1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Amex cardholders, enlighten me!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Slidey1, Jan 26, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slidey1

Slidey1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Beginning of the month I got into the Amex ecosystem via Platinum and got my 125k signup miles already for the bonus. Any tips and tricks? Best mileage programs to exchange? Hit me with it. Thanks!

2. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sure, there are airlines you can transfer to, but it all depends on where you fly.

Make sure you take advantage of picking an airline to get credit each year for smaller expenses. (more detail at flyertalk.com)

We always use the lounges when we travel. Decent free food and free drinks - and no masks in lounge.

Also, you can get certain things like NY Times, Peakcock and Walmart shopping membership credits.

All of this is on their website.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Where do you want to go and what do you want to do is the big question, yeah

Google is your friend on this one - it'll tell you about things like converting to Avios for direct domestic travel, transfers to LifeMiles (which books pretty reasonably into a lot of other airlines), use Virgin for Delta, Etihad for AA, etc. Just don't cash them out for 0.6-0.7 cents

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. petevegas

petevegas Stick with me baby, I'm the fella you came in with

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had Amex Platinum for several years - i need to look up the Virgin for Delta - i have need transferring directly to Delta from Amex
    I also have the gold card for everyday spending - 4x points on dining and supermarkets -
    don't cash them out for sure and dont use them on Amazon ...one caveat ....every once in awhile there will be a "use your amex points and get 25% off select items" - you can use $1.00 worth of points to get the discount
    $200 Fine Hotels and resorts reimbursement ----- if you dont have comps several hotels in Las vegas are part of the FHR realm
    Love the Centurion Lounge as my home airport JFK has a new one
    Also gets you into Delta SkyClub if flying Delta

• Like Like x 1
  5. Brandt

Brandt VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't need to transfer to airline points. You can book flights using your points on AMex travel. 125K points is worth $1,250 in dollars to book with.

• Like Like x 1
  6. petevegas

petevegas Stick with me baby, I'm the fella you came in with

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 for 1 on Delta so worth the same and easier to book/cancel direct with airline in my experience

• Like Like x 1
  7. maggie

maggie Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are tons of Facebook groups and websites out there who are totally devoted to maximizing credit card points! I recommend The Points Guy and 10X Travel Insiders to start. Lots of discussions about airline alliances and how to book for most value.

If it is a personal card, you have a $50 Saks credit twice a year; on the Business version, you have $200, I think. Be sure to visit the benefits page online and sign up for any of the perks that might require it, (like the annual airline credit) along with the offers page. Enjoy Centurion!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this is usually worse than you can do by transferring to a partner, as lots of airline points are worth >1 cent, in particular when used in sweet spots like international business class on saver fares

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brandt

Brandt VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    not sure on international fares, but if you are elite I would never do this for domestic travel. I can get upgraded in paid fares, which is what happens with an Amex travel purchase. You can’t with using an award booking.

also, most airlines have devalued points so heavily I would be shocked if you can get more travel out of points compared to cash.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Slidey1

Slidey1 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Appreciate all the responses so far!

11. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That is true for elite although historically you'd still have done way better to cash them out to a Schwab account at 1.25 cents a point and then buy airline tickets at 5x amex points with that cash. Even now that's still available at 1.1 cents/point. The exception to this would be if you're using the business platinum 35% rebate on points bookings, which gets the value up to 1.54 cents a point

You can find lots of international points uses that are well over 1 cent a point, from stuff like coach on Aer Lingus to booking $2-4k Delta biz class flights for 60,000 points on Virgin, sending to Iberia to book their biz class for under 50k points each way, etc. You have to work the sweet spots, but it's a little better than normal right now due to the decline in global travel. The sweet spots don't come from transferring to US based airlines with the exception of American (for now) which still has some award charts like 57,500 for biz saver fares one way from the US to Europe

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
  12. Beebs17

Beebs17 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are so many tricks to use with Amex platinum, it is one of the best cards out there for travel and travel spend. A few of the highlights...

- Access to Delta SkyClub lounges (just the card holder) and Amex Centurion lounges (like at LAS, generally for you and a guest, at least this year before they change it)
    - $200 uber credit per year paid as $15 per month and $35 in December. Can be used for rides or Uber Eats food delivery
    - Free Walmart+ membership. Yes, they will cover the monthly fee. In a way, this is better than prime, items are often cheaper, shipping is excellent, and more grocery items
    - Free TSA Precheck/Global Entry
    - Free Clear Membership
    - $20 a month for subscription services, believe it's Sirius, Peacock, NY Times, Audible
    - $50 at Saks off any purchase, twice per year (first half and second half)
    - Amex offers - use the app and look at the offers, there are often great deals there, for example, Delta had a $125 off of $300 recently. Early in 2021, they had $50 off $50 at bestbuy and home depot x 2, so essentially free items
    - Preferred elite status at hotels/rental cars. I think it's still Hilton, Marriott, Avis, National and a few others, you often get gold status or the equivalent

There are many others, you just have to do your research to find out the best that work for you.

In terms of using points, Delta is the standard airline and is almost always 1:1. But, if you find the right flights, that can often give you about 2c per point, which is about the best you will get. There are often promotions with transferring to Saks gift cards and you can get about 2c with those as well. Otherwise, most of the time the points are worth about 1c, which is the value that you will get.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Brandt

Brandt VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    where do you see the Schwab transfer? I don’t see that as an option .

14. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the current fee, unless you really value the credits, value a particular lounge access benefit, or spend a ton on flights for 5x MR, it's a pretty weak card with terrible point earnings. There is zero reason to actually spend on the card outside of flights. This card also desperately needs a simpler travel benefit like the one offered by Chase and Capital One. It's a pain to have to manage monthly Uber credits, the United Travel Bank or whatever you do with the $200 flight credit, the in person saks GC buying, the $200 FHR credit, etc.

16. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    True... but sometimes the same seat costs more at AMEX than direct with DL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.