1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Airlines cancelling flights

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Bernie2, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Bernie2

Bernie2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    On the news last night I heard airlines were cancelling flights left and right. I called SW and they told me they aren't cancelling flights just the other carriers. So, I asked them with the flights being cancelled won't they get more bookings.and they said yes. That being said I'm guessing that flights will be full and especially to the vacation destinations.

• Like Like x 2
  2. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

SWA is cancelling flights. You may mean that SWA is not cancelling routes. There is a difference.

Many of these routes being cancel are to very small airports. American Airlines is cancelling their route from Toledo Ohio, they only flew to Chicago. Guess what they and Allegiant were the only airlines that fly into Toledo. I am guessing the other 2 cities that America stop flying to Ithaca & Islip NY are also not very big. It could also make flights less full because now a pilot/crew can be moved from a small town and plane to a bigger route and plane.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Dec. 14-20 Six nights at our Happy Place.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm glad I've already booked our direct flights to Vegas in December. My guess is prices will move higher. Just to note, the cost was the same we paid in May. Damn, that seems so long ago.

December 14-20.
  4. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I heard on the news last night that Southwest is expected to cancel approximately 20,000 flights between June 1st and Labor Day

• Wow! Wow! x 3
  5. Mirageluvr

Mirageluvr Dec. 14-20 Six nights at our Happy Place.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    December 14-20.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Basil

Basil VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Calling Ithaca an "airport" is a little optimistic (well, unless they made a whole lot of changes since it's been about 20 years for me). Looks like they have a grand total of 5 commercial flights scheduled for tomorrow.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. HHFan

HHFan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    SW is having the same issues as every other airline. They all trimmed their staff down to the minimum during the worst of Covid at the start of the pandemic. Now demand is close to 2019 levels again, employees continue to go out with Covid during every surge, and they have no excess staff to make up for those absences or other delay issues. Operating on a razors edge, and getting burned left and right.

Unfortunately the pilot shortage is going to take a very long time to fix given the training needs. FAs can be ready to go within a few months so that should be able to get cleared up quickly. Problem is a lot of airlines are likely playing it safe with hiring in fear of the possible recession ahead. Too late to fix anything for peak summer travel, so is it worth the risk of being over staffed if the bottom falls out in Q4?

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. bingoredfish

bingoredfish Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am flying SW tomorrow to NOLA and have my fingers crossed that the flight doesn’t cancel. I need my gambling fix,

9. Bernie2

Bernie2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The SW rep told me that SW was not cancelling flights. I'm not surprised that the information was not fully correct. I'm sure she likes her job.

10. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah she flat-out lied to you. SW 86'd my flight home from Vegas with about an hour's notice - luckily I was able to grab the literal last ticket for the late flight that night. They cancelled my friend's flight just yesterday after he'd shown up to the airport.

I dont think SW is any worse than any of the others but they are certainly not any better. SW's pilot's union even issued a statement that the airline did not do enough to address travel issues and cited the large number of cancellations by the airline.

It seems like things are (slowly) improving, but definitely wise to have a contingency plan in the back of your mind.

After two canceled trips, hoping this one works out. Quick 2-nighter.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Literally, 30 seconds ago, CBSNews just announced canceled flights - of which SW will have 20,000 through summer.

All airlines are canceling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  12. Mr Bulldops

Mr Bulldops High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  13. miniwhale

miniwhale High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Our neighbor is a retired Delta pilot. They offered early retirement packages, expecting maybe 3-400 to take it and 2,000 pilots took it. He said they can't get them trained fast enough.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We flew home from sin city last Friday and I’ve never in 30 years seen the LV airport so packed and chaotic. Our 2 hour layover flight home was delayed 1 hr and 40 mins so my 2 hr layover in Detroit turned into 20 mins. I fully expected to spend the night in Detroit but figured I got on a plane in Vegas which was better than a lot of other people were doing. Lady Luck was with me… I landed in Detroit and our flight to VA was delayed 40 minutes so we made it home. Not sure I’d fly again this summer until this gets ironed out. It’s a mess out there folks.

Edited to add: If you’ve never flown thru Detroit, it’s one of the best laid out and most beautiful airports I’ve ever been in. Who knew?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I asked the waiter about the flounder, he said “our fish is fresh.”

• Like Like x 2
  16. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love dtw!! We fly through there often, esp when I was doing work trips to China.

• Love Love x 1
  17. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    leaving here and heading to Vegas tomorrow...be safe, its supposed to be extremely hot this week. 99-100 but the humidity makes it much worse

18. Packeral

Packeral Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To cancel flights is one thing. I kinda get it but it still upsets me. What’s worse is canceling day of flight. I live in Bismarck,ND. Not a lot of flight options from here. If my flight is canceled day of my entire trip is canceled.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. thebeachbum

thebeachbum Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So far, my SWA Friday flight from Dallas to Vegas is still viable.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dean Martin

Dean Martin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd say have a plan B...not to rain on your parade but our recent experience was they cancel or delay within 24 hours of your departure...usually less than 24 hours. Probably because they're still scrambling up to the last minute to make things work with pilots, flight, crew, ground crew, etc...

• Agree Agree x 2