1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Alerting Credit Card Company

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by VegasGroove, Apr 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do you? For large purchases, travel to a new destination?

I was thinking of this recently. As mother-of-the-groom, I am hosting the rehearsal dinner and using my SWVisa (Yes! Rapid Rewards points!). The dinner will be a large purchase and I have more than enough credit line to cover, but I am wondering should I call Chase to alert them.

2. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's never a bad idea to alert your CC company if you are making a purchase that is out of your norm. Either a larger than usual amount or in a different state/country.

3. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sign up for whatever notices or alerts that the card company has. I get a text message everytime I purchase something over ten dollars. Also, the company texts me whenever there is an out of the ordinary purchase, to ask if it was me.

4. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My bank will notify/block suspicious (unusual) use of my cards. I always notify them when I travel. It wouldn't hurt to contact the bank before the purchase.

5. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do have my alerts set for purchases over a certain amount, purchases at gas stations, etc.

I will alert customer service of this large purchase next month. I want everything to go smoothly for the rehearsal dinner.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your SWA (Chase) website also has a travel notification form to use when traveling.

• Like Like x 1
  7. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. No sense taking a chance. Most cards offer text alerts which is great. But in this case they will make a notation on your account so if a fraud alert is triggered there won't be a problem. I work in IT in the card industry, the amount of fraud is staggering.

8. lsiunsuex

lsiunsuex Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most banks at least notify you now strait through blocking the transaction - our first time we got denied we were buying show tickets - called the bank right there on the spot, they said it was blocked due to out of state transaction and noted the account so it wouldn't happen again. Has happened every where we travel from Chicago, to LV, to Boston, with Amex to Chase to Citi.

On the subject - Make sure you look at / check the CC reader when you use it. At a restaurant or the front desk, your probably "ok", but any ATM machines, any stores or shops, gas station if you rent a car and get gas - check that there isn't a skimmer on the card reader. Even chipped cards can be skimmed now.

-- Never use an ATM / debit card for CC transactions - try to use a regular CC (not tied to a bank account)
    -- If you have a smart phone, download the app for your CC company(s) and login - you'll get notified quicker about fraudulent transactions vs some ransom customer support rep calling you, you don't recognize the phone # and ignore it
    -- If you can, setup and use Apple Pay or Android Wallet - these systems / apps mask the real CC number and offer much more protection

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=check+credit+card+reader+skimmer

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  9. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should still have the alerts, regardless of whatever else you decide. I got an alert last year about a $199 cell phone insurance plan. I knew it wasn't me, and called immediately. Beats waiting until the next bill to find out you've been had, and then jumping through hoops to fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    on my Chase cards I call and they have an automated choice for entering your travel days.

11. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot easier to do it on their website.

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We charge EVERYTHING. I never alert them domestically or large purchase. I sometimes do it when intl.

As others mentioned, our cards are set up to notify us of any purchase over $25 via email. The few fraud issues we have had over the years were caught that way.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  13. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great information! Thanks, everyone!

14. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always let them know when I'm going on vacation, because I had issues one time in Las Vegas. It hasn't happened again since I started notifying them of my travel dates before I leave.

15. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is free to let them know, it takes seconds, so why not? There are exceptions to every circumstance -- despite the surety of some -- and if you are that exception it can be a bit of a pain when on the road. In my experiences -- and duly noting the exceptions clause above -- road tripping is more of an alarm-ringer than appearing all at once thousands of mile away owing to a flight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reason why not?

I hate calling customer service and getting transferred, explaining over and over, etc. Yea, does not happen all the time, but the pain is forever in my head...LOL!

AND

Since problems with charging are almost never.
    And fraud is so low.
    And even if fraud, I do not pay.
    And I travel with multiple credit cards.

17. ken2v

ken2v Wear a mask

America's most valuable agricultural expanse
    Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, we are well aware you have multiple credit cards. Congrats.

Some people only have one card. Some people don't have a fallback if something gets locked down, even temporarily, when on the road. No one is so busy that he or she is not be able to take a moment for some preventative -- and free and online for us -- peace of mind. And if some folks are too important to do so, then they have little people who do that stuff for them. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Damn, you kids get off my lawn!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Dam you guys are funny.

Mark

20. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For folks with one card, it is a must. Agree with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.