1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone try Absinthe?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by V.C., Apr 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V.C.

V.C. Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is the restaurant called "Sage" at the Aria Hotel and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried it yet? If you have, what kind of effect did it have? Is it any different than just drinking regular alcohol? What did it taste like? Was it sweet, bitter, etc.? Any comment would be appreciated. :drunk:

2. larryg

larryg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried Absinthe at Sage last year. It was fun to watch preparation of the drink (I chose the traditional method). I forget which brand I had, but I do remember that it was one of the traditional ones in terms of flavor.

Now, about the taste: it was very strongly anise-flavored. I found it made for an interesting drink if sipped slowly, but one was definitely my limit.

Its effect was the same as any alcoholic beverage. It seems that if absinthe ever had any other effect, modern versions don't, due to limited amounts of the active ingredient thujone.

Wikipedia makes for interesting reading. According to one study, you'd probably die of alcohol poisoning before drinking enough absinthe to have a measurable effect from the thujone. This study was based on European absinthe. In the U.S., thujone levels must be more than three times lower than the European versions, so any effect at all is unlikely.

3. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had Absinthe when I went to see Absinthe. The bartender asked if I had ever had it and when I answered no he suggested having it in some sort of mixed drink. I opted to have it the original way with the water/sugar cube mix. It must be an acquired taste. I ended up sipping it slowly for the next 30 minutes or so. No, I did not end up being visited by the green fairy afterwards.

4. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband had a crazy few years where he was obsessed with absinthe. He would try all kinds and search it out when we were in Canada. Now that you can buy it in the US, he's less interested. :haha:

The absinthe itself has a licorice taste to it. I think most of the stuff tastes like watered down nyquil. There is a wonderful Suisse Le Blanc (??) that I loved, but I've never seen it in the US.

You can have absinthe in a cocktail or the "traditional" way with a sugar cube and a fountain that slowly drips water through the sugar cube into the drink. Don't let anyone light it on fire. You won't see a green fairy, but it will get you drunk.

5. Iamrice

Iamrice High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should try it once the "classic" way (sugar cube/water) at least once.

There is a chance you won't like it (My GF hates licorice so she hates absinthe) but if your gonna try it, do it right!
    I love the stuff. I ordered some when it first became legal in the US and waited a month to get a bottle. It was totally worth it. I love the weird buzz it gives.

6. V.C.

V.C. Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you everyone for your answers, when I go in July I will have to try it the traditional way! I like the taste of licorice. :licklips:

7. PopMegaphone

PopMegaphone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with Sonya - absinthe has a licorice taste. I prefer absinthe when its lightly added to a cocktail. Any more than a few dashes of absinthe will overwhelm a drink.

The sazerac and the corpse reviver #2 are two of my favorite cocktails with absinthe. You can order either of them at Sage or American Fish.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.