1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Any GoPro experts?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by da1chifan, Apr 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought myself a GoPro Hero 5 Black before our annual Aruba trip, thinking I was going to make some amazing videos. I made one 20 second video in 2 weeks. LOL

I have seen some pretty epic traveling videos made with GoPros that document from airport at beginning of trip, takeoff, landing, lots of short clips of the trip, etc. I have also read lots of help files and help videos online, but they are way more advanced than I am ready for right now.

If I were wanting to make a video of my trip, would I take short videos here and there, then put them all together in the GoPro software when I got home?

Anyone have any general tips for someone just starting out? I am good with technology, but the minimal buttons on this thing leaves me clueless.

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would suspect there are some GOPRO forums online out there. And, within those are some gopro for beginner help sections.

3. BostonJP

BostonJP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a video producer and have a little experience with GoPros. But yes - just record what you want and then stitch your video together when you get home. You may want to review the settings before your trip - for example if you want to cram as much footgae as possible onto one memory card, shoot at a lower resolution (if you don't have a 4K TV you can drop the default resolution to 1080p and won't notice any difference).

Also if you have a Mac, iMovie is a great program for editing your footage together and it's free.

• Like Like x 1
  4. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will do that, thanks. I am mainly going to use the videos for YouTube (eventually). I thought it would be a good way to make a trip report without really having to write one or do a live one. LOL

5. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea a huge key to the whole thing is the post video production. Thats the secret to the "good" youtube videos you see. There might be a local video production class you could take (its not camera/brand specific). Otherwise, read up on the subject.

6. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a GoPro and am a computer programmer and found their software not very intuitive if you want to do much with your raw footage. But I haven't spent much time with it. I will say that GoPro's take amazing video.

7. in4mation808

in4mation808 VMB VIP Expert Picture Taker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been wanting to get a GoPro. Will probably do more research and get one for an upcoming trip. My only concern is the battery life. And if I'll need more than one battery.

8. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The idea sounds good. But in reality - folks are often too busy enjoying their trip to actually record. And, it does become a pain to pull out the camera constantly.

And, once you do your first editing session, you will come to realize it takes lots of time. Lots of it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The great thing about the GoPro is there are a lot of different mounts. I've done ziplines and attached it to my helmet. I have a chest mount. Handlebar mount and a couple of others. It attaches/detaches in a couple of seconds.

The downside to the old camcorders was that you were missing actually seeing anything because you had to be looking through the eye piece. Now you're hands free and you can enjoy the view while recording in beautiful HD.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.