1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Are timeshare presentations worth it?

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by chefshaun, Feb 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chefshaun

chefshaun Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has anyone done these and felt they were worth the freebies? I have always been tempted to sit through one knowing it will be a very high pressure sales tactic and prepare to say no a million plus times, but what are they like?

How long do they keep you "captive"? At some point do you just say "give me my free stuff I'm leaving"?

Have you ever not gotten the free items promised?

Did you negotiate for extra freebies before hand?

Just seems like a good deal if you can say no for two hours to get a couple of free show tickets. Wondering if there are any other catches.

Thanks again in advance for the advice.

2. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From sitting at the video poker bars and talking to people who have done them, plan on being held captive for twice as long as they tell you it'll take.

3. scrappy

scrappy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    maybe somewhere else, not vegas, depends what your time is worth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ItsVegasTime

ItsVegasTime Vegas Addict

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never have. My time in Vegas is too valuable to me, and it seems like people always have a hard time getting away from those presentations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I once went to a two hour timeshare presentation. I knew I was not going to be buying any timeshare, but it was worth it. I got a four night free stay at Polo Towers out of it. Sweet!!!
    This was at least 20 years ago.

6. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My bride and I attended our one-and-only timeshare presentation at PHo during the time Elara was being built.

We were about an hour in when the free Dew and muffins lost their allure and we longed to get back to our vacation.
    We toured a model room. A few minutes after returning to the lounge/sales area, we mentioned that we were splitting. The rep grabbed [what we assumed to be] his supervisor who asked us if we really wanted to walk away from a deal of a lifetime.
    We said that we did.
    We each received $100 slot play at PHo. My bride turned hers into 65 bucks, mine became about $80.

We have never found our way into another one. Our time in Vegas is often too short to devote time to attend another one.
    When we stayed at Elara a few years back we got a kick out of seeing that the room was exactly like the one we'd toured years before.
    Loved that big projector TV!

RICHARD

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So you are ok with being held hostage on holiday?

Not my cup of tea but to each his own I suppose.

i think you can save money and look on craigslist right in your home town.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. chefshaun

chefshaun Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On a 7 day vacation I might be willing to "sacrifice" losing some money at the tables or by the pool with a couple hours of high pressure sales pitches to get a free show or two or maybe some extra gambling money.

I did post this in the frugal section right? Lol

9. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are timeshare presentations worth it?
    Answer: :haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

• Like Like x 2
  10. hotreds

hotreds Illegitimi non carborundum!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seriously: they are not! IF( big IF) you want a timeshare, the after market is where to buy one. These people are all smiles until you decline their offer. Then they really put on the pressure, and send in several goons to persuade you to take them up on their offer. If you have a day to waste, and that is how you want to waste it I'd caution you not to sign ANYTHING! You'll be there much longer than a couple hours, and you'll leave exhausted and with a headache. A show and food vouchers are not worth the aggravation you'll endure!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. mikeyvegas1

mikeyvegas1 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The wife and I did it once on our first trip to Vegas and we will never do it again.

Sons 21st birthday trip
    40th birthday
  12. NYNYGirl

NYNYGirl VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if it's the same as when I took my almost new, one year old car to the dealership for an oil change and not only was one guy trying to sell me services the car didn't need but then another was trying to sell me a new car...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most of the shows in Las Vegas you can get the tickets at the discount booths up and down The Strip.

As far as being a good deal, that depends what you think your time is worth - most time management consultants will say that you should value your time off for at leatdouble what you make per hour when you are working and then when on vacation you should double that again...

Even if somebody is making just $10 an hour working, when on vacation their time should be worth $40/hour and since two of you have to attend these things you can make that $80/hour. When you consider these things could tie you up for 3-4 hours (its not just the presentation, you have to spend time getting ready, waiting for them to pick you up, drive you there, other people to arrive, go through the presentation, go through the sales pitch, go through another sales pitch after you say no, wait for them to round people up to go back, drive you back to your hotel...) these tickets would have to be worth three to four hundred bucks to really be anything close to a deal, and again thats just if you are making $10 an hour.

And how long you are there on vacation might factor in to the equation, but if its a short trip, like arrive Friday and leave Sunday, if you spend 12-15 hours of the three days sleeping spending 3-4 hours on a time share presentation is still 10-12% of your vacation time... if its a 4 day trip (Sunday to Thursday) thats still going to suck up a good 5% of your vacation.

• Like Like x 1
  14. bignig135

bignig135 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We attended a timeshare in Glasgow a few years ago. Our " 30 minute presentation "lasted 3 hours! Its a good cop/ bad cop scenario, a young girl strung us out for 150 minutes, chatting away happily until it was obvious she wasn't getting anywhere and then a nasty older man harangued us, eventually throwing a voucher for a week for 2 holiday to half a dozen European destinations.

You had to send off a request form, stating your preferred departure airport plus three more airport choices, then which country you preferred - Spain, Greece, Cyprus, Portugal. When they called back, surprise surprise the only option available was our fourth choice airport and fourth choice destination!!!!

I've spoken to loads of people who tried out a timeshare interrogation and the only people who ever managed the free holiday were pestered non stop by timeshare touts in Spain which ruined their holiday,

15. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I despise these timeshare sales people. One of them at the Rio was bothering me while I was playing the slots. Just told him to fuck off. I know hotels are a business, but they shouldn't allow these vultures anywhere in their properties. If your really curious about timeshare presentations look for one in your hometown. Then go on weekend when you have no other plans. I would never do it while on vacation. The free shit they'll give you isn't worth it. I've never been on one anywhere, but I'm always tempted to pimp slap them just for the way they approach me. I think at a presentation I wouldn't be able to control myself when the hard pressure sales tactics started. I would get slap happy and pimp slap everyone there lol.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More painful than root canal without novacaine/

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. runningonthehub

runningonthehub High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I went to my time share meeting, I knew there was no way in hell I was going to buy a timeshare. There was was no way anybody was going to sale me shit.
    The salesman got so frustrated, when he finally realized I was not buying, he ended the meeting after about 90 minutes.
    Can you survive a timeshare meeting? Depends on how strong you are and how committed you are to not buying.

18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In our young and frugal days, we have probably done a dozen timeshare presentations. We never bought a thing and had some very nice vacations at 4-5 star resorts. Some have gone 2 hours, some, we were released after 30 minutes and collected our voucher. The absolute worst one was in Arkansas. We got in the salesman's car and he drove us out to a cabin in the middle of nowhere. We were trapped. 3 hours on that one, but the resort was nice for the next 3 days.

I was a Union negotiator for 10 years and have absolutely no problem saying NO, no matter the amount of pressure applied. Others might have a problem.

19. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wont subject us to any of these people no matter how many free nights they want to give us.
    But while we're on the subject of timeshares,a guy down the street owns,no lie,100 or so. He rents them out but how he manages to survive is incredible.
    A lady that lives here works for Wyndham in AC.selling. She says its not a timeshare but a vacation club, ok whatever,waterboarding is not torture its just waterboarding.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. she loves it

she loves it Tourist

I did one last year while in Vegas. Two of us had a pretty open schedule so we thought a couple hours why not. They were offering us 2 buffets, two tickets to shows of our choice and 1 week vacation in a timeshare. We ended up agreeing to go but for two high roller plus drinks instead of the show.

Of course we ended up spending more then 2 hours it was more like almost 4. Ended up busing us to the presentation property gave us breakfast and then the show started.

They were pushy and all that but it wasnt too bad besides extra time it took.

This November I used the 1 week vacation credit at a spa type resort on the water on Vancouver Island. The place was amazing and in the end totally worth. So two buffets two high roller tickets with drink and a free resort stay was totally work 4 hours of my time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.