1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

APRIL FOOLS! TSA defends new thermal scanners outside airport checkpoints

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by SH0CK, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the first that I'd heard about these being installed, let alone them already being in use at McCarran. Personally, I'm don't see any issues with them, especially if I can get through those lines quicker. At least it's not as bad as the body scanners fuss when those were first installed.

WASHINGTON – One year, more than 1,000 comments and multiple challenges by advocacy groups later, the Transportation Security Administration issued a rule Friday finalizing its policy for using infrared thermal scanners outside existing security checkpoints.

While TSA insists the scanners are the best way to protect the nation's travelers from terror attacks, critics challenge the use of devices over privacy and health concerns. The legal battle went all the way to an appeals court, which said TSA could keep the scanners if it took legal steps to justify their use.

In a 157-page report that summarizes arguments for and against the scanners, and their hefty price tag of $4.1 billion — the agency said the devices provide “the most effective and least intrusive” way to detect weapons on persons outside of existing checkpoints.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the info, SH0CK!

In these times we all need to remain vigilant! :ssst:

RICHARD

The Alperts Take Polo Towers!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks like typical TSA behavior to me. :p

4. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good. I dont mind getting scanned as i am not hiding anything.

• Like Like x 1
  5. j52chips

j52chips Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it works and helps get people through faster and safe, bring it on. Get us through security, safely, fast and I'm happy. But, sometimes they can get ridiculous with children and seniors. If $4 .1 billion is worth our security fine, but if it's that good you don't have to embarrass seniors and children with, what most people think are unnecessary pat downs. Technology wands may work but just get it right. I miss getting to the airport 30 minutes before a flight but now, it's just a sign of the year 2001 changes.If it works ? , maybe we can go back to getting to the airport a 1/2 hour before a flight. LOL. It will never happen. Oh, bye the way I usually fly out of Midway in Chicago and at times it can get hectic. JUST GET IT RIGHT.

6. sparksinmi

sparksinmi Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    seems kinda 'foolish' to me......

7. siwst852

siwst852 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TSA screening is a bit of a joke. It is there to make folks feel more secure. My friends have accidentally gone through and not been detected with 10" scissors, mace, a bottle of water and yogurt . When I traveled with my other friend a cute blonde and she brought ranch dressing and some other type of dip and when her bagged was checked they let her go with a warning: that it was not legal however they would let her through this time but not to do it again.

OK I googled and saw this is an April fools. Good job you got me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Worst Holiday Ever.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will reserve judgment until I see it working. I would figure it would be used in conjunction with those airport scanners where you step into the unit with your hands up and it scans you. I don't see much difference between the current scanners and this thermal scanner.

I will say that somebody is making a shitload of money off this.

I saw a thermal scanner when I arrived at Incheon airport in Seoul. But they were using the scanner to scan people arriving into the country. I asked and they said they used it to determine if anyone coming in was sick (it would show their body temp as higher). If someone was sick they would pull the person aside to take care of him/her before that person came into the country.

10. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son flew back from his moms last year and had gone through security at a major airport. He was at a shooting range the day prior with his mom and had about five or six bullets of different calibers in his pocket. He made it through security. I had no clue about this until I found several bullets on the floor in his room for calibers that I did not own. I gave him the riot act about what could have happened if he was caught.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.