1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Allegiant Air on 60 minutes

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by I4Favre, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The responses from that FAA guy were very disturbing to me. Definitely sounded like he didn't care.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Michael2780

Michael2780 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I fly Allegiant because it is the only airline that flys to Vegas from my home city. Every time I fly I get nervous and think is this the next flight to crash and make the news.

Last time I flew an earlier flight during take off had to turn around and make an emergency landing. One of the engines caught on fire. On the way to the air port I saw police, ambulance, and fire trucks along the highway for some strange reason. They were expecting it to crash and were prepared. (Last June in Springfield MO).

The entire flight I was in the midst of a panic attack. We had to fly higher than normal to bypass a storm and the temperature dropped to near freezing. We hit bad turbulence. Overall it was a stressful flight.

I already have purchased my next flight on Allegiant but I think it will be the last time I fly on it. I had thought they were the only airline that flew to Vegas near me but after checking around I found out that American flies out of my hometown also. It will cost me about double and I will have a stop over but it will be safer. I also will be able to fly everyday of the week compared to only twice a week.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  3. I4Favre

I4Favre Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Allegiant stock down 10% today.

4. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ok I'll bite. Why would the temperature drop to near freezing? Huh??

It can’t be a rodeo without the bull
    This here table isn’t a 5$ table; Pilgrim ~~
  5. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    No coal for the pot-belly stoves.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 4
  6. Michael2780

Michael2780 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not sure at all about planes so I have no clue why it happened. It just got really cold and I everyone was shivering. Didn't have a temperature so near freezing may have been a little exaggerated but I know it was cold. I have flown more than a few times and this was the first time the temp ever dropped like that in my experience.

7. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A bit more from the 60 mins piece:

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It went down 3%, the most it was ever down intraday was about 6%, there was a money article mentioning that the fallout from the 60 min show was very modest.

9. vegasmacker

vegasmacker Canadian Ambassador for Sully's Bar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s down about 11% if you count the 8% drop Friday ahead of the 60 minutes piece.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Flying too high for their old ass cabin heater to keep up would be my guess. I hate when they have the heater on too high and it's near 80 in the cabin the entire flight. :grrr:

11. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nice job taking two different parts of a statement and making it look like something totally different was said.

The first point was about a comment referring to "country bumpkins" cheering when a flight takeoff; I've seen it from lots of different groups flying from lots of places.

The second part was that flying has become just like riding a Greyhound with wings. It was more fun when it was more of an experience than an every day thing and there was a lot less stress. Now everyone is in a hurry, the airlines have tightened seating so that no one has much room, and it is just not as fun. It does not have a damn thing to do with net worth--when I traveled to Japan we were poor...I just didn't realize it until years later!

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I stand corrected @ronc, I apologize. It wasn’t my intention to twist your words. I replied as I understood the comment, but appreciate the clarification.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A-this story is going to spread like a rash as whistle-blowers get bolder with more media attention and some snob fave airlines are going to be affected
    B-Every American should be contacting their elected representatives and demand that the FAA fulfill their mandate. Lobbyists have entirely too much power. Take it back.
    C-google up "the Pinto memo" and start wondering if somebody made a calculation; proper maintenance schedule vs cost of a total loss (with loss of life), guess what turned out to be cheaper?

14. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    He was quite a stooge, wasn't he?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ken2v

ken2v 200,000 and counting

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hondas aren't Pintos. But Hondas still break. I'd still take a Honda in a crash and over the long haul.

16. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OT but Sun Country does the same thing. Not sure if it is all cost related or just that their flights can easily be scheduled as out and backs to MSP. I'm certain that's the reason why the issue with Mexico occurred this past weekend. (Half that they didn't have a plane in place, half that they didn't have a crew in place.)

17. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When the vikes made the playoffs and had to play in Philly last fall, Sun Country scheduled a flight on 1 days notice(and advertised it as such), If they wanted they could have chartered a plane to bring them back(they would have lost money, but nothing like now). 90% of sun country's business comes or goes through the twin cities, I think this episode has destroyed their chances to thrive.

18. zoobrew

zoobrew High-Roller

Beau Rivage does their charters thru Sun Country. The next time I make a reservation, I am going to ask who is responsible for getting me back home Beau Rivage or Sun Country. I know I will get the song and dance routine and that ultimately I am responsible to get myself home if things go bad.

In regards to the the SWA incident, my main take away is that is always wise to use your seat belt for the whole trip.

19. Vegasmiragegirl

Vegasmiragegirl Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew back home on allegiant from Vegas yesterday. The day before our flight, my friends Mom called to ask what airline we were flying, that she had just seen the bit on 60 minutes. Now, my friend is a bit of a nervous flier anyway, so I was not pleased that her mom was freaking out the night before our flight. Needless to say, I was glad when we landed and I don’t plan on flying them in the future.

20. Vegasman

Vegasman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In the past, hasn't 60 minutes been accused of sensationalism?

So calm down. PLEASE! :soapbox:

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.