1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

and this is how the Car Rental agencies get you... $700.00 for a flat tire

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by DaiLun, Mar 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkl37

mkl37 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like it that its primary. But I don't think AMEX will cover the cost of a flat tire event unless it was due to being in an accident.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always use AMEX also. In Wisconsin it's $24.95 for the rental period. Luckily I've never had to use it. I'm curious about the outcome of this.

My daughter & her boyfriend flew into Vegas & drove to 4 national parks. Tney ended up with a flat tire & did not have time to get it repaired before needing to get back for the flight. No follow-up bill at all from the rental company. Now I'm curious as to where they rented from.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. vegasvstr

vegasvstr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Swerved to miss an object in road and hit a curb?
    Curious to see how it turns out, good luck.

4. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    American Express states:

"Coverage is primary for theft and damage to a Rental Vehicle. If your rental vehicle is damaged, you can file that claim with us first as your primary provider."

We'll find out . . . . I will post the result.

Belated birthday trip!!
    Silver Strike tournament
  5. TJC

TJC High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Belated birthday trip!!
    Silver Strike tournament
  7. skybank

skybank Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if you called AAA to change the tire, if that would of changed how Budget handled it?
    I've had Amex for over 30 years and they always seem to air on the side of card holder, hopefully they will for you this time.

On a side note with Budget LV, last September my rental won't start. I called them and the wait was over 2 hours and they suggest I call AAA which I did and AAA showed up
    in about 20 minutes and got the car started with in minutes. AAA has been money well spent for me for these type of issues!

8. Mr. Elite

Mr. Elite Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with all above that you want your credit card issuer's benefit to state that it is primary. I have both the American Express Business Platinum and the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and the Amex Business Platinum is secondary unless you pay per rental for primary. The Chase Sapphire Reserve is primary coverage with no additional cost for each rental. Thus I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve for all car rentals.

Mr. Elite

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. zignerlv

zignerlv VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I never would have expected a flat tire to be considered "damage", just like if the water pump failed while driving.

10. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, hindsite is golden and 20/20.

It looks like in the future, I will need to pay to take the tire to a tire shop, patch it if possible, and put it back on the car. I'm sure it will be less than $700 for all of that.

Again, I'm waiting for American Express to comment. I got a snail mail from Budget today (notified by USPS), let's see what it says.

Belated birthday trip!!
    Silver Strike tournament
  11. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hit a pothole on a residential street in Revere MA (outside of Boston) 10 or 15 years ago. The front tire went flat almost immediately. Called AAA to change it for me to the little spare. I think I rented it from the Newark NJ airport so I wasn't going to drive it all the way back there on the tiny spare. I wound up getting a new tire at Costco for maybe $75 total. I said nothing when I returned it and the rental company never said anything.
    Last year I rented a car from Enterprise at BWI and drove it up to Philly. By the time I got to Delaware I saw this crack creeping up bigger on the passenger side of the windshield (the bottom of the windshield was about 2 inches below the hood). It stopped at about 6 inches & never got bigger. I assumed it was already there as nothing had happened that would cause a crack. Nothing was said when I returned it at BWI but I got a form letter a month letter saying I owed them $450 for the "damage you caused"..No documentation of anything; no bill; no nothing. I tried calling but hung up after being on hold for over 45 minutes. I emailed and asked for proof of damage and of repair. Nothing. Got another letter telling me I'd be banned from renting from Enterprise, National & Alamo if I didn't pay up. Finally got ahold of someone and they did send me a bill from Safelite Glass that looked like a kid had printed it up. I turned it over to Mastercard Insurance and they paid it, minus the same $50 fee that Dailun mentioned. Eventually got another form letter saying it was all taken care of...what a joke.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Calder

Calder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting idea. I wonder if the shop would do it without notifying the rental company. I'd guess it might be a violation of the rental agreement to have work of any kind done on the car.

13. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since you went through the hassle to swap out the tire yourself you could have just dropped the flat tire off at Discount Tire and they would have fixed it for free and when you went back they would reinstall. Sucks you have to go through this hassle.

Mark

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. AlwaysUpForFun

AlwaysUpForFun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

We did exactly what you are suggesting. We had a rental SUV for a trip through North Arizona and Southern Utah. During the time we were at Zion NP, we had a tire going down. Not wanting to waste time waiting for the rental company to switch out our vehicle, we put the spare on took the tire that was going flat to a local tire center. They fixed the tire that had a puncture from a nail or screw put it back on and stowed the spare all for $25. Only took about an hour of our vacation.

We turned it back into the rental company in LV at end of trip. Didn't say anything. Never heard another word about it. That was with Alamo I believe at least 3 years ago.

Van Morrison and Birthday Trip
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DaiLun

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, live and learn. I'm too old to be stressing about this. I will be contacting AMEX on Monday if I don't hear from them soon. I'll also contact my personal insurance company to see what they'd do.

Belated birthday trip!!
    Silver Strike tournament
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    rented from Enterprise one time many moons ago

on the way back to San Antonio from Del Rio the car lost the top gear and would only shift to 3rd (auto trans) so I got to Uvalde where there is an Enterprise location, but they were closed. I called the 800 number and told them what was up and was hoping that Uvalde being so small back then that they might just send a manager over and swap cars, but they told me I could keep driving it or wait over night to swap.

I drove 90+ miles at about 3,800 to 5,000 RPMs sounding like a small airplane going down the road with the Pontiac 3800 engine (a very good engine)

got to San Antonio and took the car in to swap and the people there looked at me like I was lying or something and the one guy said he would test drive it and came in a bit later and said "yep" no top end gear and they swapped me cars.

sometimes they do not care if you "drive it like a rental"

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. TJC

TJC High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're right, the Buick 231, 3.8L, 3800, whatever iteration and whatever you want to call it, was a hell of an engine. Naturally aspirated was good, supercharged was better, and the turbo version in the Grand National/GNX, was just plain ol' bad ass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Some years ago we rented a car for a week in and out of Vegas. Flew in, picked up the car, had all our camping stuff in a large suitcase, and headed for Zion. The car had a tire pressure indicator system and I noticed shortly after leaving that the "low pressure" light had come on. We were already between Las Vegas and St. George, so I ignored it. We spent the week moving east, ending up camping by the Colorado River outside Moab.

Woke up the last morning, when we were going to drive 450 miles back to Las Vegas, to a flat driver's side front tire. No cell service and soft ground. With much effort I swapped the driver's rear tire to the front and put the donut spare on the back (didn't want that donut on the heaviest, and steering, wheel). Drove into Moab and called AAA. Figured no problem, we've had AAA Turbo Premier Xtreme (or whatever they call it) coverage for years. It was Sunday morning. AAA said "Sunday morning in Moab? You're on your own."

No way was that donut going to make it back to Vegas, but we started back, looking for any tire place that might be open. Hit the interstate, headed west (harrowing, since the speed limit was 75 or 80 and I wouldn't drive over 55), saw a small truck stop at Green River and pulled in. The shop was open. The mechanic was just about to pull a truck in. I drove up, told him I need a flat fixed, and gave him $20 to put me ahead of the truck. Took maybe 45 minutes and we were on the road. Returned the car at the airport, told them about the flat, the low pressure light, and that I'd had it fixed. They said "Sounds like a personal problem" (something to that effect).

Rest of the story is that we then took the WAX back downtown and went to the Golden Nugget to check in for three nights. My wife wouldn't stand in line with me since we hadn't bathed in a week. She thought I looked homeless. But we got a nice room, maybe out of sympathy, and did pretty well over our stay. Happy ending.

• Like Like x 4
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  19. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sure many of us would love to hear how this all shakes out. I have always counted on the extended coverage I receive through a credit card while renting (coupled with my regular car insurance). Thankfully, I have never had to test its effectiveness. Please share what the end result is and what hoops they made you jump through. Best of luck. I hope you walk away with all $700 securely in your bank account.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ritzcarlton89

ritzcarlton89 Tourist

I had 2 experiences I’d like to share since there are people looking for information on what happens if something happens while in a rental (bear with me since I am on my phone):

1) flat tire while in rental. I promptly called rental company as the instructions indicated and the manager specifically told me to just go to any tire shop and get new tire and return car no questions asked. Manager said unless I bought their insurance nothing would cover the flat tire and they would have to charge me their standard fee which was a minimum of $250. So I took it to a used tire shop and replaced the flat for $75 installed. Returned the car no questions asked.

2) I was in a rental due to a car accident when someone rear ended me. The accident was clearly not my fault. I had the responsible party’s insurance, primary credit card insurance and my own insurance.
    - Rental agency made me pay upfront for the damages, estimated at $500 for a very minor rear bumper damage
    - The fine print on the rental agreement indicates YOU are responsible for any damage and are responsible for returning the car in the same condition as you took it. Rental company does not have to wait for some third party to pay them, they will go after you and you will need to get reimbursed. YOU have agreed to this.
    - my insurance company did not want to get involved since they asserted accident was not my fault and would not pay. Also amount was less than my deductible
    - I would have won in court and probably had them pay me for my troubles. However, it was not worth my time and energy for $500 so I paid it upfront
    - I had to file a claim with the responsible party’s insurance so they would either reimburse me or pay the rental agency for the damage so I can get reimbursed directly from the rental agency
    - took about 30 days and I got my money back from the rental agency

This was too much hassle. I don’t have time to deal with this kind of bs. I now consider just either buying the LDW insurance or not renting especially on vacation. They can kiss my you know what.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.