going to Hawaii. We dropped that idea because we thought, what would happen if somehow one of us got COVID & were hospitalized in Hawaii. Would their hospitals have the capacity to handle our case & others cases? Would we go bankrupt if the hospital stay was long? Easier to stay safe at home, so we nixed all plans. Also I couldn’t find vacation packages with refund policies that aligned with my wallet.

18. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the RV solves most of the problem.

A psychological barrier. Like wearing a mask outside.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know someone who just did a near "circumnavigation" of the continental U.S in an RV (fifth-wheel, to be exact).

20. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Other than your bike and clubs riding along....it would be an expensive toy!!!!