1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Allegiant plans OMA-LAS service ...

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by dmr, Jun 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The local talking heads, on tonight's news, announced that Allegiant will be adding Omaha to Las Vegas (and to Phoenix) service beginning in October.

Allegiant currently serves OMA, but does not offer service to LAS.

Allegiant previously offered flights from nearby LNK to LAS, but discontinued the service, citing competition from Southwest in OMA as the reason.

Personally, I'm hoping that this move will drive prices down on the other carriers.

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It hasn't in Knoxville. Actually, fares have jumped 10-20% more making it almost double to fly a regular carrier (with a connection) versus Allegiant. I get the impression that the legacy carriers don't look at Allegiant as serious competition with their twice a week flights to Vegas.

3. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm wondering if Southwest (and other carriers) will lower their fares to LAS on the days that Allegiant flies.

If they do things the same way they did when they flew LNK-LAS, they did not keep any planes overnight. It was all out-and-back from LAS. If you flew them, you departed to LAS in the afternoon and your return flight was always very early in the morning. This, in and of itself, makes the service less valuable, to me anyway. I'm finding that as I get older I'm more willing to pay for convenience.

4. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They didn't leave Lincoln due to SWA competition--it was entirely how much LNK wanted to charge them. This is clear since they have now entered the OMA market.
    Being in Lincoln, miss having Allegiant here. SWA is our airline of choice (points, companion fare) BUT we fly Allegiant when price is right.
    Just flew Allegiant direct from OMA-MCO for $300 pp with a suitcase. Other airlines were $500-600 pp, and typically not direct.
    DH is heading to Vegas in Nov. SWA is $450-500--fine if we use companion pass (it is my comp. pass) but just found Allegiant out of GI for $235 for 1. He can do a backpack for 3 nights so doesn't even need a bag. Now...that means I don't get to go....hmmmm....

5. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The version of the story I heard was that Allegiant did a press release stating competition from SW in OMA and then went to the LNK Powers That Be for a better deal in order to stay, after which LNK said BIBI MOFO or something like that. :)

This was relayed to me by our in-house TAs. The reputation Allegiant has from a customer standpoint is apparently similar throughout the industry.

What I thought was kinda fishy about the whole thing is that Allegiant never had any permanent gates or staff or anything. They outsourced to United.

When you checked in, the agent, who sometimes made an attempt to remove/cover Untied logos, checked you in on a laptop balanced on the Untied check-in desk. It looked to me like they made it so they could pull out very quickly, which they did.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  6. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh, yeah, they get some negative press.
    Tough to not book occasionally--$3K to get my family of 5 of to Orlando was too steep; we were gonna drive 23 hours--UGH. But Allegiant for $1500 for the 5 of us--saved us a big chunk of change over other carriers.
    We have been lucky (knock on wood) & have had nothing more than a bit of delay from Allegiant out of GI (and this once out of OMA).
    I have had much worse issues with other airlines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.