1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

A buddy isn't allowed to go to Vegas

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by habs0nut, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bswim

bswim High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    when our income was MUCH lower my wife's sisters all wanted to go to Vegas. I put my foot down, I was just getting started in my trade and it would have been tight for one of us to go but for both of us to go would have been impossible. I was going to be damned if I was working 55-60 hours a week to pay for some trip that there was no way I could have enjoyed myself.
    In hindisght, my wife probably would have turned out OK, but I've seen enough divorced couples to know that it's a gamble LOL
    Fast forward 15 years, she can go do whatever she wants, and she feels the same way about me. Odd part is the rest the family didn't invest in themselves to further their careers, they're stuck on the pay scale of 15 years ago.

I doubt this is the case of the OP but just a possibility.

2. BC_ girl

BC_ girl Low-Roller

all I will say is " allowed".....that says it all, a grown person shouldn't be able to tell another grown person what they can or can't do, he isn't a child. I would never ever be with a guy who told me I wasn't allowed to go on my girls trips, and would never tell a guy that either in fact have always encouraged guys trips even to Vegas. But everyone's relationship is different, I know some guys from work who are in controlling relationships where they can't even have guys nights out or attend work parties unless spouses are invited, but hey if they choose to put up with that, that is their choice. And I have a girl friend who wasn't allowed to come to our high school reunion because spouses weren't invited. And she listened. Give me a break!

3. EastCoastVegasFan!

EastCoastVegasFan! VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is so funny, someone else is going through the same exact thing I experienced...lol!

July 19th - July 24th
  4. EastCoastVegasFan!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just had this same discussion with someone I met on this site. She takes the "guys" perspective on this whole thing. If you're going into a relationship (which is almost always the "best" time) and she is controlling...well... get out. I agree with most of the people on here. Go and have a good time without him. It's his bed, and he's making it. Has nothing to do with you.

July 19th - July 24th
  5. CaliMike

CaliMike “My home away from home”

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes "it's cheaper to keep her" :poke:

6. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's funny, we got together on Saturday night to watch GSP destroy Diaz. At one point we looked at each other and asked if any of us had invited Darryl. The answer was no from all of us. I guess it's getting to that point.

7. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This event is about the groom. If he'd really like to have a bachelor party in Vegas, do it for him.

Give up analyzing the friend and his controlling wife. If she had any issues with him going, out of respect for him she should have said they would discuss it at home.

As this guy is still your friend, when you return do something with him too. Do you know what kind of bachelor party he had? Just curious what she ok'd.

8. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sorry to rehash an old thread but the wedding happened this past weekend and the bachelor party was a couple of weeks ago. I figured I'd post a quick update in case anyone cares.

Needless to say we didn't make it Vegas. We didn't even make it to our Plan B which was Niagara. Too many guys didn't want to go (it's an hour away) and Niagara in the summer is very expensive and it was a long weekend here so we kept it in town and did the usual dinner / strip joint deal. A few of us did get together the night before and stayed up to 4am playing poker and drinking. It was a good night and I probably played the best night of poker I ever have but of course we decided not to put any money on the line. The next day we were looking for stuff to do during the day and we ended up going to the track as there was live thoroughbred racing and none of us had ever been. It was a blast even though none of us had any idea what we were doing and only one of us ended up winning anything. It's something I definitely would like to do again. Other than that it was pretty routine with lots of drinking and thankfully no one ended up in the hospital or got arrested.

In case you are wondering, Darryl did not attend (still trying to determine if he wasn't allowed out or not).

9. EastCoastVegasFan!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    God, that was depressing to ready. No offense, because I have the same sackless buddies that get dragged around by their balls all day, but your buds need to grow a pair. Poker for no money when you guys could have been in Vegas?! I have an annual trip, set in STONE, all of my buddies wives know about it. They don't like it, but who cares?! They should not be so controlling. They can have their husbands the other 360 days of the year. 5 days is for US in that fabulous town!

July 19th - July 24th
  10. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How can you play poker for no money? May as well play blackjack, or make up pretend horses to bet on.

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the follow up, I think the important thing is that you got together as a group and celebrated and had a good time. Going to the track is a lot of fun and screaming at a pony you have bet on is a rush.

Speaking of Niagara, I read somewhere there is a new-ish micro distillery over there. They are making white whiskey, vodka (from grapes), and gin. They are making a limited edition rye and you can put your name on a barrel which gives you dibs on a bottle when its released in a two years. I am thinking of doing this for a good friend (who drinks Weiser's) and it will give me a reason to make a trip to see him in Canada.

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Habs, thanks for being so kind in response to my reply on this topic. (And thanks for being a fan of the only proper hockey team in the league.) Also, thanks for updating us.

Were any of you guys paying attention to what happened in this update? They talked about going to Vegas (rock out with your :nono: ). That didn't happen. They talked about Niagara, one hour away. That didn't happen. They did an unorganized local night with only part of the crew. In other words, they couldn't get it together.

So, it was a big slam fest on this woman who may or may not be a vile human being and yet she was not responsible for the downfall of this bachelor party. Hmmmmm.

What's my point?

Trying to get social events together these days is like herding cats because of adulthood. Work, not everybody works Monday to Friday 9 to 5 with holidays off, tight household budgets, kids, relationships, phobias, anxieties, this one still owes that one money and has been avoiding them, that one grabbed the other one's wife's butt at Xmas and won't apologize, this one doesn't want to admit to being in debt over his head and can't even rub 2 nickels together to make a dime....

I could go on. I'm not defending the lady, and I never have. But, I speak guy and I speak man and I've been married a long time. You guys go on body slamming this chick. I'll be over here doing my nails.

13. Someone

Someone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    here is a tip for next time

just toss out that the plans are either Tijuana or Vegas......the wives/girlfriends will give the OK to Vegas every time......unless they are tired of you and you have huge money in the bank and your life insurance is paid up and valid for incidents in foreign countries.....then they might give the OK to TJ

14. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sooooooo.....Someone....uh...how would you like to bring my husband on your next guy's trip to Tijuana? I don't want to be bossy. You can take him to any (of the dangerous) part(s) of Mexico. That's OK with me. Just tell me how much and the dates and I'll get packed. I'm sure you'll have a really good time. He's a lot of fun.

15. vegas_or_bust

vegas_or_bust High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with the post above.

Our group of buddies started an annual March Madness trip to LV last year. There was certainly a lot of eyebrows raised from the wives, and I am sure there were some intense discussions behind closed doors. However, we all made it to Vegas (except one). This year none of those arguments are taking place, as we have been firm that this an annual trip we are taking each year and the wives have been more accepting. In fact, even the guy who couldn't go last year is going this year, as I think his wife felt really sheepish for being so controlling last year.

The point of my post is this: If you are in this situation you just need to be firm and schedule the trip. The spouse may be mad for a bit, but they will get over it, and the trips in subsequent years will be much easier to plan and carry out. Of course being respectful to your wife during the trip and keeping things under control certainly helps as well :beer:

16. habs0nut

habs0nut VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I should be clear that the part about Darryl not being let out for the bachelor party was a joke. Yes, his wife did put the stipulation on about Vegas but to the best of our knowledge she's not the reason why he didn't end out coming out. He actually worked on the Saturday and it would have been about a 30-40 minute drive for him. The right thing for him would have been to show up seeing as it's one of his boys getting married but he chose not to. While we like to blame his wife for a lot of things, we've come to conclusion a lot of it is him. He was always a little anti-social to a degree but it's gotten a lot worse in the past couple of years and we're not sure why.

As for the bachelor party itself, well it almost didn't happen and I'm honestly surprised we pulled off what we did. Back when first started kicking around the idea of Vegas we had no clue about the make up of the bridal party. We found out in May that all three of us weren't being included. The reason being is that bride was only having a maid of honour and they didn't want an unbalanced bridal party which makes sense. So instead of having to choose just one of us and risk pissing off the other two, the bride's brother in law was chosen to be best man. Alex was his best man a couple of year's ago so I guess he was returning the favour and avoiding rocking the boat. The funny thing is none of us would have been offended with whoever of the three he picked but what are you going to do.

This is where the bachelor party almost didn't happen. The best man is kind of an awkward fellow and didn't have a clue what to do. We were of the mindset of throwing our own one weekend with just our group and then letting the best man do his own thing. We were going to do the weekend in Niagara. When it was clear that he needed help we offered to do it for him and make our planned weekend the party. We decided to eventually change the plan solely for economic reasons (the costs were starting to get out of hand) and we figured we'd get some of the guys who were outside our group who were on the fence to come out which didn't end up happening anyways.

We did the poker night with just the three of us and two very close friends. We did originally agree to an actual buy in for each game but I guess after a night of drinking none of us could remember in the morning who owed what so we just let it slide. The important thing was that we had a blast that night.

I know the events of Saturday sounded kind of unplanned and stale but trust me it was anything but. We decided to keep it simple just for the sake of it and we ended up having a blast. I even orchestrated having the best man pulled up on stage at the strip joint and whipped with his own belt! Poor guy didn't have a bachelor party of his own when he got married so I felt bad for him. :wink2:

17. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the update, but sad to hear no Vegas craziness occurred. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.