1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Are you a Beatles fan?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Mudhen, Jan 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rubber Soul was their first great album from start to finish. My Grandmother and her family are born and bred Liverpool. Grew up listening to them, but don't listen to them (or much rock) much these days, as I primarily listen to jazz.

I prefer The Kinks and Moody Blues to The Beatles, but they are still a great band. Meanwhile, The Rolling Stones are a bad parody band (Let It Bleed, Yesterday don't matter when it's gone, etc.), though Charlie Watts and Mick Taylor are excellent musicians.

2. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll never forget my father saying 'look at their hair' when they did the Ed Sullivan show...I was maybe 7 with a couple older sisters..I loved them more so than my sisters over the years who were more Carpenters and Bobby Vinton types..:yawn:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  3. Raven888

Raven888 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No.

Their early pop stuff is okay, but after Help! is where I give up. Their later work ranges from niche-psychedelia to half-baked nonsense to just plain un-listen-to-able.

Hope it's not a bannable offense around here to not like the Beatles... haha...

Vegas Vacation VIII - Chinese New Year 2022
  4. nancyf

nancyf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    always loved the Beatles --- I remember the early songs - I was probably 12... but I really, really loved them when they came out with the Sergeant Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band album...

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 'rents said that I was too young to go see them live at Shea. :(

• Love Love x 1
  6. pjbear05

pjbear05 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They're ok. At the time they broke in the US I was living in my birthplace, Detroit, and Motown was also revving up. Obviously I was more into that music than the Beatles. I was more receptive to other Brit Invasion bands, particularly The Kinks, The Animals, and The Dave Clark 5.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteveO

SteveO Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One of my favorite scroll saw projects (and love their music too). 5427BDA0-8CCE-4C17-B472-43A4D36A33B0.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  8. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, I'm a huge Beatles fan. Paul is one of my musical heroes.

IMG_0555.jpg

9. soxfan4life

soxfan4life Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When you look back to 1963 , one year before the Beatles came to these shores, pop music was at it's low ebb. You had artists like Fabian, Bobby Vinton, Bobby Vee, Steve Lawrence etc. dominating the pop charts. It was the worst era in music. The Beatles came along and single handedly revitalized rock n roll music. Whenever I hear early Beatles like She Loves You, I Want To Hold Your Hand, and I Feel Fine I always have in the back of my mind how dead music was prior to the Beatles. No, they are not the lyrical masterpieces of their later years but most of their early stuff are brilliant pop songs. Musicians that understand the subtle chord changes in a recording will tell you how innovative and great their early stuff was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Ah yes !.......
    All the artists you mentioned above ( Fabian, Vinton, Vee, ,Lawrence + Pat Boone ,Paul Anka. etc )
    were all promoted to the forefront of Rock n Roll music - as a "safe" alternative - to the outrage
    of the population who felt " offended " by the earlier R'n'R hit makers !
    Jerry Lee, Little Richard, Elvis, etc.......scared the conservative Americans.
    The British Release of " Rubber Soul "
    was The Beatle's best record IMHO.
    There are ALOT of GREAT ( original ) songs on that version !.....and excellently produced .
    The American Release of " Rubber Soul " was edited down to include less songs -
    so the company could make TWO ALBUMS - instead of one.
    Thus dismantling thee greatest Beatle Album of all time !.......to Americans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.