1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone have the AWAY The Bigger Carry-On?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ski-doo_rider, Jun 30, 2021.

1. ski-doo_rider

ski-doo_rider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What do you think of it, is it worth it? Is there a noticeable difference in size of a normal sized carry-on?

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the maximum sized carry on, and it doesn't fit in the overhead bins of some SWA planes such that it has to be put in sideways rather than lengthwise.

I just learn to pack "smarter". However, note that I'm an old man, and my packing needs are more "volume" than "selection".

(confirmed) First HGS weekend
    Palazzo - break before 2nd HGS weekend
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Elf70

Elf70 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have the large Away carryon. I love it. The compression pad works really well. It holds a huge amount of clothing. I’ll for sure get another on when this one wears out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i stay away from battery inclusive luggage.

• Like Like x 1
  5. remmerde

remmerde VMB's Resident Cigar Sommelier

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They make a non-battery version.

• Like Like x 1
  6. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Away comes with a lifetime warranty. if anything wears out, they replace it. we have the midsize check in roller, and one of the compression strap loops that is riveted to the bag broke, and they replaced the entire bag, even though it was maybe 3 years old. great customer service. we also have the large roller for longer multi week trips

• Like Like x 1
  7. BigDubbs

BigDubbs Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yup, I have four Away products, and I think they've made a lifetime customer of me. My profession is in customer relations, so it takes a lot to impress me. Away and Waldor watches (BTW, no stock or financial interest in either) are by far the winners of 2020+.

I had one Away battery pack in the smaller carryon that died, and they replaced it quickly after just a few questions from a REAL person via email. I then had a zipper break on a day pack bag, also replaced immediately.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My two cents in buying luggage.

1) How heavy is it EMPTY? If you start with something heavy, then add stuff, it can get difficult to put in the overhead.

2) 4 Wheel vs 2 Wheel. Those spinners take away inside storage space. Just be warned.

3) Battery charger. I personally do not get that. If you want a charger for you phone, then just buy one. You can use it ANYWHERE with or without your bag.

and my tip about dragging it through the airport, especially is you have a 2nd bag.
    * Pack heavier stuff in the bottom of the bag if possible
    * Hang that second bag LOW on the rollerbag. Do not put it on top of the bag. The difference in weight is amazing and the wear on our arm changes to a point you can almost pull the two bags with one finger. Try it next time. You will be amazed. (this applies to bags with 2 wheels)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. jpw711

jpw711 Is that your cat?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now I"m curious about the Away stuff, hard shell or soft side? I prefer a soft side as I can cram a lot more into one.

Tool, Round two
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ski-doo_rider

ski-doo_rider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. Calder

Calder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    8.4 pounds!

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    5 pounds more than the last two I bought my wife.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always check a bag, and then just have my messenger bag with my laptop and charger. I get free checked bags with my credit card, and it's nice being able to just stroll up to the gate, plus not having to worry about toiletries and such.

14. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    These Away suitcases look interesting, since I've been thinking of replacing my aging 25" Samsonite spinner. I tend to prefer soft-sided, but their 26"er weighs slightly over 12 lbs empty which is pretty heavy compared to my current one. Most airlines charge extra for overweight bags so weight is a big concern when I'm shopping for a checkin suitcase, since I tend to overpack. LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jimgotkp

Jimgotkp Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I probably wouldn't get an Away suitcase for checked bags with the amount of throwing/tossing/etc. checked bags go through. I usually recommend suitcases from TJMaxx, Costco, etc. where you can buy checked bags at very reasonable prices. If the bags get damaged? Just buy a new suitcase.

IMHO, it only makes sense to splurge on a nice carry-on as long as you avoid flights on really small planes where you have to gate check the bags.

• Like Like x 1
  16. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yikes.

My packed bag for a 19 day trip weighed in at 26 pounds.

17. ski-doo_rider

ski-doo_rider Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I prefer not to check a bag for my Vegas trip, just grab & go so this bag works for me. May not work for you , and that is fine. I have portable chargers for my phone already, but having another charging option is great. Besides it pops right out if you do not want to use it or buy the bag that doesn't come with it. It was the same price so opted to get the charger. I had a $300 free credit on my new credit card so it didn't cost me anything. I'm not sure I would have spent that much for a suit case if I had to pay for it. I used it last week for a non flying trip and it was great. I was able to fit a ton of stuff in it!

18. Renaldow

Renaldow High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    8.4 pounds empty? And people like that? I don't think everything I pack even weighs 8.4 pounds. No wonder I see people moving so slowly through the airport dragging these things behind them.

19. BenjaminNicholas

BenjaminNicholas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd rather spend the money and go for Rimowa. That's a bag you have for life.

20. CalifLovesVegas

CalifLovesVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My luggage changes often, needs change, dimensions change. I have several diff sizes, with different capablilites.
    So I don't buy One nice/expensive luggage. I can't imagine using the same one all the time.
    In any case, I always start with a LIGHT piece of luggage. Hard side or soft side.
    It must have terrific wheels, and be LIGHT. I'm also a light packer.;)