1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Anyone ever get travel insurance?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Mider999, Oct 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mider999

Mider999 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does anyone get travel insurance, say in case you fall ill?

2. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep, but it's mostly about the cost of the trip. Came in very handy when COVIDization yanked the rug out from under Germany this year.

3. Mider999

Mider999 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Glad I went before the lockdown

4. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought it last spring for a cruise out of Ireland and first class airline tickets. Then the entire world got sick and it covered nothing. I got my money back from cancellations and refunds, but it was clear that the travel insurance would not cover anything related to the pandemic. I bought it to cover the possibility of a personal illness, but I think I’d rather negotiate with the cruise line than an insurance company.

Endlessly Postponed
    • Like Like x 2
  5. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do when I travel around Asia. Not when I travel in the US though (I am from the US)

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes. I've used it for airfare and some travel that is non-refundable. We were going to use it for a trip next week, but found a place to stay with a better cancellation policy.

Just be sure you read the fine print and make sure you get the policy that works for you. For example, when we were looking for the upcoming trip, we found coverage that required a doctor's note that you're too sick to travel to get reimbursed, and another policy that let you cancel for any reason. Be sure you know all the restrictions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. MawBoi

MawBoi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

Yes, I had an Allianz policy. Had a retinal tear in the UK. Had to come home early and they covered what they were supposed to. Document everything. It helps soften the blow. Mainly, I got it for something really really serious .

• Like Like x 1
  8. DBear

DBear VIP Bear

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes for travel health insurance. I get an annual package that covers me for something like 30 days out of the country over the course of a year. I renew each year although I did let this year expire without renewing. For something like $125 for 30 days protection, it’s worth it. And that price is for someone with pre-existing medical conditions. A family member once got food poisoning overseas and the 3-hour hospital visit cost about $1200 USD. Insurance picked up the full tab. I can’t imagine the cost for something more serious.

• Like Like x 2
  9. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Travel insurance is much cheaper than getting the hospital bill!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. fabriano

fabriano Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always buy travel insurance for overseas travel.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nancyf

nancyf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I buy travel insurance for cruises, and trips out of the country... I also get it for airfare within the states.

12. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I purchase travel insurance with my cruise vacations.

13. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1

Lemongrass Living
    • Like Like x 1
  14. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I buy travel insurance if I have a complicated flight connection that has no simple workaround. For example if I have to make a connecting flight to get to a cruise that will leave without me if I'm late. I assume the insurance will pay for me to get to the next port by flight/ helicopter/ catapult/ etc. I have read the fine print carefully and research the policy but I have never actually made a claim.

I try to get the "cancel for any reason " insurance which would have covered a pandemic, at least it did when I checked back in March. Maybe that has changed.

However a lot of my travel uses points and you have to show receipts of money spent for reimbursement, so those trips can't really be insured.

Regarding illnesses while traveling:
    Your health insurance may reimburse you for health issues when you travel, or the expenses may apply to your annual deductible, but it will of course be out of network and you will have to pay up front.

15. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We rarely get insurance and we travel often. We used to cruise at least once a year, and another intl trip. We have purchased MEDICAL only insurance (with evacuation). There are some annual policies.

We do not buy cruise insurance or airline insurance. Major rip off. I know many people say they can not afford to pay for a trip that gets cancelled. That is 100% wrong. You have already paid for it, and the cancelled trip will cost you even less now that you are not going. Maybe you can not afford the personal sadness, but you can afford the trip.

Yea, there are stories about how the insurance helped out some people. And millions that got it and never used it.

Again - some just feel better with it. For others, they save another to take more trips.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MawBoi

MawBoi Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m a big believer in catastrophic insurance. Sometimes do do happens and your just out of luck. My incident helped cover some of the cost. My concern is having something major happen. Medical evacuations are not cheap and something I do not want to self insure.

• Like Like x 1
  17. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thoroughly research and understand what insurance you already have, and what it covers. For instance, my health insurance includes medical evacuation and care overseas, but many policies do not. Between my auto insurance and credit cards, I am pretty well covered for rental cars. I avoid booking accommodations with a strict cancellation policy. I have also found that airlines, in spite of their stated policies, can sometimes be surprisingly reasonable when you actually speak to someone. So, for the most part I don't even consider travel insurance for domestic travel, but there have been times I have had to eat some costs of a cancelled trip. That is still far, far less thanI would have spent if I had purchased travel insurance on a regular basis.

Overseas travel is a bit different, and I have purchased insurance on a few occasions.

18. MCann

MCann VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have rarely used it, but have used USAA for a couple times when I bought expensive first class tickets 9+ months in advance. I recommend them for anyone who is a member. They customize policies so you can elect what type of cancellation policy you want to go with. When I have used it, it was about 50% of the price of the "travel insurance" companies, and had many fewer exceptions in the fine print.

19. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
  20. Dutch34

Dutch34 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never had prior to August. We were going to Cancun so decided, if something were to happen in Mexico, we wanted to be covered. Wouldn't you know we got sick there (tested negative for Covid there, but once back in States, positive and horrible). So far we've filed a claim for the doctor visit in Mexico to our resort ($500 paid in full from insurance) and we've filed a claim for my emergency ambulance ride right off the airplane to the ER near KC Airport (long story, all ok now). Waiting to hear back on ambulance ride. Trip Assure was website I believe. If you do get insurance, make sure they cover covid related illnesses. Most don't / won't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.