1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A Smashing Birthday Celebration and Winning Mega More $$$$ with Great Elation!!! (8/19 to 8/23)

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by Flowers, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let me be clear. I am not an airline snob in the least but for trips to Vegas I just prefer to travel as best as I can, if I can get a good deal. And these tickets are not cheap; to the contrary. Often "you get what you pay for" but the contrast between Jet Blue's MINT service and Delta One is stark. MINT IMO is far superior, even though, in my experience, the tickets are typically less expensive.

For my next two trips to Vegas I am flying both JB and Delta. My preference is always MINT but if the flight times don't work then I give Delta One a shot and if that doesn't work or the flights are too expensive then my new process is either to book an EVEN MORE Jet Blue seat on a non-MINT flight or book a Delta Main Cabin seat (if I can grab one of the ones that doesn't have a seat in front of it and be happy with that or try and get a free upgrade to First Class, given that I am currently Gold and with flights in September should hit Platinum, through 2023).

Delta One isn't anywhere near as nice as MINT but it still beats sitting in a regular box for five hours.

I hope my review is helpful to anyone who is curious about either the JB MINT or Delta One experience. Oh, and I would strongly recommend only paying for a Delta One seat on a 767-400, NOT the 300. The base JB coach seats are just as, if not even more, comfortable.

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 625LORI

625LORI Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for another great report. I just flew Mint to Las Vegas but my amenity kit had the regular socks not those nice new ones you had on. They look so comfy. Maybe I'll get them in November. You are so right - Mint is the way to go but I will not pay some of the outrageous amounts they sometimes ask for. I was looking at Delta One but it appears it no loner exists for Las Vegas at least not the dates I was looking at. It's all just first class,

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  3. MCann

MCann VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got the bistro or market box options on ATL to LAX earlier in the day too, same as on the D1 redeye returning. Cant wait until AA and Delta have real meals again. I've had some pretty good meals on Delta, and the Zoes kitchen charcuterie in AA was always pretty good if not much of a "meal." One day maybe MINT will come to an airport close enough to me it will be worth a long drive to the airport to check it out!

ETA: in terms of Delta One, I've only been on it last trip with the 767-400. Having experienced that, I felt the same as you about the seats. I've traveled on both versions of AA's 787 Dreamliners, and both were far more comfortable and better equipped than the D1 764, and had a little more privacy with herringbone layout rather than straight line rows. The headphones in Delta's 764 were the only thing that wasnt inferior to American's 787s. Got blankets on AA too even in the height of last years late covid spike, came brand new sealed in plastic and I was allowed to keep it, so they probably werent reusing them at least at the time.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    It's been too long!
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I flew Delta One from LAS to JFK on 8/10 and I had both a pillow and a blanket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The 777-300 to HK on AA is even better than the 789s. You still get the PJs in biz class!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GTK. The FA said sometimes they do and sometimes they don't have them on flights to/from Vegas. I find that so, well, odd and not cool, especially given that this was a red eye flight so you know folks are going to want to sleep.

7. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ugh, I've been so busy I couldn't enjoy this TR live :(

However, what a great trip and most importantly...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FLOWERS!!!!!

Reading this got me pumped for Vegas in a few days!!!

• Love Love x 1
  8. klevegas

klevegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks so much for your trip report and belated Happy Birthday!

My take on Delta One food for domestic travel is even when they are serving hot meals, it was pretty good, but not comparable to what they serve on international Delta One flights. The Jet Blue mint menus that you post remind me of the international Delta One meals,

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. eliza

eliza VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another amazing report! I'm so glad that you had a fabulous birthday.

I can't wait to visit the new Overlook Bar. I was a little worried - there was some chatter when they closed Parasol Up that the new space was going to be an "ultra lounge". I was afraid that mean a focus on bottle service and $40 cocktails. The new space and the new cocktail menu look top notch.

I've never watched a boxing match and never thought of going to one - but that whole atmosphere looks like so much fun.

• Love Love x 1
  10. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I think the collective fear was that it was going to be too high end and expensive but the cocktail menu was pretty reasonably priced. The small bites have changed as well. I will check those out next time.

I still prefer the patio at night for the shows but for meeting someone for a quick drink or drinking in the afternoon solo lol before the shows on the lake commence, I actually like the improvements. It's beautiful too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. julia

julia Craps, VP & Microbews

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happy belated Birthday!! Always a treat to read a @Flowers trip report!

Lunar New Year Trip
    • Love Love x 1
  12. NickyJ

NickyJ Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi @Flowers! - I made dinner reservations next month at Delilah and Casa Playa. I know you ate at Delilah this trip. What did you try, and any dishes you'd recommend or ones you weren't crazy about? Would love to hear your thoughts on Casa Playa if you have plans to try it during your upcoming trip. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey @NickJ! Sorry for the delayed response. I am typically on the board every day but haven't been able to check in much over the last 3 weeks so I still need to wrap up this report . . . including my take on Delilah.

I honestly can't remember what I had as an entree but please don't take that as a bad sign. I REALLY enjoyed my experience there. And my two guests did as well, from the cocktails, to the appetizers, entrees and sides. We were too stuffed and didn't have time for dessert but the menu looked awesome. The service was excellent and the live music was fantastic. At least two different groups played during the course of dinner.

I had I think an 8 pm seating before the 10 pm Sebastian Maniscalco show. I wanted it to be late enough to hear the live music and potentially experience the transition to a more club like environment but as of 9:45 pm when we left that had not yet happened.

But boy, I loved the place. No pics though. Absolutely no pics inside. I am sure some people take some but I wanted to respect the rules. And the manager there I know well as she used to work at Lakeside. This is a big deal that she got the Delilah gig. I told her how impressive that was. It says a lot about her and I am of course ECSTATIC that I know her.

What I do clearly remember is the carrot souffle, which tasted like sweet potatoes. That and the creamed corn were spectacular. I ordered most of the sides for us to share and those two were IMO the best though the others were very good.

I am back in Vegas next Thursday night for a short amazing trip with my brother, SIL and @dbeuler. My host got me reservations for four for Delilah for Sunday night after the football game. So I will have a more detailed review from that experience.

But um, well, I am in degen mode this month as I took the plunge and confirmed my participation in the big $1M Wynncore slot tournament with a big buy in and that is THIS weekend. So yeah, I am headed to Vegas this weekend and next weekend. This weekend is a solo trip for the tournament and Barry Manilow. I mention it because I will be dining at Casa Playa this Friday night after Barry Manilow and Saturday night at Delilah, so um, I will have another review of Delilah later this week as well. :love: :ssst: :love:

I can't wait to savor Casa for the first time (it opens on Thursday) and Delilah again.

On a different note, did you ever try any of the speciality whiskeys during your last trip? I may try one or two this weekend or next weekend.

Wishing you fun planning for your October trip!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 3
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  14. emmas

emmas VIP Whale

Enjoy the back to back Vegas trips. Good luck with the tournament, and of course the gambling.

Looking forward to your review of Barry Manilow. Considering seeing him during my Thanksgiving trip, if he has a show then. Last saw him over 20 years ago on Jones. Beach.

• Love Love x 1
  15. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks @emmas!

I have seen Barry three times within the past three or four years, all at Westgate. This Friday will be I think the fourth show (third solo, one a few years ago was with my mom). So, yeah, I think his show is awesome. He is such an extraordinary songwriter and entertainer. I recall a couple of notes were challenges but far more important, I cried happy tears at each show and will likely do so again later this week.

If you have any interest at all I would definitely go!!!

16. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And see you at Thanksgiving if you are going to be around Wynncore! That's now my annual trip with my goddaughter and her mom/my bud, but I will likely have a couple of days on my own before they arrive.

• Like Like x 1
  17. JulianC

JulianC Amateur

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Welcome back to VMB!

While you're enjoying dinner at Delilah two weeks from tonight, my reservation at Delilah will be at probably the exact same time. I'll be the only person in the restaurant seated at a table for one. I'm thinking about Casa Playa before the show on Saturday night.

Good luck in the giant slot tournament!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  18. emmas

emmas VIP Whale

Definitely, hope to see you. I will be in Vegas for a week and at Wynn for 3 days mid-week, including Thanksgiving again.

And will look into the possibility of seeing Barry for sometime that week.

• Love Love x 1
  19. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't believe we will finally meet! We should grab drinks, in the Encore or Wynn RFB lounge or Overlook Bar, before dinner or the show. We'll be at the same show as well. I have early dinner reservations at Sinatra pre show that Saturday.

I am dining solo at Delilah this Saturday though I think/hope my host will join me. He's a great dinner mate.

20. VegasBJ

VegasBJ VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be there the same weekend. although our dinners are somewhat different. we have Delilah Friday night, SW Saturday night, and Sinatra Sunday night after the football game. @Packer will also be there that weekend

• Love Love x 1