1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

American vs Delta...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Gino, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next trip is a ways away (October 2020) but I'll be buying the airline tickets this week.

Our trip is Tampa to Reno - get a car.

Spend a few days in Reno, Tahoe, Tonapah, and eventually Las Vegas.

Las Vegas back to Tampa..

Delta First Class - $2600

American First Class - $2900

Last few American flights have been weird and lackluster as far as service was concerned. One flight up to AC I was hit on buy an overly aggressive male flight attendant - which for a hetero dude next to his wife is super creepy - unprofessional and awkward.

Than a rude, arrogant, and condescending flight attendant on the way back home.

The planes also look beat up and worn..

I ask you VMB, what are your thoughts and experiences with Delta? I haven't flown them since the early 2000's...

Thanks...

Reno to Las Vegas...and other places in between..
  2. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me I tend to look for which plane I will be on and which seat configuration they are using for that route. Not all first class seats are equal.
    As for the flight attendants, I feel that is just a crap shoot of who you get and what kind of day they are having.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    flown both, though I was a 100+ trips a year with Delta for many years... but that is in the past... still lifetime silver

Have done coach and first with both of them. Only time we do first is with points.. actually 90% of our flying is with points.

Personally, I would probably lean towards whichever one has the best schedule.

Just realized you were talking about next October. Quite a ways into the future.

$2,600 per ticket seems very high.

I just did some quick google flights checking at it looks like $400-$500 each way. ???

You could probably pick up a credit card and get some or most of your trip for free.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gino

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This upcoming October...Weird as it sounds...Delta has the best schedule.

Keep in mind I'm flying into Reno, not LV..

I don't travel enough to use points of any significance..

My credit is pretty good, and I hear the Delta Amex(?) is pretty good.

$2600 and $2900 are for both wife and I round/multi city fares.

Thanks,

5. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea, I looked at Reno going and Vegas return. We almost never book RT tickets and do separate one ways. Makes changes much easier. Or fly one airline one way, and another the other way.
    90% of our points come from sign up bonus. Spending is 8% and actual flying is 2%... maybe less.
    Those prices for 2 people are not too bad, but they do run sales from time to time.

By the way, though I am not a Spirit or Frontier fan - they do have NONSTOPS from Vegas to TPA. Avoiding a connection does have value. I think one or both have a semi-first class if that is important to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ChilliPalmer

ChilliPalmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only time I personally choose American over Delta (out of South Florida) is when American has a superior plane for first class or when the schedule/non stop is significantly better.

Some routes I fly, including Vegas seasonally, American will fly a 767 or similar which has lie flat first class seats. In this case, I always choose AA. Otherwise prefer the service and touches of Delta. I like Deltas food better. I also trust them to make things right if something goes wrong. They have many times with me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't remember any recent bad experience on Delta. They have frequent nonstops from OMA to both LGA and ATL (among others) and lately the planes seem to be newer and usually on time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WichitaMuskie

WichitaMuskie High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I find the major airlines to be essentially fungible.

March Gladness
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't understand these prices you are seeing at all, I see one ways galore from TPA to RNO for just over $400 in first class, and similar for flights home from LAS to TPA. You should be able to buy these two legs for under $900 pp. Have you looked at google flights to see what times/travel days would be beneficial? It feels to me like you can do a lot better than you're seeing so far.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  10. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In my opinion, Frontier semi first class is really main cabin extra/Comfort Plus like in terms of legroom and seat comfort, not anything like domestic first.

11. GeorgeJ.

GeorgeJ. High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are your prices quoted for 2 seats? Or per person?

First Class to Vegas is usually around $1000 per person from Jacksonville.

I typically fly American to Vegas but I would go with Delta if it were less expensive...The Delta First Class experience to Vegas is usually superior to American..

12. MikeOPensacola

MikeOPensacola VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m a big fan of Delta @Gino. Flying out of Pensacola I can opt for Southwest, AA, United & Delta. No non-stop options though. I’ve been flying Delta first class for the past few years and like it. My first-class round trip fares to Vegas have been in the $1100 neighborhood. I also have their Gold Amex card and use the points towards my air fare. I really like Delta’s customer service. The only negative is that I think they could do a helluva lot better in regards to their meals in first class. Other than that it’s all good.

:peace: :beer:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Birthday Week in Vegas
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If price was equal, personal first class preference for me in the past was as follows due to service:

1. Delta
    2. American
    3. United

If you factored in the plane types, American quickly drops to last place quickly, but they have been upgrading jets in the past few years, so that could change.

It boils down to me; who has a one way first class ticket for around $400-450. More than that, I just splurge on an exit row seat.

To make that even better with American now, they offer Main Cabin Extra seats that offer you a better seat (like exit row) but also include free booze for not much more than a preferred seat, but much less than a first class ticket.

• Like Like x 1
  14. stlguy197239

stlguy197239 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

1. Delta
    2. American
    3. Walk
    4. Crawl
    5. Built a plane myself
    9999. United.

Let's try this Thanksgiving thing again
    • Funny Funny x 7
  15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say that with the three biggies, American, Delta, Untied, this is close to true. If you took off and fell asleep in one of them, woke up and landed with another, you could not tell the difference.

These three have frequent flights and usually (try to) accommodate you if there are issues.

I consider Allegiant, Frontier, Spirit to be similar as well, but in a much lower class. They don't have that many flights, and if there are issues, you're SOL! They seldom have frequent flights to anywhere and often have one per day or every other day.

Southwest, I consider to be in a league of their own, which is a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it and what your priorities are.

They recently, at least in our market, made a big too-doo about retiring those old junker 2-3 across jets, which I admit looked and felt old.

• Like Like x 2
  16. cjcjcj

cjcjcj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    separate the tickets it will come out cheaper.

for thay money id fly first to JFK then take Mint on Jetblue...Lol it'll probably come out cheaper!!

Trying out the Wynn First Time Ever!
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not a bad idea. Throw in a day in NYC to top it off.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Gino

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife would love a day in NYC - but we did 2 AC trips this year (3 for me ) so, its back to the desert!

19. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My new neighbors are a flight attendant and pilot (Virgin and Spirit). They both say that Delta is the one airline pilots and FAs aspire to fly in.
    I also have the same attitude towards Delta and believe they're a notch from the rest domestically.

20. mikel123

mikel123 Not A Lawyer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As long as you're not an Asian doctor you'll be fine.

[​IMG]

The "Big 3" US airlines seem to be in a race to the bottom. When one makes a shitty change, they all follow suit. My preferred order for first class would be:

1. Delta
    2. United
    3. American