1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Advise on playing the SWA credit card game for Companion?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Joe, Apr 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is the situation. I have Companion status for the remainder of 2018. I had a biz card, (now cancelled) but I still have a Plus & Premier card. I know there is nothing I can do in my name, but what about my wife for 2019?

She has not had a SWA card since 2015 when she got Companion status. She currently has no SWA cards in her name except for her being issued a card on my Premier card.

My questions:
    Could she apply for two SWA cards in 2019 and earn the 50,000 on each, then rack up another $10,000 for a 110,000 total. No problem on getting the $2,000 on each in 3 months.

Would the applications have to be staggered by any set time frame?

My Companion expires at the end of 2018, so if the above is doable, when should it be done to maximize the benefit?

Any hints or tips welcome.

Thanks,

2. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Highly doubtful because I'm sure they have safe guards in place to prevent that from happening.

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1 - get your wife off you SWA card. That counts as a card.

2 - I see no reason your wife can not do the same thing you did. We just did that.

3 - Get the cards in November/December of 2018. Do NOT, repeat, do NOT earn the bonus in 2018. In January, start putting all the charges you can onto the card. We earned our companion pass on Feb 19th. Good for all of the current year (2019 for you), and all of the following year (2020 for you).

Bingo.

ADDED: Make sure when you apply that your wife has not opened more than 4 credit cards in the previous 24 months. Chase if very tight on their 5/24 rule. Authorized users count, though sometimes you can talk them out of that.

4. Orphan

Orphan Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Current policy is that you can receive the bonus if you haven't in 24 months and the offer seems to range from 40k-60k. Ideal would be two 60k that she applies for near the end of 2018 and finishes the spending in the beginning of 2019. I did exactly that this year. There's no guarantee of what the sign up bonus will be in the future though.

You should also cancel your cards when the annual fees come up so you can do the same thing all over again.

5. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm learning the game. How long do I have to keep my "bonus getting" card that I acquired last year to push me over the Companion Pass amount? Does it count against you somehow to cancel it after a year? I don't use it ever, I use my other SW card for everything.

6. mag-nate

mag-nate Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    EDIT: Now that I've posted this, there is news coming out that Chase is no longer allowing individuals to apply for a second personal SW card if they already have one. I'm not sure on the rules of posting links, but you should be able to search for Southwest Card news and see it. You'd have to apply for the business card and one personal card if you want to earn the companion pass from sign-up bonuses.

You can only earn the bonus on the card once every 24 months per the terms and conditions of the bonus. So you'd need to wait two years from the day you received the bonus (not the day you opened the card) to close/open the card again. Note that closing a card and applying for the same card within 30 days may cause Chase to simply re-open your closed account without the bonus so you must also wait 30 days after closing your card to re-apply.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.