1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any Of Your Own Birthday's/Ages Meant Anything To You ?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe Strummer, Feb 10, 2019.

1. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Turning 50 was my big milestone as that was retirement age for me. Not so fond of all the birthdays since then, though :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am grateful for each birthday that comes and that I am upright and have a few nickels.

One thing that has been constant for the 22 years of my Vegas career: I am in Vegas on my birthday. I like celebrating alone, but not lonely.

3. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well put, Sir.

That 70's Breeze
  4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with Strummer, 29 was a bitch.

Edit: Everyone's birthday was a big deal in my family with home made cake and ice cream, blow out the candles, sing Happy Birthday, the whole nine yards, right up until Dad died in 2000. One of the things I am so happy for, great memories.

29 was a milestone. I won't be a youthful person anymore. Ha, fooled them. I never did grow up.

12 was also rough. My Mom saw me very sad and asked what was wrong. I said I'm not going to be a little boy anymore. Mom put her arm around me and said You will ALWAYS be my little boy.

This past one I turned 70. A cause for reflection. I still drink beer and partake of the noble weed. I will continue to do so for as long as I can.

Las Vegas, Ha, no doubt about that. Of course, these days, I must have the aisle seat.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    That 70's Breeze
    • Like Like x 2
  5. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    16th - Mom and I were at the Highway Patrol station about fifteen minutes before it opened (today I get my license, consider yourselves warned!).
    18th - spent lobbing grenades on the range at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. "Happy birthday to you...GRENADE!, Happy birthday to you...GRENADE!, happy birthday private Robinson, COMMENCE FIRING, happy birth day to you....FALL IN!"
    40th - Hey...it's the year 2000. What ever happened to those flying cars we were s'posed to be using?

• Like Like x 3
  6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say at age 30. I had a wife and 2 infant girls and my job of 14 1/2 years was in jeopardy of being downgraded to part time work.

Although being scared of the unknown, with the support of my wife ( 3 months pregnant) I ventured out and tried to find a better job to provide for my family. I already was on the waiting list (after being rejected twice prior) for electrician apprenticeship so I took a Coca cola saleman job.

A year later the apprenticeship accepted me. And the rest is history. It was the defining point of my life, something I will always remember.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  7. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As it is our anniversary, and was for quite some time the combination to my briefcase. So yeah, 9/10 is mui bueno.

In the interest of full disclosure, growing up, birthdays were just another day. We didn't do parties, or cakes, etc. We got a "so another year older" acknowledgement at breakfast and that was about it. The first birthday cake I ever had was when I was twenty-two, from my boss at Tandem Computers. Now, the Mrs.? Ohhh Nooo...her
    birthday is not a day, it is a month. May. Opposite ends of the celebratory spectrum. But she did tone it down once she turned fifty. 's'all I'm sayin'. :whistle:

8. Mudhen

Mudhen High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    40 didn't bother me.
    50 bothered me a little.
    60.......I hated 60. And I mean HATED. I still hate it, and it was nearly 2 years ago. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's better than being dead. But so is 50, or 40, or 30. To me 60 just means old man. But at the same time, I'm thankful I made it this far. I've lost a few friends who didn't. :(

The good news, is that apparently I don't look 61. People are always surprised when I tell them my age. They also seem surprised when I tell them I'm retired. It only took one day of having a job to convince me that I wanted to retire early. Hell, I didn't even want to go back the second day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wesraft

wesraft Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really never had any special birthdays, with one nice exception. I was invited to a private Grand Canyon river trip with friends and saw that my 40th was going to occur in the middle of it. I didn't mention it to anybody on the trip and just enjoyed myself. Well on the very day, we were at Lava Falls, the biggest baddest rapid on the whole trip! I had a fantastic run in my kayak, rescued two flipped rafts and rode on another that would have flipped without my actions. At the Post-Lava camp, we all recounted our memorable day and I let slip that it was my 40th. Everybody scrounged around through our food supplies and they whipped together an impromptu cake, just for me! I won't ever forget that day. None of the rest spark the slightest memory.

10. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Birthday Milestones are more about Genetics and Lifestyle choices.

@ 42 - Out Lived my Paternal Grandfather
    @ 55 - Out Lived my Brother
    @ 60 - Out Lived my Father

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    flyguy summed it up.

There is NOTHING we can do to stop the inevitable expiration of time, so do EVERYTHING possible while on this side to enjoy -- enjoy yourself, enjoy your spouse/SO, enjoy your friends, enjoy your family. I think we all append certain mindsets or particular celebrations to various "milestone" numbers, but the only thing that really matters is when you get to the next one, you're still here. And here is cool.

Enjoy every sandwich.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Big dan

Big dan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me it is when I turned 31. My wife gave birth to my son on my birthday. He is the one in my avatar.

13. bardolator

bardolator Lifelong Low Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, a fishing license got a lot cheaper this year. On the downside, I made my health insurance deductible before the end of January. Enjoy what you can and try to accept the rest.

14. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My 30th I thought about my career and was determined to get some promotions ad from then on I actually did get various steps up. Along the way.
    I did celebrate birthdays that ended in 0 and 5 the last 20 years with some small parties. Other wise my next birthday is next Monday and have no plans yet - doesn't end in 5 or 0.