1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Are strip clubs dying out?

Discussion in 'Vegas After Dark' started by Farner, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Farner

Farner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48667681

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2019
  2. jrinct1

jrinct1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Article does make some interesting points..but I think it certain areas it will always do decent..And a lot has to do with the economy in the particular areas as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back when I was a young man, you had to put forth the effort, really work, to peruse nekkid women. Whether driving across town to that Seven Eleven next to the airport to purchase a Playboy ('cause that clerk never says anything) or trying to "look" older and slide into the adult theater (does that even exist anymore?) or best of all, a strip club, there was some reward for your effort. Now? The internet has pretty much eliminated the need to even start the car. And being in the military, there was no shortage of entertainment venues just outside the main gate. Payday for Uncle Sam was payday for all. :whistle:

• Like Like x 3
  4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know, strip clubs like Rhinos and Sapphire's are still busy late at night. Yes, it's harder to get strip clubs as write offs but I still see men in suits and ties at the clubs. In fact Rhino's just finished their renovations last year to make the club much bigger.

But one of the main reasons for the closings of strip clubs is basically inflation. Everything costs more nowadays. Real estate is expensive so clubs aren't doing so well because they have to pay a lot more for rent (probably why OG closed). And while lap dances in the main area of the club is still $20 it costs a lot more to go to the private areas. At Crazy Horse III if you want to go to the private rooms you have to pay a room fee, a drink fee and an employee (bouncers, bartender) fee not even counting how much you have to pay the girl for her time. They need to pay much more for security, esp after 9/11. Many clubs wand customers prior to entering, probably because of the violence in (any type of) clubs in the last decade. Which also means that the clubs have to pay more for insurance (I wonder how much MB has to pay for insurance after the shootings). It costs more to pay regular employees. Health insurance is more expensive then before. Girls have to pay higher "fees" to work at the clubs so they have to work harder before they can make a profit.

Many of the smaller clubs are closing because they can't afford to stay open. And yes, cities are making it harder to run that type of business. Girls are asking to be employees instead of independent contractors so now the clubs have to start looking at things they do for normal employees, such as health insurance, minimum wages, etc.

"For one thing, many millennials can't afford to party at strip clubs. As CNBC noted, they have an average of $36,000 in personal debt excluding mortgages. Even those young consumers that can afford to patronize the clubs are taking a pass."

This is a totally stupid claim. If the above is the case then why is vegas pushing the night life scene for the kids? If they can't afford to party at strip clubs, how can they afford to party at the night clubs? I don't see a drop in the night life scene due to the kids taking a pass. And since homes are so expensive, many millennials aren't saving to buy a house so now they actually have money to spend at night clubs. When I was younger I would save up so I could buy a house, that isn't the case anymore, just too expensive, esp in Hawaii so a lot of the millennials aren't looking at saving for a house.

oh, btw, one thing I'm noticing is the dying out of adult men's magazines. Just look at Playboy, I don't think they have nude women anymore. I don't see adult magazines in stores any more (probably just to be PC), you have to go to the smaller seedy stores that still sell them. At the airport I would see one section on adult magazines, now I only see 1 to 3 adult magazines if any at all.

As an example of businesses dying out, just look at bowling alleys. In the 70's Hawaii had dozens of public bowling alleys. As times changed and everything got more expensive we saw bowling alleys closing. Bowling wasn't "in" so less people went bowling. Didn't help that it cost more to bowl a game. On Oahu, I think there are only 4 public bowling alleys left. Many of the alleys are still there, just that they are now churches, storage facilities or other businesses that can afford to pay the rent there.

So just like bowling alleys, I just don't think that strip clubs are as popular as before

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. user3657

user3657 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    hell, with all these instagram models and sites like seeking.com who needs a stripclub lol.

6. pressitagain

pressitagain High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same thing is happening here in Canada.

There is a shift in spending. People on average don’t have less, they have MORE to spend.

The spending has shifted. What used to spent in the back (strip clubs), is now being spent at massage parlours.

7. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i already pay enough $ for a woman to get naked in front of me! :wiggle:

cmon someone had to make that joke.

• Funny Funny x 1