1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Another tippin' question...

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by The Toddster, Feb 23, 2020.

1. The Toddster

The Toddster Don't be an egg-suckin' dawg!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After reading the thread about tipping movers, laborers, etc., what about occupations where people have expected -if not outright asked for- a tip when there is no reason to tip them? Tip-hustling, I guess it is.

We recently went to one of those self-serve frozen yogurt places. You know the kind, it's like a buffet. You get your dish/cone, fill it full of ice cream, then go put toppings on it, then you weigh it and pay based on the weight of the contents. We went to one and the cashier, as we were weighing, said "I hope you guys enjoy your fro-yo" and, as he placed his hand on the tip jar, "And tips are appreciated!"

He didn't do anything but hit the button on the tablet that calculated how much we were to pay!! Hell, if there was a way to make sure people knew how to ring up their own bill, there was no need for him at all.

2. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just don't tip if you don't feel it's warranted. Not a requirement.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. topcard

topcard Celebrating 40 Years of Vegas Trips in 2020!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's a burger place I got to from time to time (Grump's) and you pay when you order... but they actually have girls that bring your food out to you & will get you re-fills on your soft drink.
    Since I'd rather not tip after I've already paid, I either put a buck+change in the tip jar at the register, or I add a tip to the credit card.
    Somebody coming there for the first time would think the same as the OP, seeing that tip jar...
    "What on earth did he/she do to deserve a tip? Ring up my order & take my money?"

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Funding underpaid clerk kids. You or Uncle.

5. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For something like that and I'm paying cash, I'll usually leave a buck or two depending on the amount. If I'm using a card, which is the case 90% of the time, I don't. I have kids, so I seldom have cash in my wallet. I'm likely to share a few out of the change, but I'm too lazy to fill out the card receipt for $1 or $2. Stupid rationale I know.

Somebody who works there keeps the machines full and clean and the place looking good, so even though the individual I'm in contact may have visibly done little to "serve" me, I figure the tips get split and leave a little bit. I don't use the 15-20% method on something like that.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. journaljim

journaljim Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I'm with @smartone on this. Yes, the kid only rang up the OP at the moment, but someone had to set up the toppings, fill the machines etc. That being said, if the topping station was a mess with half-empty or empty areas and the fro-yo machines were covered in melted goop, definitely not tipping and probably not going back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are a lot of fast food take out places that has that tip jar. Most times we pay with a CC so nothing goes in that jar.

Sometimes we pay with cash and I usually put whatever loose change from the transaction into the jar. I don't like to carry loose change.

As far as if the tip jar is warranted, I guess it's up to the individual. @smartone brought up a good point that I never thought of, however I do hope the tips are split between everyone, including those who re-fill, clean up, and maintain the establishment. To me the counter people don't do much, aside from calling you when the order is ready and then take your money.

8. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tip jar in those situations where staff are keeping stuff clean, restocking, making contact with you, stuff like that, and they're doing a good job, yeah I have no trouble tipping.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ken2v

ken2v Wish I was in Bend

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do what you need to do.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  10. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I have cash and I see a tip jar, I leave a few bucks.

My employees that worked the register, also prepped, washed dishes, cleaned the soda machine, swept, mopped, all the ancillary stuff that goes with day to day restaurant hell.

Reno to Las Vegas...and other places in between..
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SAll11

SAll11 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to do catering. There is nothing worse then bringing a 150 person order and not getting a tip. Like if you ordered pizza you would tip the delivery driver when you get catering you tip the driver as well.

BTW medical sales reps are the cheapest tippers in my experience.

Since I was in the service industry I almost always over tip good service but I’m not afraid to leave a bad tip for terrible service. There are a lot of people within the industry who expect the tip and don’t feel like they have to earn it.

• Like Like x 1