1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Annoying conversations with Non-Vegas fans

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by PsyDoc, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How about "Why do you fly all the way to Vegas when you can play all of the same games here now?"

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  2. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Them: "you're going to Vegas AGAIN ?!?"

says the people who go to Disney or on a cruise every chance they can get

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Love Love x 1
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:

I might get that a bit. No way could I afford the strip prices on a day to day basis if I lived there.

Give me a good local happy hour with $5 drinks and $5-$8 apps and I am set.

In Vegas - well... who cares?

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  4. andyg99

andyg99 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think most of my friends and acquaintances don't care what I do in my spare time.... those who know me well know that I deserve to enjoy myself even if it's a trip to Vegas every 3-4 months... and of course there are people who will judge a "Vegas Vacation" based on what they think it is but I'm glad I'm at the point of not giving a shit what people who don't know me think....

Vegas Trip #38!!
    Vegas Trip #39!!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Over-Fried Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think the posts on this thread are b.s. This thread after all is about people who are clearly non-Vegas fans so there will be more content about it.

And yes, there are tons of people out there who will be non judgemental when the subject of Vegas vacations comes up. Some are genuinely curious about what else there is to do there besides gamble.

Now in my neck of the woods (Hawaii) we don't have this problem because 9 out of 10 people love to go to Vegas. Primarily to GAMBLE! :woohoo:

The other 1 out of ten are merely saving up to go because the last time they busted out.......:poke::beer:

• Like Like x 3
  6. TheBlackjackKing

TheBlackjackKing Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As soon as any of my friends say "I don't like to gamble" I just walk away

• Like Like x 2
  7. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not duds, just people who have a different idea of fun. The person I was talking about is very religious so when he starts talking about religious stuff, I tune him out like he does when I mention vegas or something he considers a 'sin'. And yes, he has told me multiple times that gambling is a sin.

2nd Solo Trip in 2019
  8. TheBlackjackKing

TheBlackjackKing Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ask him to show you where in the Bible it says gambling is a sin. That's what I do to people at my church :D

• Like Like x 5
  9. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You got that right. Or around here it's going to the same cottage or trailer. Where they have to mow the lawn and other whatnot. Bah! Away from me!

• Love Love x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Friend: I need some advice for our first trip to Vegas and you go all the time. We want to stay at a party hotel.
    Me: well I would choose Planet Ho or Cosmo then. Y’all will have a blast.
    Next day, Friend. We booked Bellagio last night. We think you are wrong and this is a party hotel.
    Me: Good luck with that and the tourist and the baby strollers.

SEMA Show Time!
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is an acquaintance (if that) that goes to Vegas every couple of years stays at the same place downtown. Doesn't leave the property, no shows, no Fremont St entertainment, no activities. Just gambles for 4 days and doesn't use a card to get discounted rooms etc. Fine with me.

Him: Heard you want to Vegas where did you stay?
    Me: The Aria.
    Him: Oh never heard of it, Is that one of those old small places off the strip somewhere?
    Me: Yeah, it's pretty run down but we likes slumming it.

He must have googled it because awhile later he said he wasn't rich enough to stay in places like I do.

First the insult that I stay in rat traps and then the insult that I stay somewhere decent.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They could also get enough of that at The Cosmo.

13. Lovegas95

Lovegas95 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wrote this from a similar thread I started years ago...

Not long ago, at work, a client comes in wearing a Vegas t-shirt. :nworthy: Naturally, as is normally the case, a conversation about Las Vegas breaks out. My colleague says Vegas is a place everyone should once. In my head I'm thinking...ONCE? The client says he's been twice. Immediately I feel redeemed as a Vegas degenerate. :thumbsup: Whew! He thinks like me I say silently under my breath. Then the client says "twice is more than enough". Well! Twice? :Þ

At work as I begin this thread I've learned, and come to appreciate and accept, that what we, as VMBers have is very special. Yes, there are many places to travel to and enjoy, and I do. But there's no place like Las Vegas .
    We attach pet names like Mecca, Lost Wages Sin City and others. We celebrate one another's wins and commiserate together when we lose! We attempt to connect with one another while there through posts, PMs and seek to notice green wrist bands. Are we complete strangers? I don't think so. Whether our Vegas love is golf or gambling, shows or shopping, concerts or Cirque du Soleil, we all share a common bond. It's a Vegas thing and some just don't understand.

I'm okay when friends and family say Vegas? Again? In some I sense a tinge of jealousy. In others curiosity even amazement, but never identification. I only get that here, on this board.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not what I was saying. A lot of people don't know or experience what's right in their town.

15. Geogran

Geogran gamblin grandma

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those cow-workers of yours don’t seem to be in a Vegas mooooood...

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Mr. Politics

Mr. Politics Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NVF: Where did you go?
    Me: Vegas, Baby, Vegas.
    NVF: How can you afford that?
    Me: Actually, if you are smart about it, Vegas is the best places to stretch your dollar.
    NVF: Yeah but no one is every actually smart about it.
    Me: [Eye-roll]

17. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I actually got to the point last year when I went on my early year trip that I didn't even book it until 2 weeks out. That way I didn't have to discuss it and I could honestly say I had nothing planned. Luckily my bff likes Vegas as much as I do so I have someone that understands. She knew I was going but she was the only one from work that did.

I have another co-worker/friend who keeps on 'must be nice, I never get to go on vacation'. 'must be nice to have money'. etc. etc. etc. Well I skipped doing two huge house remodels that you did and a few other things along the way also.

18. VivaSladeVegas

VivaSladeVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me: I'm headed to Las Vegas that week, so I won't be available.
    Them: Again? Weren't you just in Las Vegas?
    Me: Yes.
    Them: I can't imagine. I guess I value my money too much to ever go to Las Vegas.
    Me: Fuck you.
    Them: You're willing to give up coming to our two year old's birthday party to go lose money in Las Vegas?
    Me: I actually booked the room after finding out that the party was going to happen.
    Them: Huh?
    Me: I hate you and your ugly kid. I'm going to use the money I would have spent on a present to play video poker at a bar for an hour while drinking Bloody Marys.
    Them: How does that work?
    Me: You wouldn't understand. You don't know the real value of money.

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  19. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight King of no media

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You must like gambling

20. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That "Must Be Nice!" thing can be awkward. Sometimes you can't tell if they are in jest, half in jest, being serious, or being catty! :(

I've found that it's often (but not always) those who are younger, have kids in school, do not have much disposable income, etc., who say this.

My response is often along the line of that when you get older and have an empty nest, you will begin to accumulate a$$ets faster than you dispose of them, and you will accrue vacation days faster than you can use them and such. I emphasize that it's something to look forward to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.