1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone Flown Spirit?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Clancy3434, Feb 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJbadlands

NJbadlands PH and Cosmo October 11-15/mirage july 11-14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree on all this. Additionally if an issue w plane they don’t have others on standby so could be super late or canceled altogether. I fly them from jersey to parents in Florida and nowhere further.

2. crm1310

crm1310 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m a fan of spirit. Know what your getting and for the price they can not be beat. Print your boarding pass before arrival, if you check bags pay for that when you book your tickets, bring a drink onto the plane, bring your boarding pass to the D to get $50 as stated above put that on red and pay for your flight! They run specials often between DFW and LAS for $57 each way! Last 4 trips I have booked at that price and I am able to avoid any fees by following the rules. I stay 3 days and can fit anything I need in a back pack.

Sign up for Spirit emails and you will get daily discounts sent to you 35,55, even 75% off flights. I wait until the $57 each way comes and book it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Hyperfocal

Hyperfocal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The seats aren't as bad as you might think. The back of the seat in front of you is convex, so there is a little more room where your knees go on the outside. If you can get an exit row, there is something like 3 feet of legroom, although you may be facing a flight attendant in a rear-facing jump seat. The tray table is about the size of half and iPad.

My only experiences have been flying out of O'Hare to Vegas and both flights pulled away from the gate ahead of time, and only a bit delayed on the way back. It's like flying in a bus, but $62 each way in 2019, I'll take it. Their on-time performance should continue to improve as their fleet gets bigger, since they have to use very new, high fuel efficiency planes for their business model to work.

I'm flying Spirit for a third time at the end of the month.

4. Headache 21

Headache 21 i don't wanna grow up, i'm a toys'r'us kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You guys have made me feel much better about my flight. Thanks!

5. Big Bem

Big Bem Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck!

6. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown on Spirit to Vegas quite a few times out of O'Hare.

Prices can be phenomenal.
    I once got 2 round trip tickets for $22.40 ORD - LAS.

I will NOT check a bag when flying Spirit....
    ......the bag check lines can get INSANELY long.
    (Carry-on if I HAVE to) Buy bags when booking - much cheaper.

Since my flights are around 4 hours long, I fly NON-STOP flights.

Buy a drink/snack before getting on the plane....
    ...just don't be THAT person with the stinky sub with onions!

Hopefully everyone around you keeps their socks/shoes on and their feet under their own seats.
    Hopefully no screaming babies, non-stop loud talkers or tweakers.
    And hopefully you don't get any farters.

Really, the seats aren't THAT bad.
    Yes, the seats do not recline.
    Spirit seats felt roomier than Delta!
    MY HUBS and Son are both 6'2" and they were okay
    ..... taller people should probably buy exit row seats or buy the big seats.
    The "middle seat" has been redesigned to be 1.5 inches WIDER than the other 2 seats on the newer planes.
    The newer planes have a more open feel and the overhead baggage compartments are a better design.

I have been delayed twice, but both times were on the return flight home .
    McCarran's B Gates for Spirit are lacking.
    Food/Store selection, Seats and electrical outlets...all are sorely lacking.

At least Spirit lands in T1.....luggage, rideshare and level zero wax are easy-peasy from T1
    (Frontier uses T3. Late at night T3 is dark and empty with very few machines. It just doesn't feel like Vegas at all!)

Like others have mentioned, The D gives you $50 Matchplay within 24 hours of landing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Calder

Calder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is true for Spirit, as well as Frontier, Allegiant, United, Alaska, Delta, Southwest, Greyhound, Amtrak, Aunt Zelda's Oldsmobile...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. 3544quebec

3544quebec High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, a farter on Greyhound improves the smell of the bus

• Funny Funny x 6
  9. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With the exceptions of the screaming babies and non-stop loud talkers.....
    These things have only ever happened to me whist flying via Spirit.

Had a lady (with bare feet) repeatedly try to force her feet between myself and the window of the plane.
    I played dumb and acted shocked and said super-loudly, "OMG! what WAS that? Was that someone's bare foot?"
    She didn't do that again.

Non-stop death-farter on one trip.
    I wanted to find them and maim them.....so did everyone else who had a nose.

The stinky sandwich loaded with rotten onions....ughhhhh why would anyone do this?

One time on a Southwest flight, a lady left a folded up used poopy diaper on the empty middle seat.
    I guess that's one way to ensure empty seats around you!

• Wow! Wow! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Headache 21

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been on plenty of flights with screaming babies. It only bothered me up until the point where I took my own kids on flights. Now I sympathize.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Vu Tran

Vu Tran Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here a trick about getting a good seat without paying for an upgrade, try to check within an hour or less, make sure your tsa line is less than 30 min wait. check in at the kiosk and if u are lucky u be in front and not the back. So far it work 9 out of 10 times for me and I always fly spirit to vegas every 2 months.

12. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve flown Spirit 10 round trips to Vegas from EWR/PHL. Only once was I delayed more then one hour. My rule of thumb has been simple, if Spirit is lower then a legacy carrier, when you factor in the cost of bags and the Big front seat, then I fly Spirit. Since 2013, when I discovered Spirit, it has always been the same price or less. Now if I couldn’t get the Big front seat, I’d fly a legacy carrier. I’m a big guy, and their regular sears are way to small for a 5 hour flight.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes they still try and sell the credit card in the flight.

14. pultzar

pultzar Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately I am 0 for 1 with Spirit. Booked them Vegas to Boston last year and 30 minutes prior to boarding my flight and a few others were cancelled. This was an early evening flight. They herded the cattle into the front area and 8 hours later with no movement or signs of life I booked a flight on another airline and had to just eat the cost. I understand their on time stuff has improved just sucks that I got screwed. Turns out most of the people in that line waited twelve hours to get offers for flights about 48 hours from then. They don’t offer reimbursement or any type of flight credits or hotel stays so most ended up rebooking on other flights from what I was told. Of course I also got shit from everyone who was like we told you so etc etc. After looking at trends post experience it seems the most susceptibile flights from them for cancellations are cross country later in the day. I wouldn’t hesitate on anything on the short side but will not roll that dice again for Vegas to Boston or vice versa.

15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing I remembered. One of the last times I flew Spirit, I remembered chit-chat here that their seats no longer recline. I was pleasantly surprised that on (at least) one of the Spirit legs the seats did recline.

As I (think) I said once here, one week I ended up with four flights via Spirit and had to sit through that four times and found it to be tres annoying! :(

16. DoctorD

DoctorD Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never can get everything packed into the free personal item. And I’m too cheap to pay $40 each way for a full sized carryon.

I end up sweating it out when I reach the gate agent. Telling myself “Just act cool and nobody will notice my bag is 2 inches too wide and doesn’t fit in the template”. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen, right?

D

EC2B52D2-A2D0-4CC0-8E0D-FEB3A69A19B1.gif
    325D88BA-E0AE-4143-A55F-09FDE154B3C6.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Drunkcrapsplayer

Drunkcrapsplayer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:

I would think JetBlue/ SWA/ DL would be a better product out of Boston.

18. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never once had them do a CC signup on my flight.
    I feel like I'm missing out.

19. pjbear05

pjbear05 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flew the FLL/DTW nonstop years ago was fairly decent. Delayed 90 minutes due to weather on east coast delaying flight from LGA, and though it wasn't their fault, it was free booze once we got airborne.

20. Headache 21

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Taking an early morning flight from BWI... checked flight aware and it looks like not only had it not had any issues with cancellations but it more often than not gets in half an hour early. Looks like their previous issues of mass cancelations and delays is an issue of the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.