1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone Flown Spirit?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Clancy3434, Feb 8, 2019.

1. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No. Don't take your kids into a confined space with the pubic until they're mature enough to know not to scream.

2 weeks in several hotels
    my favorite beds in LV
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Emerson

Emerson Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am just here for the show. Spirit, lol, never again!

I did not like having to pre-pay for my O2 mask should I need it. They charge for everything. I prefer the Southwest model.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    March at Bally's locked in, using my 5000 TC free night.
  3. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread is beginning to resemble a Battista's commentary.

4. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew them from Orlando to my home city. All I say when asked about the experience is that I had such low expectations that I was impressed. The on board offerings were there but at a cost. The service was lack luster as was the friendliness of the crew and our pilot looked like he was 15. The manager was arguing with someone at the airport who checked in 43 minutes early and not 45 and told them policy was 45 minutes and they would not get on that plane.

If everything comes together
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  5. saintpauljeff

saintpauljeff VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always try to fly Spirit, but when I add in the baggage fee, seat selection, etc. the price discount just isn’t worth it to fly them. I’m member of their frequent flyer club with 0 flights to my name

6. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But with Battista's they don't charge extra for the wine!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Foos

Foos High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just got back from a trip on Spirit MSP-FLL-SJO (San Jose Costa Rica) $235 Round trip including the $27 Costa Rica exit tax. It was on time, stress free and I was in my preferred aisle seat on all flights. No credit card sell on any of the flights.
    I Love Spirit!

I used this bag (this color is no longer available) which fits with room to spare in the Free personal item sizer
    https://www.amazon.com/Boardingblue-Personal-airlines-American-Frontier/dp/B07B539RR6/ref=sr_1_1?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1545081452

This color is still available
    https://www.amazon.com/BoardingBlue-Frontier-JetBlue-Airlines-Personal/dp/B07JDTNMR3/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=Boardingblue+Personal+Item+under+seat+for+the+airlines+of+American%2C+Frontier%2C+Spirit&qid=1549910074&s=apparel&sr=1-9

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    International Foosball Tournament And Great Gambling. Whats Not To Lik
  8. Headache 21

Headache 21 Low-Roller

I'm assuming I'll have no issues with just a regular old backpack.

I'm I safe in this assumption?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. QuaDxAceZ

QuaDxAceZ Mirage #1 Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that is correct, you will have no issues with a regular sized backpack

WSOP!
  10. Emerson

Emerson Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    March at Bally's locked in, using my 5000 TC free night.
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  11. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I swore off Spirit in 2012 after a bad experience.

But, you hear things about airlines and we gave them a try again last Sept for Detroit to Fort Lauderdale. It was direct and reasonable. Turned out they don't suck anymore. I would fly them again. We did the exit row, no issues with leg room. I talked to the flight attendant. He was flying international out of JFK for 5 years on Delta (I think it was Delta) which he had to commute to do. He took the job with Spirit to be home more. He had been with Spirit about 18 months when I spoke with him. He said he didn't know much about other airlines and their reputations because Delta was his first job in the industry and he was pretty focused on work and his tan. When he took the job he started hearing things about Spirit and he says that hasn't been his experience. He's heard a lot of passenger horror stories about "the old days". I'd fly Spirit again.

I think it's the same with any industry. Things change. Companies go from good to shitty and back. Gotta be flexible.

12. MiDenny

MiDenny Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had also sworn off Spirit, but have changed my mind. I had a Detroit-Vegas flight where i had so little room i was in considerable pain when I arrived. I'm only 6'1" and it was absolutely horrible. In hindsight, I think I may have had the first row behind the Big Front Seats. My wife recently sat in that row and said that they had less leg room than even the standard Spirit seats. That would explain my experience.

The key for me is to know all of the details up front and compare prices apples to apples. I will try for the Big Front Seats, second choice is an exit row, last is a standard seat on the aisle. Even with the add-ons, I can't find better pricing or schedule for my situation from DTW-LAS. I just bring my own snacks and drinks and a tablet for a movie on the way. I don't check a bag or even buy a carry on for our weekend trips and I always print my boarding pass in advance. Having said all of that, If I couldn't get any of those seat choices, I probably wouldn't book.

If you know their system and can work within it, they aren't bad in my recent experiences. Though I could completely understand getting beyond irritated if flew with them and didn't know about all of the add-on B.S. I've probably flown them on the last 8-10 Vegas trips and one to Florida. Haven't really had any customer service problems or delays to speak of. Hopefully not jinxing myself as i'm 2 days away from the next Vegas flight. Cheers!

13. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

I've come to appreciate Spirit for its no-frills approach, but I travel light. Very satisfied with pricing, service and on-time record (at least on my flts).

14. rhinoman7

rhinoman7 Innocent Bystander

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How do the Spirit seats compare to the Frontier seats???

15. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit comfier IMO. Lots of Frontier flights now have those office looking chairs, uncomfy as F but not back breaking to the point Im willing to spend another $200 on a diff airline.

Seems like some people need their di** sucked when flying. Literally just get me there safely and in one piece and relatively on time. I dont need a can of coke or free anything, just get me there.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. kimbaed

kimbaed Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is that an option?

17. mdm4sfest

mdm4sfest VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well if you think luggage fees are high(which they are), just wait....

18. Supertripleplay

Supertripleplay Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never. Heck, I can't even deal with coach anymore. First class from ORD is usually 700, and totally worth it. Especially since I can put down 10 free drinks ha.

19. Headache 21

Headache 21 Low-Roller

Is never even consider Spirit of it was traveling with my family it needed to check bags. But since I'm going solo with just a backpack I don't foresee any issues. Seems like the delay issues have been solved

20. snoopydogj

snoopydogj Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

The whole dang family trip