1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any Tips for Tofino, BC?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Sonya, Mar 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My spring trip to Vegas got cancelled and I'm itching for a trip. Dan has been saying he wants to go to Tofino forever, so maybe this is the year.

Anyone have any tips? Accommodations? Places to see? I looked at a couple places I had heard of before, but yikes! $$$$ I'm hoping to keep it under $150US per night if we can. We're looking at early May.

2. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, a beautiful stretch of beaches between and Tofino and Ucluelet. There is range of accommodations, with the Wickannish Inn at the top end. I haven't stayed there for years, so can't really suggest. If you're wanting ocean front views of the crashing waves, they'll be pricier. However, if you're not going to be in the room much, pick a budget one and explore all day. Btw, the 'food trucks' there get good reviews.

Also, the road getting there is quite something .... try to drive it on a clear day!

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.

Cheers, GG

• Like Like x 1
  3. phantomfj

phantomfj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw this groupon, not in Tofino but Ucluelet https://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-water-s-edge-shoreside-suites-7?p=5&utm_source=groupon_getaways_im&utm_medium=email&t_division=las-vegas&user=95113f9cc787e1512cf2d1751f5c092c40cb6b522bfc165cbd9a5d08840154db&date=20170319&uu=39c35120-d355-11e4-82bb-002590980646&CID=US&s=body&c=image&d=getaways_deal&utm_campaign=65339a51-b125-4463-a9ac-8c6964fdbd5c_0_20170319
    Lots of hiking trails that overlook the ocean nearby, there is an aquarium in Ucluelet, there are whale watching boats at Tofino........early May it shouldn't be too nuts/busy............it is a beautiful part of the world! GamblingGolfer is right about the road, be sure to allow lots of time for the trip once you get past Port Alberni.

• Like Like x 1
  4. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is our next trip too. Our son is living in Tofino so we are just waiting for the weather to clear on the Coquihalla highway. Might just bump into you there!

We always stay at the Marina West Motel because it's close to town centre and a reasonable price. They have balcony rooms which would give you a nice view of the boats and water.

Also on the property is Jack's Pub which is a good place for a drink with a view. They sometimes have entertainment there at night and it can get pretty busy. There is also The Diner at Marina West and it is our go to breakfast place. Great view and great food.

Jamie's Rainforest Inn was another place that we considered at one time but it's out of town and expensive, as is the Wickaninnish. I've heard they are very nice though. I guess it depends if you are going for the solitude of the waves or a 'walk about' trip.

For restaurants, I can vouch for The Schooner (steak and seafood) and Shelter restaurant (burgers etc.). If you're a foodie, Wolf in the Fog restaurant has consistently ranked in the top restaurants in Canada but we haven't got there yet because we love The Schooner so much. Let me know if you go!

There are lots of little sandwich shops that are good too. We often buy lunch at the deli in the Co-op grocery store (they have a great variety of foods) and take it back to our room or on a nice day we find a picnic table.

For fun, we go almost every day to Chesterman Beach so our dog can run. There are always surfers there to watch and beach stuff to check out. We've also hiked the Rainforest Trail (loop A) and really enjoyed it. We also did the Bog Trail . It's like an alien world after the rainforest! (https://www.tofinohiking.com/hikes/bog-trail/)

There are lots of tours available for wildlife viewing and whale watching. We did the whale watching tour a couple years ago in March and saw many orcas jumping. It was spectacular! Not sure if it's too late in the season for that in May but I highly recommend it if whales are active in the area. The Marina West Motel sells tickets at their wharf and they give you a good discount if you are staying there.

And finally, if you enjoy art, the art gallery in town is well worth a walk through.

Now I can hardly wait myself! Bring on Spring!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. gambler

gambler VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot to comment that GamblingGolfer and phantom aren't kidding about the road! We plan our trips to avoid a night time, foggy and sometimes misty drive into Tofino.

The road is fine but it's twisty and slow going. And there's no sense rushing. If you haven't slowed down by the time you're in Ucluelet, you're not going to have a good time in Tofino :)

6. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tips. Time for me to start reading up. :)

Our plan is to stay the night in Port Angeles, WA and catch the first ferry to Victoria and drive straight through to Tofino. We've explored a lot on Vancouver Island but never made it all the way up. Dan calls those narrow, winding roads "Sonya roads". I love them!

Looked at Wikininish and Lake Whatever Lodge and they were spendy. Good to know there are other options.

Not sure of we are going to take the dog or not. It almost seems mean not to. She loves the beach almost as much as I do.

Weather in May can be questionable, but it avoids the crowds. Plus Dan is doing a couple other trips (Denver and Germany) and we promised to go to Bend with mom at some point this summer.

I'll keep my eyes open for you @gambler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.