1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airlines cancelling flights

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bernie2, Jun 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea the fact that (it appears) most flights come into and leave from Terminal A is pretty cool. The map onboard our flight on the flight tracker said it takes 20 mins to walk the length of A terminal from A1 to A78. Plus that indoor tram that runs up on the second deck but totally visible is way cool. In the future, I'll always try to book Vegas flights thru DTW unless maybe it's the middle of winter and snow and ice are an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Burnsie

Burnsie VP Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Both travel days were absolute disasters for us last week (6/12 and 6/16). Delayed flights, missed connections, hours spent in lines waiting to talk to Delta ground agents to find other flights, etc.

But at least we finally got to Vegas and back home on the days we were scheduled. Some of the horror stories out there are just dreadful.

Anyone flying this summer should definitely stay on top of the situation as best they can. Don't just roll up to the airport like we did expecting "normal." If you can, book nonstop because the connecting flight situation is FUBAR.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  3. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    leaving nola today and arriving in vegas, looking at both boards, there were a few flights delayed a few minutes but not a single cancelled flight...they also told us the flight would be full and then ended up with 10 open seats....scored a middle seat open between myself and the other person

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. thebeachbum

thebeachbum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Breakfast and flight look to be on schedule

Attached Files:

Gotta win this trip.
    Win more where you play more.
  5. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My flight home today was cancelled and Delta put me on a flight at 11:30 tonight, with a layover, and no first class for the second leg.

I needed a room because I don't want to go degenerate for 10 hours waiting to leave, also don't want to go home.

So I rebooked a flight for tomorrow and instead of first class, I am now on Delta One. Hopefully that isn't cancelled too.

6. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree. On NBC Nightly News last night it was reported that LAS VEGAS IS THE MOST POPULAR DESTINATION IN THE COUNTRY for this coming July 4th weekend.

And yeah, flights are being cancelled THE DAY OF THE FLIGHT by many carriers, and while we happened to have had windy weather recently, the experts last night said the scale of these cancellations was not due to the weather and that they had not seen anything like this, ever. I don't know of any carrier that is immune to the massive labor shortages.

One person interviewed was a travel agent who talked about her experiences rebooking clients or preparing them for not getting their favorite kind of seat on the plane. Some agents were suggesting fall travel instead if there is flexibility, but I get it. We want to hit the skies and be in a happy place NOW lol -- myself included -- wherever that may be.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  7. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    100% agree on non stop if at all possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Brando95

Brando95 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope most of them have to head home and be at work on the 5th!! I get in on the 4th

9th Island stopover on the way to Hawaii
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fingers crossed for you!

And I think of you often because, on a somewhat related note (no checked baggage), guess what course I am taking? The handbag packing master class!!!! I will never forget learning about Her Packing List from you. :) She just posted a picture of a sea of luggage at Heathrow; I guess it was mounds of luggage tied to missed or cancelled flights, hence her continuing to urge us to learn how to pack ultra light!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. NY2LV

NY2LV Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Delta One is awesome with the lay flat seats!!! I'd much rather take that than AA's A321 Oasis/Kodiak recliners or Delta's regular first class.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did ten weeks in Europe with a carry on. It was snowing when I landed and 90 degrees when I left. It is incredibly easy.

• Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I recently flew in Delta lay down seats to/from Europe. I had never laid down on an overseas flight before and it was glorious.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  13. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    first delay, lol...35 minute so far. my brother said its raining back home. too lazy to check the weather between here and there lol

14. 44inarow

44inarow VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Less relevant to us leisure travelers, but a friend of mine had to be in Hawai'i yesterday for work (for literally 18 hours, before you get jealous), and found out Friday that the flight he and his whole team was booked on had been canceled. Last I talked to him, they were scrambling like hell, because it was absolutely non-negotiable that they get there in time. He was just thankful-ish that he had 24 hours notice.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Gaggles

Gaggles VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Those dirt bags at Allegiant cancelled my flight late last week. They STILL have not sent me notification. I only found out from one of our fellow VMBer's (thanks @ref59405 ) who was gonna meet me at the Great Falls airport for a drink as they were on the same flight. Got a full refund but I am quite bothered they did not send me notice. JR and I might have driven from Alberta to Montana before we checked in as it is not unusual for us to wait to check in the night before our flights.

We had to pay an outrageous amount to Westjet to fly out of Calgary for July 1st. Westjet better not cancel on us. We have Chris Rock tickets!!

• Wow! Wow! x 5
  16. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A 6 hour drive from our house to Borgata in AC is sounding better all the time and I hate to drive.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. dbrown

dbrown Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I originally was looking to go to Vegas for last weekend, but the cost of flights are ridiculous right now. Found RT non stop flights to NO for under $200, so booked that instead. Flight from Baltimore was supposed to leave at 9:30 Friday night. We didn't leave until 2:30 Saturday morning. We literally watched as the pilots arrive on another flight and be informed that they were needed to fly us to NO. they discussed it among themselves and finally agreed that they could/would do it. Everyone cheered and clapped. Flight back home was uneventful, as it was a 6AM flight so I guess there was time for things to get messed up. I'll only be making AC trips for the rest of the summer. I'm not going to even entertain trips that require flying until fall, at the earliest. Probably not until Thanksgiving.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a similar thing pre-Covid at Houston. This was at Bush Intercontinental, not Hobby, and the last nonstop out late Sunday night to Omaha.

We were boarded and ready to take off when the pilot came on and said some kind of pressure test in one of the jet engines was failing, but maintenance should have it checked out and we would be on our way within the hour. I was watching out my window and the maintenance guys and the pilots were standing there shaking their heads. They announced that a Untied dispatch supervisor was on the way down to try to straighten things out but they admitted that they may have to cancel.

There were several flights due to depart at that group of gates, and there was a gaggle of pilots and FAs and such around the dispatch guy. I was listening in and I heard the supervisor tell one of the pilots who was supposed to do my flight that he could no longer go to Omaha, maybe something closer, because he would "time out" before they got there, since we were majorly delayed by then.

FINALLY I heard him say something like "Ok, you two get on number {whatever} and that's now flight {whatever} to Omaha." so they got us re-boarded and off maybe 3 or so hours late.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NJbadlands

NJbadlands PH and Cosmo October 11-15/mirage july 11-14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just had my vegas trip canceled due to American Airlines. A vegas “non trip report” (with a making Lemonade out of our lemons pivot to Atlantic City) coming, but the short of it is we actually got ON the plane waited three hours. Then canceled it while we were on the plane due to delays and the crew going over the maximum allowed work time by law. America had no alternative crew and just canceled on us. This was Wednesday night Philly to LAS. They could not get me on another flight until FRIDAY 7pm… not flying five hours each day for a 36 hour trip. What a joke it’s becoming.

• Wow! Wow! x 4
  20. NewOrleansSlimm

Trips to Las Vegas:
    seems my delay was just waiting on the plane to get there from wherever...got about 6 delayed messages but it was few minutes here and there, ended up only being an hour delay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.