1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slots Another one bites the dust - Silver Strikes

Discussion in 'Slots' started by DaiLun, Sep 29, 2021.

1. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The El Cortez has "retired" their Silver Strike machine. It doesn't look like it will be coming back . . ever.

A Silver Striker shared with me information on why Silver Strike machines cannot be "repaired" with new parts.

There is a patented part that drives the carousel. The part that the patent holder won’t give up the rights to is a gear mechanism that drives the Strike carousel. The strike carousel is VERY heavy, (I will make a calculation of the weight someday) and think of the wear to rotate that column around at “high” speed.

The only place that they can get that part is out of old machines.

The newer machine only steps one column at a time once a strike has been hit. I played the newer machine at Coushatta in Kinder, LA.

Just a little tidbit of Silver Strike lore.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  2. idtwins

idtwins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curious...does that mean an Elco Silver Strike clear cap is going to be worth only sentimental value now?

3. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was just looking at all the Silver Strike machines at 4Q, and did not see any colored caps in any of the carousels.
    Know anything about what's up with that?
    The front machine was out of order, also.

4. JulianC

JulianC Amateur

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also observed the same when I was downtown on Monday afternoon. I didn't even bother playing for strikes because of only commons being in the machines.

@DaiLun will keep me honest about this, but I believe that the lack of specialty caps largely involves lower circulation of play from Silver Strikers. With fewer fervent players, there is less demand to get new specialty caps made -- hence the $40 machine continuing to be out of order.

El Cortez will eventually announce a last date of redemption for their strikes. After that, they will be worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, for me, I won't play them unless there are red/blue/yellow caps in the machines because those "higher value" strikes offset that amount of $$$ that it takes to get strikes in general. However, there are some "casual" players who want one just as a souvenir.

To @JulianC 's comment about "less fervent players", the Silver Strike community is "growing". At the last Silver Strike tournament I saw a lot of new and "younger" members. They definitely dropped the median age of the membership.

The yellow cap machine is a "problem". with the red/blue/yellow strikes set to a 500 limit (400 for the yellow caps) , they will need to come up with a new "house" strike for the yellow cap machine. In the past, it was Spirit of the Wolf, whose mintage exceeded 400. (Mintage: 400+, house coin).

There are also economic issues related to all Silver Strikes. (clad or silver) that are dispensed from the machines with regard to how they are "held" on the books. My Silver Strike friend who told me about the patented part, also explained how these were held on the books and an accounting change that the Gaming Commission made regarding it, but I didn't take good mental notes.

If El Cortez decides to totally eliminate their Silver Strike participation, they will publish a notification of when the redemption will end. I will publish details of that when I get it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I for one am sad to see the # almost down to 0 in Vegas.

7. AyDee

AyDee is getting too old for this

Trips to Las Vegas:
    my impression was they were gettiong rid of a lot of the old strikes turned in during the last event, a lot of old scratched up looking cases.

8. UnicornTX

UnicornTX High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got 3,last week. Sad to see them go,

Daughter’s birthday and ‘tis the season!
  9. buffalo

buffalo Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe they'll be replaced by Bitcoin Strike

• Funny Funny x 1