1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Accept the airline knows what it's doing or be concerned?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Mr. Brownestone, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Mr. Brownestone

Mr. Brownestone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked in for my Delta flight this morning for tomorrow morning and notice that my first flight is scheduled to land in Atlanta at 7:25 and I change planes. That flight to Vegas boards at 7:30. I'll have 5 minutes to deboard the first plane and find the gate for the next plane.

That seems like a small window. I don't fly often so maybe this is standard, but to say I'm currently concerned is an understatement. Anyone experience a plane change with that kind of short window?

2. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief bottle washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You should be concerned considering it takes 20-25 minutes from touch down to fully de-planing. I'd change flights.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jslabonte

Jslabonte Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't do it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. queuetee

queuetee High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Was this a change or did you book it this way?? That will not work at all.

5. emmas

emmas Low-Roller

Never assume that the airlines know what they're doing -- they don't. You need to call.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    small piece of information I almost missed.... it said BOARDING starts at 7:30. They usually print at least 30 minutes for that, sometimes more.

Just looked, the early flight leaves ATL at 8:10am

So, it is tight, but not impossible. I would not have booked a connection that tight unless I was sitting towards the front of the plane. I have done it many times though - probably connected in Atlanta 300+ times.

And, I am 99% sure that Delta would not issue a ticket with less than 30 minutes connection in ATL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ChilliPalmer

ChilliPalmer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the gate for first flight ask to be near the front of the plane. Know you're gate for next flight. If first flight is on time you will be fine. If it's not they will rebook you.

8. Mr. Brownestone

Mr. Brownestone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went ahead and rebooked for the 9:53 flight. I should have been more clear, it is a 35 minute connection time. The 5 minutes was from landing to boarding. Not being familiar with ATL I didn't want to risk it. The extra hour and 45 mins is good piece of mind for me.

I booked the flight originally so it's my fault. It's been my recent experience that from landing to actually getting off the plane it's always 20-25 minutes and that's just too tight a window for me.

Thank you all for the replies.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mjames1229

mjames1229 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, barring a delay on the inbound flight, your flight should arrive before 7:25 (the airlines give themselves a wide window so that "on time" rates can be marketed).

Though Atlanta is a very big airport, you should have enough time to go from gate to gate - provided you make your potty break quick and you don't take a coffee break.

Mention this to your flight attendant on your first flight. They can alert the crew of the second flight that you're on the way.

2017 Poker trip!
    Super Bowl or BUST!
  10. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Airlines are not supposed to book an itinerary with a connection unless they reasonably expect you can make it.

Most flight arrival times are padded, not specifically for this reason, but just so that expectations of arriving on time are satisfied.

I don't fly that much, mostly just to Vegas, but usually with a connection, and 90% of my flights land about 15 - 20 mins "early." I think the shortest connection time between arrival and departure I ever had was 35 mins (didn't love it).

As long as your first flight pushes off on time, you should be OK.

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    MCT (minimum connection time) for Delta domestic connections at Atlanta is 35 minutes (unless your plane is one of the larger configured for international travel, when the MCT goes up to 50 minutes.)

I'm not saying I love that short a connection (we fly Atlanta/Delta for most of our flights) but it's doable and Delta sells it that way expecting to be able to make those connections.....

12. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Airlines know people are connecting, assuming you land on time, they would likely tell you to hurry and notify the second plane to hold the gate open until you arrive. As others have said, they have extra time padded into the schedule and early morning flights will likely not be delayed.

13. Mr. Brownestone

Mr. Brownestone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Appreciate the replies. LIke I said above I went ahead and rebooked a flight two hours later. I live with the additional layover and feel like a fool when I arrive in plenty of time to make the original flight, I just really don't want to sweat it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 93 Octane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with your thinking, there's no need to be stressed the fuck out from wakeup alarm to making your connection. Now you can relax and enjoy your breakfast and flight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mr. Brownestone

Mr. Brownestone Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lesson learned on this one. Made it to the gate just as the flight I first scheduled was boarding, it's full so now I'm waiting for the one I rescheduled to for 1:45. I'm still not really upset about the decision as I would have been sweating it the whole way from yesterday morning right through landing in Atlanta. Peace of mind, in this case, is worth the wait to me.

Live and learn.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. merlin

merlin VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I honestly think you worried too much on this one, this kind of thing happens all day long, sounds like you had 20-25 min of cushion(time from when boarding begins to door closure).

17. 93 Octane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seriously? The OP stated his plane landed 5 minutes before his connection started boarding. Considering 20 minutes to de-plane then having to tram through ATL then run to god knows where plus he doesn't know his way around the massive airport. This scenario ends badly for a lot of travelers

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Add to this the fact that flights into ATL frequently run late!

19. queuetee

queuetee High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    and ATL is a huge airport

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Geogran

Geogran Tea Sipper

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And if you happen to have checked luggage with that short a turnaround, you might very well arrive in Vegas before your luggage. I've had a few bad experiences changing planes in Atlanta so I avoid it whenever possible.