1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Area near UNLV etc?

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by trellaine, May 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trellaine

trellaine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not so much a living question but as a visitor is the area going towards UNLV and past there. Basically that area is it safe , day and night? I think I read somewhere it's a bit sketchy?

Being alone should I be alright during the day? I just plan to pick up groceries and eat lunch and/dinner somewhere that direction. Then head back to my hotel. No car.

Transit should be ok on flamingo?

Cheers

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Parts of the general area are plenty safe... others aren't. You'll find a lot of riff-raff along both Paradise and Swenson in the Flamingo area. Lotta of traffic on the main streets and UNLV students mixed with low and no-income living quarters populate the area. The large shopping areas are fine, though Blvd Mall on Maryland is getting sketchier by the month. For what you describe, you'll be fine. Go a block or 2 off the beaten path and you'll be looking for trouble and can generally find it down there. The Sierra Vista neighborhood north of Flamingo, south of Desert Inn and west of Maryland should be avoided.

3. trellaine

trellaine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I just plan my one trip to a grocery store. I'll be staying at the platinum hotel. Google seems to suggest Albertsons is the closest grocery chain.

• Like Like x 1
  4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Might be an old search... pretty sure the Albertson's on Flamingo is closed now, as is the one on Tropicana. There's a Von's on Twain (just west of Maryland) that I go to all the time. Von's is connected with Safeway and is a good sixed, full-service store.

5. trellaine

trellaine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ohhhh thanks! LOL I might have been wandering around lol.

Cheers

6. Scooby

Scooby Tourist

Uber might be a good option since you'll be hump'n groceries back to your room. Personally, I would not make that trek after sunset.

7. trellaine

trellaine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yeah, thanks! i would probably go around 1-2pm. I just realized they deliver. They might or might not deliver to my hotel *shrug* that would be even better.

8. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Albertsons on Flamingo is open. We went there today for groceries.

9. pebbles

pebbles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 202 stop is right outside the Platinum. Get off at the 99c store stop and cross the street to Albertsons. To get the bus back head to the sign that says Mission Centre(?) That is the nearest stop without crossing Maryland Pkwy. I'm sure you will be fine.

When do you arrive?

10. trellaine

trellaine High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I arrive around 12pm

11. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I lived right by the Blueberry Hill on Flamingo when I went to UNLV years ago. Smartone's description is how I remember it. Most areas were pretty safe, but there were pockets (mostly low rent apartment complexes) that were super sketchy. I used to cut through the Carl's Junior parking lot on the corner of E. Harmon and Maryland. Most of the time it was fine. Once in a while there was a dead body from a gang shooting, drug overdose, etc.

12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm glad to hear that... I thought I heard it was one of the ones that Albertson's closed. Appreciate being corrected, as that store is far more accessible than the Von's on Twain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on what you need. If you don't need fresh produce or meat or a bakery, the CVS store at Bally's will have practically everything else, and it'll be quite a bit closer than Albertsons or Vons if you're gonna walk. If it's hot, you're not gonna love the walk, even to/from CVS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.