1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Acupuncture?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by nancyf, Jun 14, 2020.

1. nancyf

nancyf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have any of you had experience with acupuncture? I am considering it for my lower back pain... So, if you tried it - how did it work for you?

2. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s impossible for anyone to give you the right answer to this question.

I’ve tried acupuncture. I’m not advocating or discouraging anyone from trying it.

From my personal experience, it worked well to alleviate some of the pain that I was suffering from. I found that it plateaued after about 6 months. It didn’t decrease or increase the pain from my back (after 6 months). I continued for another 6 months after the plateau.

It may alleviate your pain....I can’t give you that answer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. joespoolhall

joespoolhall High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Same with me. I tried for my knees and shoulder. In both cases it helped some, but also hit a point of no more progression. This was also with two different providers a few years apart. You might try it and see if it helps. Have you tried PT? I would try that first.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nancyf

nancyf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did consider PT also...

5. parallax

parallax Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have had acupuncture and I have found it to be very helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johnzimbo

Johnzimbo VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Between this thread and the humorous tattoo thread I am wondering if it is National Needle day or something??

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been working on this chronic neck/shoulder/jaw issue that triggers pain in my right hip for about 10 years now. I have tried all kinds of treatments from steroids (no bueno on the blood sugars) to all different kinds of body work. So far, working with a good physical therapist (after trying about 10 other PTs) has given me the most relief. Unfortunately she just got let go because of the shut down and hasn't found a new place to work again. :cry:

I have tried a few acupuncturists. The first couple I felt were not at all effective, but people kept recommending them to me, so I kept trying. Found a guy last year that was VERY good and helped relieve some of that pain. However, insurance only covered 8 visits a year with him and that was gone in 4 months.

I didn't feel the pain relief was as complete as some of the other kinds of body work, but there was a difference with the acupuncture when I found a good one. (He trained and worked for several years in China, but I don't know if that made the difference).

I think you should always try things with an open mind. Acupuncture can make some people squeamish because of the needles, but you barely feel them. If nothing else, it's a chance to lay down in a quiet room for an hour. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. joespoolhall

joespoolhall High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would definitely try PT first. Like many, I had minor lower back issues for years and then had a torn tendon about eight years back. The first two things I've always been told is to drop some pounds if you need to and strengthen your core. If you do PT, you'll be introduced to exercises, most of which you can do at home. You'd be amazed at what even 15-20 min a day will do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. topcard

topcard Celebrating 40 Years of Vegas Trips in 2020!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in 2013, I used it (successfully) to help me quit smoking.

• Love Love x 2
  10. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There are many different types of acupuncture. I’ve been going every 2-3 weeks for about 7 years. I go to someone who practices 5 Elements acupuncture. I’m not someone who normally believes in this kind of mumbo jumbo. No horoscopes, psychics, etc. I went to this guy because my insurance at the time paid for this guy. I originally went for what I thought was carpal tunnel. I was losing feeling in my fingers with wrist pain. He treat that but also checked my “pulses” for other issues. I would roll my eyes every time.

After about 4 months my pain was subsiding and the feeling was returning to my fingers. I haven’t had any issues with it since. It worked so well and I started having him working on the horrible arthritis in my knee. The odd thing is I started feeling better, generally. Not a Pollyanna kind of thing but I was taking things in stride better. I still would get upset but it wasn’t as bad. I now believe this does work on some level. My arthritis isn’t gone. Some weeks it’s really bad but I truly believe it would be worse without acupuncture. Some weeks it seems to work great. First day after treatment it may be bad but the next week or so it’s fabulous.

What really surprised me is how he’s helped me with other things. I pulled a muscle in my back reaching into the washer one week. Not debilitating but annoying. I mentioned it and one needle later it as completely gone. I can tell him I’m feeling tired, he’ll give me a few needles and I walk out with lots of energy. I have a few things that pop up occasionally that he has cured every time. They may come back but he can fix them again. TMJ, ocular migraines, any muscle issues and general well being.

Can’t explain it. I’m still not sure about this 5 elements thing but as long as it keeps helping me I’ll still be going.

**adding that this guy also is affiliated with Mayo Clinic. They send him breast cancer patients that are having trouble with side effects of chemo.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    Hope they don't check for gambling fever....I'll be off the charts!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

I just played golf yesterday with an Acupuncturist.
    I " needled " him the whole round !
    RIM SHOT !!!!!
    Richard Alpert ?.......

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. nancyf

nancyf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see you are from Florida - me too... is this acupuncturist anywhere near Daytona Beach?

13. Ezzy711

Ezzy711 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Jacksonville...if you want to travel 90 minutes. He’s right off 95

Hope they don't check for gambling fever....I'll be off the charts!
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tried it for a variety of items.
    Hit is hit or miss.
    Some items it works great and other times no response.
    It is worth giving a try.

15. nancyf

nancyf High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I decided to give it a try... after just 2 visits my back pain was mostly gone - I am still going but my insurance isn't covering it so its gonna be expensive and may limit how often I go..

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  16. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well done! :thumbsup:

I've been on pins and needles while watching this thread!

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1